It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:54 pm

Here is the speaker project that I just finished

<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:46 am

Re: Here is the speaker project that I just finished

Beautiful job on the speakers. I especially like the care you took with the crossovers (most are just a jumble of point to point connections slapped on peg board any way they'll fit). That said, if you're interested in bi-amping, you might go with an external active crossover. I've found most crossovers take about 20% of your power (like 5v in and 4v to the speakers). You can eliminate that and play around with the crossover point at will with an external active.

As far as amps go, maybe it's just me, but unless an amp has one of Bob's signature circuits in it (triac controlled mag-coil or tracking downconverter), it just doesn't seem to me to be a Carver inspired amp. I have two Carver amps that don't have that, a C-500 which was before he invented the mag-coil amps, and an A-500x which was either just before or just after he left Carver. The TFM-35 is another "regular" amp, whereas, the TFM-42/45 and up are mag-coil.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:47 pm

BillD said;

As far as amps go, maybe it's just me, but unless an amp has one of Bob's signature circuits in it (triac controlled mag-coil or tracking downconverter), it just doesn't seem to me to be a Carver inspired amp.

OK BillD, you just sold me on the Sunfire amp's! I thought that was TNRabbits job?, he's been slacking lately! :lol:
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:19 pm

Glad to be of service
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

peck555

TFM-6cb

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:16 pm

You did a beautiful job on your new speakers, my hat's off to ya. =D>
<<

madmike46

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:42 pm

Wow nice speakers, what kind of wood is that? I really like how your X-overs turned out. Another nice amp would be the M500t. Great job.
<<

kingman

Post Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:52 am

What is the power range on your new speakers? That would have a little to dictate the amp you should use if you don't fuse them. They look very professionally done! =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Jazzman53

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:23 pm

From a fellow hobby woodworker and speaker builder, EXCELLENT job on all counts.
I thought about posting my last speaker project at Parts Express but I doubt they would accept DIY eletrostats, even though they are hybrids with Parts Express woofers. I admire your woodworking skills (might even trade you a Carver amp for that bandsaw-- I see it has one of those blades that cuts around corners :-)
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:40 pm

Impeccable workmanship. Welcome to the forum.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Jazzman53

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:37 am

c2rower wrote:
elgrau wrote:Sweet. I assume these not from a "kit"? I'm no fan of "complex" x-overs, but I like how you "store" yours! Welcome aboard!
Ed

Actually I have the bug to do a biamped system. I found a neat site with some interesting reading.

http://sound.westhost.com/articles.htm

It's not all that expensive to bi-amp, especially if you already have a second amp around. I picked up a used DBX 223 active crossover on Ebay for $70 (see them on Ebay often) and it's a flexible and clean sounding unit.
Charlie
Previous

Return to "The Welcome Mat"