- Onkyo TX-SR800 Receiver
Power Amplifiers
- Hafler Five Hundred [Mains]
- Carver TFM-15CB [Surrounds]
- Carver TFM-6CB Bridged [Center]
Speakers
- Definitive Technology BP-30s [Mains]
- Definitive Technology C1 [Surrounds and Center]

I inherited the Carvers from my dad, and picked up the Hafler on Craigslist. Obviously, this is my home theatre system, but I also use it for my turntable rig.

Unfortunately, all the power amps have started fading on me. I know certain components lose performance with age, and all three amps are getting up to 20+ years. At the moment I'm actually powering everything off the Onkyo because the amps are all starting to wig out and I'm not satisfied with the performance.

So I'm wondering, should I send these to Rita's Vintage Audio or to Carver Audio Repair for service and repair? My system sounded great with these amps not too long ago, but solid-state amplification is awfully cheap every where I look. For the money, should I just pick up something a bit newer instead? Admittedly, I just requested a quote on repairs and don't know what it might cost me yet, but I'm guessing anywhere from $150 to $300 per amplifier.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:40 am

Re: New to Forum, my system and request for advice

I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money.....yet, but I will tell you that gear likes plenty of air between them. Heat is a killer.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

llltonic

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:53 am

Hah, I figured that comment was (deservedly) coming my way. I just moved, and I'm still working on a rack (of course, nothing is powered on right now but the receiver).

I just spoke on the phone to Rolland at Carver Audio Repair (talk about service: 11PM on a Saturday!). Here's the rundown:
TFM-15CB: $289
TFM-6CB: $169
Hafler: $250 - ??? depending on condition
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:54 am

Welcome to the forum! Is your Hafler also fading on you? You have some great gear, but like you mention, age does start showing its ugly face. Your Onkyo was released in 2002 (only 8 years old) and I see you are using it like a pre-amp? Whereas the Onkyo itself puts out 100wattsX7. The Hafler 500 released in 1980 (225 wattsX2) is now 20 years old and could be in need of a refurb. The TFM-15 and C6 are not cost affective to send in for repair, you can pick them up "cheap" these days. I would suggest the first thing you need to do is; Check your voltage at the wall?? Are you running any surges, power conditioners? Do you want to go separates or stay with a receiver? Maybe a little more on the route you want to take and we can make a better suggestion. Welcome to the forum again, this is a great place to be!!
<<

llltonic

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:51 am

Yeah, I started using the Onkyo as preamp-only when I got the BP-30s: they really do well with the extra power. Unfortunately, The Hafler is fading out a bit and just not working for me like it used to.

I'm not really going in any direction per se at the moment. I'm in an early phase of building my own product design company, so I'm shuffling all my income back into that. I'm also in a short term apartment situation right now, so I'm not looking to pick up any new gear.

Ultimately, I'd like a couple of monoblock tube amps powering a pair of Magnepans, but that's for once I'm in a more stable living and working situation. In the meantime, I was just hoping to keep running my current setup (albeit on a proper rack).
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:54 am

Good luck in your business venture.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:08 am

Welcome!!! =D> =D> =D> Did you have a rack before you moved or have they always been stacked on top of one another? :-s
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:16 am

Welcome to the forum!
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

llltonic

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:25 pm

kingman wrote:Welcome!!! =D> =D> =D> Did you have a rack before you moved or have they always been stacked on top of one another? :-s

Always had a rack before, with each component on its own shelf.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:37 pm

Hey llltonic, I'm just curious about this; I know your at the mercy of your apartment landlord, but don't you think it strange all your amps are now fading out?? :-k I'm a big believer in correct power at the outlet. You never know about an apartment? Your stereo outlet could be on a circuit that is also running all the appliances in the kitchen! Have any of your amps actually kicked off with the protection circuit kicking in? Stick a meter on the outlet also checking ground, test the current drop also running your gear > It might just be simple as a power problem? If anything I would send in the Hafler to Rolland and go from there. Good luck!
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:20 am

Nice to have you join us... There are many super cool people aboard the good ship Carver including Captain Carver himself! I'm sure you will discover how amazing an audio journey can be as you add, delete, or wear out gear. One comment regarding your TFM15 situation and how to handle it. One train of thought mentioned above is it not being cost effective to have it repaired because you can find them cheap now days. Here is something to consider before boarding that train and that is you can definitely replace your 15 for much cheaper than having one repaired, but there can be a down side to that. The fact of it is a replacement 15 is likely to need service soon just like the one you already own simply because of their age. Simply put- the capacitors in all makes of amps can only be expected to live for 15-20 years before they need to be replaced. So with that being said I would certainly think about sending the one you already own in for service because they will replace every capacitor in it as part of the service, or you can risk spending money for a replacement that will likely soon need to be sent in to have the capacitors replaced anyway. Just my .02 cents worth..... (I do accept change back on my .02 if you find it to not be helpful) :D

Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:19 am

Rainman wrote:Nice to have you join us... There are many super cool people aboard the good ship Carver including Captain Carver himself! I'm sure you will discover how amazing an audio journey can be as you add, delete, or wear out gear. One comment regarding your TFM15 situation and how to handle it. One train of thought mentioned above is it not being cost effective to have it repaired because you can find them cheap now days. Here is something to consider before boarding that train and that is you can definitely replace your 15 for much cheaper than having one repaired, but there can be a down side to that. The fact of it is a replacement 15 is likely to need service soon just like the one you already own simply because of their age. Simply put- the capacitors in all makes of amps can only be expected to live for 15-20 years before they need to be replaced. So with that being said I would certainly think about sending the one you already own in for service because they will replace every capacitor in it as part of the service, or you can risk spending money for a replacement that will likely soon need to be sent in to have the capacitors replaced anyway. Just my .02 cents worth..... (I do accept change back on my .02 if you find it to not be helpful) :D

Rainman

Good point Rainman; I didn't consider the replacement needing service soon. The TFM-15CB's are good little amps, I might even consider sending mine in when the time arises.
<<

Breaking Glass

M-400t CUBE

Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:24 am

kingman wrote:Welcome!!! =D> =D> =D> Did you have a rack before you moved or have they always been stacked on top of one another? :-s

Yea, you may want to put some spacers in there to give the amps some room for air flow before you cook something.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:49 pm

Welcome
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use

Return to "The Welcome Mat"