FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:57 pm

Hello from Wisconsin's East Coast

<<

TeamQue

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Hello from Wisconsin's East Coast

Hello forum!!!

I found this forum after doing a Google search for Carver tuners.

I have a HR-895 tuner that drive 2 Cerwin Vega DX 9 speaker. The surround sound consists of Venturi center (V52 CLR) and surround (V52 SI) speakers. Finally a KLH Audio sub woofer (KSUB - 10). The tuner really kicks especially with the DX 9's.

I'm not a big sound freak so forgive me in advance if I ask some odd questions.

I'm torn between keeping this system or selling it for a smaller sized system. I have a second receiver - Pioneer SX - 780 I love because it was my first receiver I purchased on my own.

I've lost touch with electronics since I got married and have kids. I have no idea how much the Carver is worth or is it still comparable to the new systems today?

Thanks for letting me join this forum !!!

Team Que
<<

Breaking Glass

M-400t CUBE

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Hello from Wisconsin's East Coast

You can search sold items on eBay to get an idea of what they have been bringing. But I have OCCD so I would not be able to sell it.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:02 pm

This was taken off AudioGon bluebook > Carver HR-895 : Used Prices
New $1250.00
Used $250.00
$400.00 High
$190.00 Low
$260.00 Last
Jan 00 to 05
Carver HR-895 released 1992, 110w x 3, 50w x 2, ProLogic

Your speakers look nice but I wonder about the age? There are speaker re foam kits out there. The pioneer @ 55 watts would not serve you well if your trying to upgrade your system. There are several here that push "Power" baby! Tell us a little more of your trying to accomplish? Do you want separates or a receiver? Are more interested in only 2-channel or Home Theater? It looks like you have a HT set-up now but if you are looking for improvements Carver and Sunfire are the way to go, period.
Carver has great older amps you can assemble for an awesome HT. Sunfire offers some affordable (older) processors and 5 channel amps that would blow your room away! The options are sometimes overwhelming! I was in your situation over a year ago. I have learned a lot on this forum from some very smart knowable people! This is the place to be! Welcome again!
<<

Breaking Glass

M-400t CUBE

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Those dx 9 don’t need much power if I remember right they have like 100db efficiency. I have a pair of CV 380SE I bought new, my first pair of speakers, and I ran them with a 1.5t. They are 101db at one watt so if you crank them up you can hear them a mile away. I had them in a 12 X 50 trailer I was living in at the time. I do have one piece of totally unrelated advice, never live in a trailer if you can avoid it, especially one that was built in the early 70’s.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:37 pm

Breaking Glass wrote:Those dx 9 don’t need much power if I remember right they have like 100db efficiency. I have a pair of CV 380SE I bought new, my first pair of speakers, and I ran them with a 1.5t. They are 101db at one watt so if you crank them up you can hear them a mile away. I had them in a 12 X 50 trailer I was living in at the time. I do have one piece of totally unrelated advice, never live in a trailer if you can avoid it, especially one that was built in the early 70’s.

That's great advice and Funny!
Attachments
funny.jpg
funny.jpg (30.24 KiB) Viewed 462 times
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:21 am

Welcome
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:19 pm

Hello and Welcome!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

TeamQue

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks Guys for the welcome !!!

My DX9's are still in excellent condition. They are hooked up to the Pioneer now and still send my wife and kids into warp drive when I feel the need to rock... :-({|= Especially when I play Zappa.

When they were hooked up to the Carver, look out !!! \:D/

I'm suffering from room constraints so a smaller system is what I'm leaning to. The system was in a 22' x 24' living room but when we moved, the space shrunk considerably. The DX 9's are a huge speak and my wife likes a Bose' speaker system because of their size.

We'd like a full surround sound but the house we live in today will not support it. Maybe our next house...

Team Que

Return to "The Welcome Mat"