FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:59 am

Retired E-tech, roped into Carver matters by my kid :-)

<<

freetek

Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:21 pm

Retired E-tech, roped into Carver matters by my kid :-)

The first time I read the name Carver was in some audiophile mag years ago in a review of an early Carver power amp that was incredibly small for the rated power; don't remember the model but it was just a cube of mostly iron and copper.
I read up on the theory side of them but never have owned one.

My youngest son and his boss occasionally cruise a recycling center close to our town for scrap metal they use in his welding and repair shop which they can purchase at scrap prices.
I don't want to make anyone feel too bad about it but my kid spotted a clean-looking box with a masking-tape sticker on it that had only 'broke' scrawled on it and paid a buck (as in $1) for it.

It is an M-500t in pretty nice cosmetic condition, only a couple of hot spots visible on the PC boards and a bunch (6) of decayed larger electrolytic caps in the power supply. They all test from 30-90 % low at line frequency and show fairly large losses.
All semiconductors and other components that often fail in power amps, check out OK and the 10A fuse is intact so I suspect it was just producing too much line noise and got dumped because of it.

After checking specs and prices on the needed caps, I figure it is worth risking about $35-40 for the capacitors to see if anything else is ailing before send him back to the recycling center with it.

Thought I'd drop in to see if anyone else is fighting the aging problems with their gear and if this is a common problem with them.
Anyone suffering from trying to locate detail parts of a non-Carver nature would be well-advised to check mouser.com for them; their search engine is well designed and opposed to most parts houses, they HAVE NO MINIMUM, a huge assortment of electronic parts (current catalog is 1,650 pages of small print!) and they charge actual shipping costs.
It was founded by a teacher decades ago who hated how small buyers were treated.

I can probably help with electronic problems of a general nature relating to your Carvers but I do not claim any familiarity with any specific models.

Steve Allison
Win back your freedom!

Freedom's home address:

http://lp.org
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:50 pm

Did your son try and get that amp for 50 cents or did he just fork over the buck?

The little amp you were reading about was the 200wpc M-400t, a 6" cube. Nice gee whiz amp but sonically nothing to write home about.
<<

freetek

Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:21 am

George wrote:Did your son try and get that amp for 50 cents or did he just fork over the buck?.

LOL - Hey, that isn't polite haggling over the potential scrap value when that (county operated) recycling center is already losing thousands a year just existing!

George wrote:The little amp you were reading about was the 200wpc M-400t, a 6" cube. Nice gee whiz amp but sonically nothing to write home about.

Since I was still using the 40W tube-type amp I designed and built to drive my woofer and an early (very) 'solid state' stereo amp to drive some crappy midrange and tweeters in home-built enclosures with great sound-deadening material (opened egg cartons) glued inside, that first Carver was a near miracle and it sorely wounded my pride not having built anything of substance with semis yet.

< damn i'm getting old! >

Steve A.
Win back your freedom!

Freedom's home address:

http://lp.org

Return to "The Welcome Mat"