FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:04 pm

Carver convert. Hi.

<<

jonesy

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:40 pm

Carver convert. Hi.

Hey all. Great forum.

I've been using a couple of the pro amps on loan from a friend to drive some very demanding Infinity RSII's (PM1201) and a Hsu TN 1220 HO (PM600) for a while. He had a stack of PM's driving his HT then converted over to all Peavy stuff. He's obviously a pro-amp guy.

I was very happy with the sound quality. The piece of mind that the 2 ohm and below impedence dips the RSII's are known for would not stress the amp into clipping, thereby frying the beautiful EMIT tweeters, was comforting as well. However, the fan noise and cosmetics were starting to bother me. Cheap-ish amp searches (because this whole system has had to be budget minded) continually yeilded Carver home stuff as some of the best bang for the buck. There was obviously the reliability issues that some expound upon, but I hadn't exeperienced any of that in the year I was running the PM's.

Just recently I've secured a m0.5t and a m-500t. I'm (with lots of help) doing a re-cap on the infinity's which will enable them to be bi-ampable. The idea is to run the m0.5t on the mids & tweets and the 500 on the demanding bottom end. I've tested them both on the old crossovers before I tore them apart. The .5 was buttery smooth on the top end but didn't seem to have the guts to control the lower end. It may have, but I wasn't willing to push the volume. The 500 was very nice. Same top end goodies and plenty of control over the bottom end.

I can't wait until the crossovers are done and this rig is up and running! Both amps came to me in decent condition, inside and out. The 500 was advertised as having a 'hum' issue. I pulled the trigger anyway, having heard that ground loop has been an issue in Carvers, but it seems to be very system/house electrical system dependant.

I rolled the dice. When I opened it up and plugged it in I had no left channel and big time hum in the right. Disappointed :( Although I have no knowledge-based right to pull the cover on any electronics, I did anyway. Top and bottom. Looking for any tell-tale signs of trouble, scorching, leaky caps, dust build-up or whatever, I found absolutely nothing. Re-assembled, I plugged it back in and holy balls, if everything was right on point.

No hum, left channel engaged! :D I sat for quite a while just watching the big lighted meters dance around (I haven't had an amp with meters-It's cool). So I'm very happy, to say the least, about the new Carver gear I've assmebled. It seems to balance well with the Infinity's. Hopefully, a tube pre is in my future and it will only get better from here.

I had one question and I don't know if I should ask it here or post it in the Carver Home forum. The binding posts on the m0.5t don't accept the banana plugs I have on the speaker wires I'm running. It's 8ga, so cramming bare wire in there is ifffy at best. Is there a particular pin, or even a thinner banana, people have successfully used with this amp?
<<

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: Carver convert. Hi.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think you are gonna like it here \:D/
Carverfest 2010 quote...I can't explain it right now, I'm drunk...

GO BUCKEYES
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:53 am

Welcome
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

ddbroderick

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:44 am

jonesy:

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new Carver gear. Sounds like a great setup.

You are correct, some of the older Carver amps do not accept bananas and have kind of cheap receiver type binding posts on them. I had the same issue with my M 1.0t and the solution for me was to have the binding posts changed to something that will accept spades, bananas, etc.

The other option is to buy a little adapter that goes on the end of the speaker wire. It would have a part you can crimp onto your existing wire then a short (maybe an inch) flat braided section that would connect to the existing speaker terminals. I used something like this for a while before having the binding posts changed and it worked OK. You seem to get a bit better connection using a flat type wire anyway. I think they came from Radio Shack / The Source.

Good luck!!!
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:09 am

Welcome to the forum!
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

ddbroderick

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:30 am

jonesy:

The little adapter I was talking about looked something like the following. Your wire would connect to the bottom end.

http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/pro ... x-tip.html

http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/pro ... -mkii.html
<<

jonesy

Post Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:54 am

Thanks for the welcome, and the links. An adaptor is likely the way to go, at least for now. The new binders sound like a good idea but after the re-cap, and TT mods I'm currently into, I'm just ready to hear some tunes. More tweaking later.
<<

toucanet

M-400t CUBE

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:41 pm

jonesy wrote:Thanks for the welcome, and the links. An adaptor is likely the way to go, at least for now. The new binders sound like a good idea but after the re-cap, and TT mods I'm currently into, I'm just ready to hear some tunes. More tweaking later.

Good luck!
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:52 pm

Welcome to the forum jonesy! Sounds like a nice set-up, would love to see pictures of your Infinity's, I have always liked those.
Welcome again, a great place to be.
<<

toucanet

M-400t CUBE

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:53 pm

Welcome to the forum. Waits for pictures :-" :-" :-"
<<

jonesy

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:48 pm

I got some Dayton pins from PE. They work great. Everything is complete and up and running. I'm currently dealing with some level matching issues. Rather than bury it here I started a new thread over in the Audio forum. I'll try to get some pics up over there. Thanks again all.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:00 pm

Glad to hear you got it solved...WELCOME!!!! =D> 8) =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Return to "The Welcome Mat"