FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:29 am

Newb with a question

<<

fly

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:33 am

Newb with a question

I have a couple of Carver components I bought new in the mid-1980s. I’m trying to decide what to do with. I can keep them, of course, and use them. Or I can sell them. Either way, they would need servicing to return them to top sound quality, as they haven’t been used in several years. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with them that a thorough cleaning and perhaps some minor tweaking wouldn’t correct (getting some distortion in the speakers, mainly).

The components are The Carver Receiver and Carver TLM-3600 multiple-disc CD Player. They drive a set Bose 901 Series V speakers with equalizer (yeah, I know, firewood, shut up) lol.

I’m curious what a ball-park figure would be to have them cleaned and tweaked to top sound quality and where I should ship them to have the work done, or take locally (Grand Rapids, Michigan) that services Carver stuff.

Also, if I got them up and working properly, what would be a fair price to ask if I put them up for sale on, say, craigslist? (Fair as in I don’t want to try and squeeze every possible dime of value out of them, but don’t want to give them away, either).

Sorry if these are pretty basic questions. I know very little about audio components.

Thanks.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:23 am

Re: Newb with a question

Welcome Fly! It sounds like you don't really know what to do and maybe your conclusion will depend on cost? The Receiver (nice receiver for the day) is not worth much, Used $260.00 taken from AudioGon blue book. You could send it in for repair that would cost you 375.00 to Bob and Rita's repair shop > http://www.ritasvintageaudio.net/
I think I would upgrade, sell what you got and start looking for newer better Carver/Sunfire. Take a look at the Sunfires! Awesome! and not necessarily the newer. That's just my opinion. Good luck, and welcome again.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:59 am

Welcome to the forum!

It all depends on weather you want to spend the money to have them serviced. Or you could like Jag said sell what you have and use that plus the money you would have spent for either already serviced equipment or newier Sunfire or other equipment.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:23 pm

Welcome
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Breaking Glass

M-400t CUBE

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:06 pm

Welcome. I would sell the Bose on eBay and service the carver receiver. That’s a nice unit to use somewhere and if you are like me you will sell it then want one back later.
<<

fly

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:14 pm

Thanks for the responses. It helps.

Yeah, the cost to have the components serviced is mainly what I was looking for -- as a balance against what they would go for on, say, craigslist in an “as is” condition for any aficionado/parts hunter that may be interested. Knowing where to ship them for service helps, too (still have the original boxes and packing material).

When thinking about it, selling them to upgrade doesn’t make a lot of sense for me because I don’t listen to music all that much anymore, not like when I was younger. Still, it’s nice to have something for when the urge strikes me. As such, I’m leaning toward having them serviced and keeping them.

As for the Bose 901s, I get the disparaging opinions about them in general and it's probably justified, but they really are good enough for my purposes in that my listening room has hardwood paneling and a hardwood drop-ceiling to where the direct reflecting feature actually sounds pretty good.

The speakers need service attention as well – a repacking (re-foaming, whatever it’s called) at a minimum and I think there may be an issue with one of the drivers (which would be warranty work), so I have to factor that into my estimated cash outlay, too.

As an aside, back when I bought the system, the speakers and the Carver receiver came packaged together in a limited-edition joint offering between Bose and Carver. The wood side panels on the receiver are oak and match the veneer of the speakers. Still look pretty good after 25 years.

Thanks for the advice.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:30 pm

fly wrote:Thanks for the responses. It helps.

Yeah, the cost to have the components serviced is mainly what I was looking for -- as a balance against what they would go for on, say, craigslist in an “as is” condition for any aficionado/parts hunter that may be interested. Knowing where to ship them for service helps, too (still have the original boxes and packing material).

When thinking about it, selling them to upgrade doesn’t make a lot of sense for me because I don’t listen to music all that much anymore, not like when I was younger. Still, it’s nice to have something for when the urge strikes me. As such, I’m leaning toward having them serviced and keeping them.

As for the Bose 901s, I get the disparaging opinions about them in general and it's probably justified, but they really are good enough for my purposes in that my listening room has hardwood paneling and a hardwood drop-ceiling to where the direct reflecting feature actually sounds pretty good.

The speakers need service attention as well – a repacking (re-foaming, whatever it’s called) at a minimum and I think there may be an issue with one of the drivers (which would be warranty work), so I have to factor that into my estimated cash outlay, too.

As an aside, back when I bought the system, the speakers and the Carver receiver came packaged together in a limited-edition joint offering between Bose and Carver. The wood side panels on the receiver are oak and match the veneer of the speakers. Still look pretty good after 25 years.

Thanks for the advice.

