Amazing identification

Just found us? Entering CarverAudio.com for the first time? Post your introductions here and say hi to all of the other Carver enthusiasts.
Kwipmentkrew

Amazing identification

Post by Kwipmentkrew » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Greetings. I just found this site and would like to post my system on here but I am unsure of which Carver amazings I have. I have two pair, both have 60 inch ribbons and 4 woofers. 4 woofers are traditional in appearance, and four seem to have a silver honeycomb insert in front of the voice coil. If someone can help me resolve this, I will post my system and introduce myself. Thank you for any help and resolving this.

UncleMeat
TFM-35

Re: Amazing identification

Post by UncleMeat » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:12 pm

Hello! Are the 4 woofers with the aluminum honeycomb drivers on one speaker or both? Those honeycomb woofers were the 'original' design of the ALS. When Bob first started marketing them the ribbons were 2x 30" per-side and the woofers were planar/honeycomb. He later offered an upgrade to 60" ribbons on those early ALS. When the factory went to shipping with 60" ribbons they also switched to the paper cone woofers. It sounds like your system has replacements for 4 of the original honeycomb drivers.

Some photos of the speakers from the front and the internals from the back would be very helpful to us.

Welcome to Carveraudio.com!

Les Johnson

Post by Les Johnson » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:23 pm

I suspect you've spent what felt like a long while in pergatory waiting to be ok'ed as a member. Now waiting through the individual posts at first being on hold until checked for lack of certain specific content.

So post up some pics and get those first few done so you can communicate. And welcome from another pretty new guy here too.

sea
TFM-35

Post by sea » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:16 pm

Kwipmentkrew wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:15 pm
Greetings. I just found this site and would like to post my system on here but I am unsure of which Carver amazings I have. I have two pair, both have 60 inch ribbons and 4 woofers. 4 woofers are traditional in appearance, and four seem to have a silver honeycomb insert in front of the voice coil. If someone can help me resolve this, I will post my system and introduce myself. Thank you for any help and resolving this.
Hi. Welcome to the site. You said you have two pair. As Russ indicates, it sounds like one is an original set that had the Carver supplied upgrade installed. This included two 60 inch ribbons replacing the four 30's. A new crossover was also provided.

The second pair sounds like a later Platinum model that came from factory with 60inch ribbons and paper cone woofers instead of the honeycomb.

Ed

UncleMeat
TFM-35

Post by UncleMeat » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:12 am

sea wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:16 pm
Kwipmentkrew wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:15 pm
..I have two pair...
Hi. Welcome to the site. You said you have two pair. As Russ indicates, it sounds like one is an original set that had the Carver supplied upgrade installed. This included two 60 inch ribbons replacing the four 30's. A new crossover was also provided.

The second pair sounds like a later Platinum model that came from factory with 60inch ribbons and paper cone woofers instead of the honeycomb.

Ed
Oh, I thought he was saying a single set with mixed woofers. I agree with Ed, you've got a set of Originals w/60" and a set of ALS/Platinums.

Return to “"The Welcome Mat"”