FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:11 pm

Newbie purchase/Amazing Bonfire !!!!

<<

gunner64

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:37 pm

Newbie purchase/Amazing Bonfire !!!!

Hello Everyone,
I'm New to the forum,but not new to Carver having owned several pieces over the years that come and go(you all know the addiction,er....drill). I Recently Came across a deal that brought me back to Carver after a year or so that I couldn't pass up-A TFM-45,CT-17,and 3,(yes 3)Silver series Amazing loudspeakers in oak.1990 vintage.Price paid for the package $900.from original owner.All the pieces are almost mint.(with the exception of the CT-17 power button cap is missing,Anybody know where to find one?)The silvers are awesome,Ribbons look and perform flawlessly with all types of music,piano,acoustic guitar,strings.No buzzes,pops or distortion.visually no deterioration can be seen.The woofer surrounds are perfect.no signs of decay,all are tight and pliable,and are flawless in everyway.Grilles are perfect and retain the silver Carver badges.they almost look N.O.S..If anyone is considering purchasing a set of functioning amazings and can get them for a grand or under,Run, don't walk -BUY THEM!! I've had and heard ALOT of speakers over the last 30yrs. and these are some of the best I've ever heard for any price- period.People who say these are "tinny" or lacking in low end are not driving them hard enough.(Don't listen to that old stereophile review,which is obviously a biased review)they don't open up until about 300wts. according to my amps meters/my ears.A 120wt Receiver will not cut it,Drive them with 300 or better,and they are truly "amazing"for lack of a better description.The lowend that they produce is hard to believe until you hear them, they also have an airy and open soundstage- music seems to come from everywhere.I don't mean to ramble about these speakers but as you can tell I'm Impressed.I only wish I would have discovered them sooner.they don't look half bad either.I can't wait to to hit them with more power than the TFM-45,As I'm sure they only will get better.
I'm sure someones wondering why only 3 amazings and not 4.While the orginal owner had these in storage(since 97) his son took one out and trashed it trying to install the drivers in his car,(??????)he then (are you ready for this?)-burned the woodwork in a bonfire!The owner didn't know this happened until he decided to sell them last week,which according to him was almost 10yrs after the destruction.(an empty box is hard to hide.)
Thanks for listening,and a excellent forum!
Peace, Robert
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:50 pm

Re: Newbie purchase/Amazing Bonfire !!!!

WELCOME, Robert~

What a story! I agree completely on the power issue; there are at least 2 of us here on the forum who bi-amp over 800 watts into AL-IIIs~

It brings a tear to my eye to hear about an Amazing getting destroyed through idiocy & then the frame burned.... :( :shock: :x
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:10 pm

gunner64 wrote:(with the exception of the CT-17 power button cap is missing,Anybody know where to find one?)

Welcome to the forum!

Give forum member beemers417 at www.vintagehifishop.com a call. He has lots of parts for Carver gear.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:57 pm

Welcome. Great center channel speaker or spare pairs. Congrats
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

gunner64

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:01 pm

After hearing these things it brings a tear to my eyes thinking If he did have the fourth speaker I probably would have gotten all 4+ everything else for the same price!Not that I didn't get a deal but man,4 amazings in this kind of shape alone for $900 would have been the deal of the century!One thing I did notice with The TFM-45 is That I think I'll have to run a dedicated cuircut,especially if I get another 45 or the equivalent.She dims the lights in the room when pushing decent power!Do You guys with big amps run dedicated cuircuts just for your amplifiers?I've played in a band and we had a whole rack of poweramps in our practce room that didn't hammer the lights like this amp does.

About the CT-17 power button cap.I called the vintagehifishop and as luck would have it he had a cap on hand.Thanks thuffman03 for the direction!And to all who responed to my post for making me feel at home!
Peace,Robert
<<

zumbini

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:34 pm

gunner64 wrote:Do You guys with big amps run dedicated cuircuts just for your amplifiers? I've played in a band and we had a whole rack of poweramps in our practce room that didn't hammer the lights like this amp does.

I installed three dedicated circuits for my gear. Two 30A circuits for the 4 amps and one 20A for everything else.

Despite what I originally thought was overkill, the room lights still "pulse" a bit to the bass when I crank it.
Carver Gear: BillD-modified C-2 and C-11 (both w/balanced outs), CT-Seven, DTL-50, DTL-200MK2
M-200t, M-500, M-500t (x2), M-1.0t, M-1.5t (x2), MXR-130, PM-1200 (x3), PT2400, SD/A 490t, TX-2, TX-8r, TX-11b
Other: Behringer CX3400/DCX2496/FBQ3102, Furman PS-8R, Teac C-3RX and X-10R, Technics SL1200 and S-D303
Speakers: Design Acoustics DA-30 (2 sets w/extra DA-10s), Klipsch KG2.5, Legacy Super Satellites, Legacy Subs

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:05 pm

Great deal and interesting story!!! WHAT A FIND!!! \:D/ 8) \:D/
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Return to "The Welcome Mat"