FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:44 pm

FNG to the site and to Carver. Need some recommendations.

<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:48 pm

FNG to the site and to Carver. Need some recommendations.

Hello all. Glad to have found the site. I've been cruising around here for a couple of days, and like what I see. Like I said, I'm new to Carver as well as this site. I've heard nothing but good things about Carver. I've been a Proton Audio guy for many years. Had the Proton 1100 pre and a D 1200 power amp. Bought my equipment in the 80's, and it served me well for many years. I recently did a change over to a 7.1 system, and sold my Proton equipment. Now I need to get a really good Carver power amp for the front speakers.
OK here is what I've got.
Pioneer VSX 84TXSi (145 wpc) for the receiver, and it will power the new 8 ohm Polk Audio CSiA6 center, FXi A6 Rears and FXiA4 surrounds.
Mains are Polk Audio SDA 2 speakers which are 5 OHM, that I've had since the 80's.
I'll be using the main pre outs on the 84TXSi to feed the power amp.
I've been looking at the Carver TFM amps, in particular the TFM-35X and the TFM-45. After reading a lot of posts I'm leaning toward the TFM-45. I'd appreciate some input here from anyone, but especially anyone who might be using the Polk SDA 2 speakers. What are your thoughts and/or recommendations on a great Carver amp that I can use both for music and HT with my setup?
Thanks in advance,
Doug
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: FNG to the site and to Carver. Need some recommendation

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! =D> =D> =D> I'm sure you will get alot of suggestions to "Carverize" your system. 7.1 eh??? A Sunfire 200x7 or 400x7 would be SWEET!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:36 pm

Welcome
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:41 pm

As Kingman said, Sunfires are awesome. I am currently using a Sunfire 5400 but previously had a TFM42 (same as TFM45 but with leds instead of meters).

My experience with the TFM42 was very good, lots of power & good sound. I sold it to Ed (Elgrau) and he loves it too.

Welcome to the Forum.

Frank.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:47 pm

Welcome to the forum! With your mains running 5ohm The 35/45 would give you lot's of power. I would (only my opinion) would go with the Sunfire 200X7 and sell off everything else you have. Not saying what you have is bad, I just love the Sunfires as do many here. I just purchased a 200X5 and all I can say is WOW! A big difference over the TFM series.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:51 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Carver TFM's are great amps. Sunfires are even better. Lightstar's are even better if you can find a set. Next step after that would be the Silver 7t and 9t mono blocks then the Silver 6, 7 and 9 tube.

Your SDA's will sing very well with the Carver TFM, Sunfire or Lightstar. It IMO depends on your budget. I have owned TFM's from the 6cb's all the way up to the 55 and I currently run a pair of Sunfire 300's.

IMO all are great amps. It is just how much $$$ you have to spend.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:44 am

Thanks for the welcomes and reply's. I'm thinking I'll hold out for the TFM-45. Been looking for one, but have not found a good one yet. There was a used one, no recent tech service, on ebay that just sold for $662.50. I thought that was a little high, but would have bid it up a little more if it had been recently serviced. What should I expect to pay for a good 45, that has been gone through by a good tech? I've also thought about trying to buy one that's not working at a low price, then send it in for servicing. What kind of price should I pay for one like that? And lastly, anyone on here got a TFM-45 that's looking to sell it?
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.

<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:29 am

There are a couple TFM-35X's on Audiogon, and this is a good place to look to audio gear > http://cgis.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_f ... rver&B1=go

This is taken off the AudioGon Bluebook >

Carver TFM-45 : Used Prices
New $950.00
Used $470.00
$220.00 Low
$440.00 Last
$670.00 High
Jan 00 to Jan 10
Carver TFM-45 released 1989, 375w x 2, with meters
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:58 am

