FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:30 am

We happy few...

<<

Colorado Doc

Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:20 am

We happy few...

Just joined you fine folks who appreciate and respect Carver's line of thinking. I'm glad to be a part of some great discussions. I am still the proud owner of the Carver C-1 and two M-400 amps for each of my ADS 1530 monitors. All purchased in 1982 and still sound like... well you know.
I'm in the process of building my home theatre and Sunfire will dominate the environment.
I know I can learn much from many of you and my question becomes: How can I provide information that might enhance the listening pleasure for all of us.
Well, to this end, I'm a Ph.D, psychologist, behaviorist by training with a background in animal learning and audio/visual discrimination processses. For almost 25 years, I've been examining behavioral discrimination properties of sound from Sonic Halography (SH). As many of you know, there are various levels of "knowing" SH. There is the stunning effect when you first hear it in comparison to "conventional stereo". (Yes, remember "your first time"?)
But after many exposures, there is a way to listen to SH. It is a natural behavioral process that readjusts what you "see" when you "hear". How this comes about is something I'd like to share with you. Much of it is psychphysics and Carver has described this at length (a story I love to hear again and again... sort of like my father's WW2 stories). But the manner in which behavior (e.g., perceptual behavior) is shaped and maintained is the subject of the experimental analysis of behavior and something that I believe I can bring to you folks.
And besides all this, I've catalogued hundreds of LPs and CDs over the years to illustrate my point. For example, if you want to hear "this" over "there", here's how to do it.
Anyhoo, I digress. I'm so pleased to be with you folks and hope you can teach me how to get the most out of Carver and, very soon, Sunfire.
"Either he's dead or my watch has stopped."

Theatre: TGP-401, TGA-7401, (2) CRS-3, CRS-3C, (4) CRM-2BIP, TS-EQ12, TS-EQ10,
NON-SF/C: 98"Black Diamond, Mitsubishi HC7000, Oppo BDP-83SE

Stereo: C-1, (2) M-400
NON-SF/C: ADS L-1530, ADS C-2000, Technics SL-10, Nakamichi LX-5
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:08 am

Re: We happy few...

Welcome, Colorado Doc! You should contact Bob ('The Man') Carver and speak with him about Sonic Holography (SH). Given your background, I'm sure he would be very interested in speaking with you about it. After selling my AL-IIIs, replacing them with Sunfire CRM-2s (with no regrets, I might add), I had the opportunity to speak with Bob, where he spoke of the impact psychoacoustic effects (including SH) had on that particular speaker design. Very illuminating!

After having owned a Carver 4000t equipped with SH for many years, I found I missed it, especially on some recordings (I'd like to get a copy of your 'catalogue'), after I upgraded to a Sunfire Vacuum Tube Preamp, 'forcing' me to seek out and purchase a C-9 Sonic Hologram Generator to incorporate in my setup.

Again, Welcome!

P.S. Yes, I remember my first time, but it didn't have anything to do with SH... :-$
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:17 am

Welcome to the forum!
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

Uncle Paul

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:40 am

Hi Collorado Doc, and welcome to the forum!

Just wanted to mention that there is an event going on called Carverfest that many of the frequent forum posters are attending, so the site may be a little slow for a while. There is a section in the forum for Carverfest that you may be interested in checking out.
Carver CT-27v / CT-28v / TFM-55x / TFM-15cb / TFM-6cb / AV-405 / SD/A360
JBL XPL-200A / XPL-140A / L-46 / 4344 mk2 clones in progress /
Pioneer SA-9500II / RT-707 / Technics SL-1800 II TT
SAE 4400 Active Crossover / Audionics CC2
Yamaha RX-V863 AV Receiver / Denon TU-380RD
Panasonic BDP 50 Blu Ray / Toshiba HD-A35 HD DVD
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:47 am

Welcome to the forum.
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:56 am

Welcome Doc! I can't speak for the others, but I know I could use a little help...however, it appears the Doctor has the same affliction as the patient? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:18 pm