Hey, nothing wrong with keeping the receiver. If you have really liked it and have come emotionally attached (it's ok) sending it in for refurb is the way to go. It will come back like "as new" that will last you another 20 years. And if you do sent it in, request that Bob Carver sign it!!! He does that, cool huh!
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Rolland offers a repair that is cheaper if you want to keep the costs down. Good Luck! :)

Just dropping to say hi. Hope all you Carver fans are doing well. Just wanted to update everyone on the shop. We are still doing great and have many happy customers. Are prices are still the same for the total chassis refresh. $299.00 total recap plus all repairs and update on all M series amplifiers and all TFM series amplifiers less the TFM-75 as they are basically mono block in one package so they are more $$ for total recap. We hope all are getting through this rotten economy its getting a bit on the ugly side. If anyone is interested in a special offer we are doing some free upgrades for January and February the upgrades are polypropylene bypass capacitors in the analog preamps such as the C-1 C-2 and all the amplifiers. Also if on a budget we can offer a lower rate on repairs if you just want repairs, they will be in the neighborhood of $179.00 to $229.00 plus shipping. The chassis refresh is still the best way to go but if we can trim some dollars to help out we are happy to do so. Take care. PS I will try to stop in more often but we have been quite busy. Thanks again for all your support.

Sincerely,
Rolland

Carver Audio Repair Center
Hi-Tech Audio Ltd.
2125 SW 19th St.
Gresham Oregon 97080
503-618-7605 Fax 503-674-8593
http://www.carveraudiorepair.com
<<

fly

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:03 pm

Yeah, no, I don't have any emotional attachment to the receiver. :lol: It's just that my needs are small. Selling the whole system including the speakers, taking the cash and applying it to a modern-tech system wouldn't be worth it to me I don't think. Plus, I have an pending HDTV and home theater components purchase on the horizon and the money could be used better toward that end, I'm thinking.

So, sending the receiver in to either Bob/Rita or Rolland, it would be best to insure it for $250 or so? That would be fair market value for reimbursement if it was damaged?
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:53 pm

Your last post answered your first post.
If you want to settle down and put together some stuff you are proud of - do that.

Maybe that is repairing the stuff you have or upgrading. I suspect you are just tinkering with stereo again. I have an old Harley, an old truck, and all this old Carver stuff. None of it is for sale as I like it too much too ever let go. Get stuff like that. In all areas some say I could upgrade, but I know better.

If KingMan don't give me a "YES" on this post, I may never post again - cause I am right.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:21 pm

The question is does the stuff still work??? If they do, buy a can of Deoxit (tuner or contact cleaner) and open the tops of them, spray all the moving switches, and let it dry. Try to play them again. I have found this process, sometimes repeated, will bring the dead back to life!!! Good luck!!! P.S.... Do this with the power OFF!!!!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:42 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:
If KingMan don't give me a "YES" on this post, I may never post again - cause I am right.

I see Kingman posted and "no mention" of giving you a Yes? I guess that means you will never post again!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

fly

Post Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:45 am

Thanks. Actually, the first responses answered the first post which, in turn, led to my follow-on post. The first post was asking for repair estimates and where to ship or drop off locally the goods, as well as value of the components on the market, should I decide to sell. The first responses told me it wouldn’t be cost-beneficial to repair them just them to sell them. So, the decision became one of selling them “as is” to get some cash to apply to an upgrade, or keep then, repair them, and use them, however sparingly that may be.

As mentioned, the stuff works, but I’m getting some distortion. Also as mentioned, I think there’s an issue with one or more drivers in one speaker. As mentioned, the components haven’t been used in a few years (just sitting collecting dust), and used sparingly for many years before that. So, they probably need a good cleaning and perhaps some tweaking elsewhere. Finally, as mentioned, I don’t know jack about audio components, which is why I registered here and posted.

I’m not an audiophile, but I certainly appreciate the knowledge and passion of those who are. All I know is back when I was in purchase-mode, the buddies of mine who knew way more than I did about stereo components said Carver was top-end stuff and would give me wood. The 901s were my decision (bad move, perhaps) in that the receiver, as mentioned, came in a packaged deal with Carver and Bose.

Thanks again.
<<

ArthurFromCanada

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:43 pm

Welcome to the forum Fly.

In my opinion, if you haven't used the Carver gear much, you can probably go without a complete refurb. A thorough cleaning as per Kingman's recommendation is sound advice. I would also sell your Bose speakers and look for some better used speakers (not right away, but something you can consider 6 - 12 months down the line). Better speakers not only make a huge sonic difference, but you might even rediscover your music collection! \:D/

A warning though...if you decide to stick around this forum long enough, you might find yourself developing an itch for some newer gear with separate components (preamp, amp, etc.).

Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. Good luck with your system and as Bob himself would say, "play it loud" =D>

Art
<<

dok

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:30 am

WELCOME fly!!
I may not have it all together...But together we have it all!
Next

Return to "The Welcome Mat"