To give you an idea regarding pricing, recently purchased a TFM-45 in very good cosmetic condition as an upcoming birthday present for my son. Paid $300 plus shipping which amounted to another $65. Had not been recently serviced. When I received it, had the light buzz in one of the channels and some of the service updates had not been done. (pot drift, etc.) Sent to Rolland who worked his magic, which cost another $345, which included refinishing the case. (Had a few small scratches on case and top of faceplate) Bottom line, when all was said and done with shipping to and from, have about $800 in the unit. Seems a little high, but TFM now looks new and should perform flawlessly for another decade or two. At least, that is my hope. [-o< [-o< [-o<

By the way, TFM-45 now sounds great and not sure I could replace it with another amp of similiar power and sound for that price. \:D/ :D
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks Guys,
Don, that's about what I had thought I'd have to end paying for a just rebuilt TFM-45. I figured that anything over $600 should have been serviced pretty recently. I'd rather do like you did, get one at a decent price, then have Rolland work his magic on it. That way I'd know what I had will last, and be in tiptop shape. Now I just have to wait until a good one comes along to do this with. Thanks again to everyone.

<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:50 pm

helicopterpilotdoug wrote:Thanks Guys,
Don, that's about what I had thought I'd have to end paying for a just rebuilt TFM-45. I figured that anything over $600 should have been serviced pretty recently. I'd rather do like you did, get one at a decent price, then have Rolland work his magic on it. That way I'd know what I had will last, and be in tiptop shape. Now I just have to wait until a good one comes along to do this with. Thanks again to everyone.

Heli pilot,

One option I thought about was to have it shipped directly to Rolland by the seller. Would have saved me about $120. (ship to me initially and then to Rolland) However, used paypal and wanted to inspect in the event was not as described. If I had bought from a member on the forum and was informed in need of a chassis rebuild, would have considered that option to Rolland directly.
<<

gunner64

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi,And welcome! Newbie here also.These Guys are great,and Very helpful- Great forum!

The TFM-45 is an outstanding Amplifier.It has an overall smoothness and detail that alot of solid state amps lack,and it retains both attributes at high volumes.A lot of amps sound good at low volume,but lose the detail and focus at higher volume.Not many amps can do both well.For whatever reason The TFM-45 does both well.In my opinion you could find a more powerful amp,but finding a better overall sounding one would be tough for under a grand.(probably way more)Put it this way,I'm selling 2 Mcintosh MC2100's because the TFM-45 embarrasses them....And badly.And I'm not just talking power-wise.After hearing the 45 the Macs sound super harsh.I've had an M500t that the Macs outperformed sound-wise,but its not even a challenge for the 45.If it cost you 800 bucks to get a 45 in proper functioning condition,so be it,You will not be disappointed.I got very lucky,I found a TFM-45 ( with the drift fix already installed),Three (yes 3)ALS silver in oak,And a CT-17 Preamp for sale locally by original owner.- $900 for everything!Everything is almost mint.(sorry don't mean to brag,Just can't help it!)Get the 45!its Awesome amplifier!!!!
Robert
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:37 pm

I disagree with the "under a grand" statement; you can have a Sunfire 300x2 for around $800, give or take, & while lower in absolute power into 8 ohms, they will drive loads ALL DAY that would make lesser amps shut down in seconds~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

gunner64

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Yea,Maybe the under a grand statement was a bit bold.But still The TFM-45 is hard amp to beat without breaking the bank.Point being He wouldn't be disapointed in its performance,and Alot more could be spent on a lot less amplifier.well worth the 500 to 1000 smackers performance wise.IMHO.I haven't heard the Sunfire 300x2,(I'm In Iowa,were most people think best buy sells decent audio,I Doubt there's one in the whole State!)so I can't really comment on that,But isn't the 45 a fairly capable amp driving difficult loads also?
Robert
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:00 pm

This 45 went for just about what I paid for a non-operational 55. To pay over $600.00 for an amp that hasn't been "gone over" recently isn't wise IMHO. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT
Next

Return to "The Welcome Mat"