Welcome Colorado Doc! Great introduction, enjoyed reading your post. You sound like a guy who knows what he wants and how to achieve the sound you desire. Glad you mentioned Sunfire, I too am basing my system around sunfire and expect it to blow my neighbors away! :lol: oh, excuse me, miss-print, blow me away! \:D/ I am curious, as Stereo_buff mentioned, I have also heard the best way to really hear SH is to attach the C-9 SH unit with an analog signal. I have not heard this C-9 so it's hard to compare it to my Sunfire TGP-III SH? Just wanted to mention that if you are interested in picking one up for a hearing test? Great to have you aboard!
<<

Colorado Doc

Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:26 pm

Well thanks to one and all. I've read about Carverfest and perhaps one day I'll get out there.
I'm very familiar with the C-9 unit. In fact the first time I ever heard SH was thru a C-9 that my doctoral supervisor owned and raved about. He played Miles Davis Kinda Blue and it was amazing. That remains one of my favorite test LPs (as well as just favorite LP). During my doctoral qualifying exams (which if you haven't had the pleasure of this, for me it was like an academic Bar Mitzvah), one of my exam questions was: "Define Sonic Holography", obviously submitted by my supervisor to keep me grounded.
One thing I can pass along about SH is that if you really want the best effect, go back and re-read Carver's original manual (for me, it's the C-1) and follow his suggestions as closely as possible. I find that every time I read it, I get something new, try it and, WOW... "why didn't I do that before." For example, take seriously the option of placing your speakers along the long wall of the room rather than the short. In doing so, the soundstage grows so much, you will create images that are mindblowing.
If your speakers are set up right now and want to hear something really cool, check out "Birthday" by the Beatles (remaster or LP). A/B it with stereo and check out the location of the lead vocals. Yipes, eh? Some of George Martin's stuff comes thru pretty nice. Blue Note LPs are wonderful, as are the jazz ECMs. Columbia recordings are hit and miss. Billy Joel in just about any format is horrid but Simon and Garfunkel sound fine (e.g, Bookends)
Cheers, all.
"Either he's dead or my watch has stopped."

Theatre: TGP-401, TGA-7401, (2) CRS-3, CRS-3C, (4) CRM-2BIP, TS-EQ12, TS-EQ10,
NON-SF/C: 98"Black Diamond, Mitsubishi HC7000, Oppo BDP-83SE

Stereo: C-1, (2) M-400
NON-SF/C: ADS L-1530, ADS C-2000, Technics SL-10, Nakamichi LX-5
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:40 pm

What's up Doc !?!? I'd be fascinated to hear which side of "The Great Cable Debate" you champion. In essence, do you beleive that a $5,000.00 pair of cables actually makes a significant sonic difference, or is it really in the mind of the listener who shelled out the cash for said cables? Inquiring minds want to know ! Welcome !!! :D
<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:20 am

WELCOME, Doc~

We'll be anxiously anticipating more of your nuggets of Sonic Holography Wisdom...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:18 am

Welcome Doc. :)
<<

dok

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:06 am

WELCOME COLORADO DOC! Obviously you too have the additction. Enjoy the forum and all the good folks here.
I may not have it all together...But together we have it all!
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:48 pm

By coincidence, Doc, my speakers are on the long wall, perhaps that's why I think they sound so good.

Speaking of some recordings that sound very nice using SH, I suggest the "Bill Evans, Complete Village Vanguard Recordings": http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Village-Vanguard-Recordings-1961/dp/B000AMJEKA Just about every track is outstanding. Especially so, when you consider how they were originally recorded.

Another album that sounds quite good with SH is Dick Hyman's "Brasilian Impressions". You can purchase it on CD here: http://www.amazon.com/Brasilian-Impressions-Dick-Hyman/dp/B000EZ8AWG/ref=sr_1_1/187-2411207-8905537?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1253220143&sr=1-1, but the LP is much better (I have both).

I'm with gdb - I'd like to hear your take on "The Great Cable Debate" as well.
<<

corkdust

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:02 pm

Howdy Doc, welcome!
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:25 pm

Welcome Doc.