FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:41 am

Newb with a question

<<

fly

Post Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:10 pm

Re: Newb with a question

ArthurFromCanada wrote:Welcome to the forum Fly.

In my opinion, if you haven't used the Carver gear much, you can probably go without a complete refurb. A thorough cleaning as per Kingman's recommendation is sound advice. I would also sell your Bose speakers and look for some better used speakers (not right away, but something you can consider 6 - 12 months down the line). Better speakers not only make a huge sonic difference, but you might even rediscover your music collection! \:D/

A warning though...if you decide to stick around this forum long enough, you might find yourself developing an itch for some newer gear with separate components (preamp, amp, etc.).

Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. Good luck with your system and as Bob himself would say, "play it loud" =D>

Art

All good advice/comments/"warning." Thanks, Art.

The components were used a lot (and loud) for a few years after purchasing new. Then they sat boxed for a couple of years while I moved frequently, never residing in one location for more than a year or so, then used off-and-on from that point. I'd like to get them back to quality sound and then go from there on making a decision about the speakers.

As for refurbishment v cleaning debate, I'm leaning toward the cleaning, but one of the small (tape selector) knobs on the Carver Receiver is broken. I'm keeping an eye out for a replacement.

Thanks again.

Edit-to-add:

As mentioned, I’m getting some distortion in the speakers. Adjusting the speaker balance knob either left or right causes the distortion to increase, as does *gently* applying finger pressure on the balance knob in an up-and-down direction.

One speaker cuts out from time-to-time, but I’m not sure that’s an issue with the receiver or the speaker. Again, I’m pretty clueless about audio components. What I can say is that when the speaker cuts out, if I adjust the balance knob on the receiver *slightly* in the direction of the silent speaker, the cut-out problem go away.
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Newb with a question

Sounds like you could use some DeOxit in your switches and rotary controls (pots). It will frequently take care of the problems you're describing.
Previous

Return to "The Welcome Mat"