FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:10 am

Hi from Southern California

<<

kenmacg

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: Hi from Southern California

frankieD and Scarabeo,

I have been in Ventura for the last 15 years..... I got my Carver stuff in the early eighties when living in Northern Cal (Carver dealer was in Berkeley).

BillD,

I am using the M400a to power the Amazings. It can power them to the point that the neighbors knock on my door, but I very rarely play them that loud in a 15 x 20 room. Typical everyday listening volume keeps the lights on the amp at the lowest level. Funny you should ask, after having the system for year or more, the Carver dealer brought to my house another amp to audition that he was sure I would like a lot better (it was either a 1.0t or a 1.5t, I forget which). I could immediately tell there was an audible difference - smoother, but less clear sounding. I liked the sound of the M400a better, and kept it. I read somewhere that when asked which amp he was the most proud of, Bob Carver mentioned the M400, although that possibly has mostly technical development or business reasons behind it.
<<

lives country ( carver )

TFM-25

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:09 pm

no.....t-mod
series resistors??
country's...pure sole...
<<

kenmacg

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:51 pm

No, I guess I prefer the Solid State amp sound with the Amazing Originals. When my speakers were delivered, the dealer said that Carver had just changed the crossover network to make them sound smoother. The speakers do sound inherently smooth, which is why I think combining them with a smoother sounding amp was a bit too much.

Having said that, the best speaker/amp combination I have ever heard was a big Conrad Johnson integrated tube amp powering Wilson speakers in a well treated room, so I know tube amps can sound fantastic. Way more than I could ever afford......
Previous

Return to "The Welcome Mat"