FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:44 am

Newbie here, question about Carver c1000a

<<

js_specials

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:14 pm

Newbie here, question about Carver c1000a

I have a c1000a, Sunfire powered subwoofer, and polk speakers. An RCA cable connects the carver from the subwoofer preout to the subwoofer. I have always had a bit of a ground hum, but that has been the extent of any problems. Recently I was watching The Matrix on a pioneer elite dvl-91 dvd player, with audio transferred to the Carver using a fiber optic cable. Video is not routed to the carver receiver. Ground hum was a bit annoying, so I pulled the RCA out of the preout, and then went to put it back in. I accidentily touched the center of the rca cable to the outside of the preout connection. As it touched, there was a very loud hum in all of the speakers which immediately went away when I plugged the cable back in. However, after that, anytime bass was required there was a crackling noise instead, and then the carver would shut off. It did this several times. I shut everything down, and then checked the fuse in the subwoofer and a 2 of the speakers. All were fine. The other 3 speakers do not have any fuses. I restarted the system, and sure enough, the carver continued to shut off whenever bass was required. I shut it back down, and let it cool overnight with all of the equipment unplugged. I restarted everything, and the same problem continued right away. Any thoughts?
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:48 pm

Re: Newbie here, question about Carver c1000a

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry that I cannot answer your question but I am sure another member will chime in and give you a few things to try.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:23 pm

Welcome use a cheater plug to stop the ground loop problem. (Cheater plug 3 plug hole female side to 2 prong male side.)
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

mewisemagic

M-400t CUBE

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:13 pm

another thing is, you should never plug,unplug rca connectors while the system is on.especially ...
amps
carver ct29v,tfm-15cb,tfm-35x,m1-ot,tlm-3600, pair of 9 t's ,c5,adcom 535 II,oppo 981 dvd, polk sda srs 2.3tl,polk sda srs 1.2
tfm-42,AL-III+, yaqin 10l
<<

js_specials

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:11 pm

Thanks for the welcomes and advice. Does anyone know if there is fuse or other component in the c1000a that I could check and/or replace?
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:44 pm

I don't know much about the C-1000, but I'd suspect that perhaps the cable is shorted. Have you tried another cable? That cable only carries at most a couple of Volts. Another thing to try is to take the subwoofer output out of another output (like Tape out) to see if that causes the problem.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:23 pm

use a cheater plug to stop the ground loop problem. (Cheater plug 3 plug hole female side to 2 prong male side.)

?????
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:22 pm

noise in most systems is usually a ground loop problem. Using a cheater plug on the units in the system gets rid of the ground loop noise by eliminating the shared grounds.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:25 pm

I took pix on mine with the lid off while I still had it... sorry they are too small to see if and where a fuse might be.
If there is one, it will probably be in the back left corner.
I suggest calling Bill at Ritas, and see if he can lend a hand.
Bob told me he had a friend that did not work at Carver or Sunfire design the C-1000a.
Bill might be able to get with Bob, and get you going in the right direction at least.

Good Luck !!

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

js_specials

Post Sun May 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Well, the problem is fixed, but I am not sure why. As a last attempt, I unplugged all of the speakers and powered subwoofer from the c1000 and then plugged them in one at a time trying to see if one of the speakers was causing a problem. Sure enough, the system sounds fine again.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun May 09, 2010 8:08 pm

Gotta love the cheap fixes! Welcome to the forum js_specials from North Carolina.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sun May 09, 2010 8:17 pm

Very cool to hear it it is working.

I have dealt with technology, mostly computers, for over 20 years and there have been issues like this were there is no reason to why it stopped working and then started working again. ](*,) Frustrates the hell out of me all the time.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun May 09, 2010 8:22 pm

thuffman03 wrote:I have dealt with technology, mostly computers, for over 20 years and there have been issues like this were there is no reason to why it stopped working and then started working again. ](*,) Frustrates the hell out of me all the time.
Are you talking about audio or a woman? :-"
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sun May 09, 2010 8:32 pm

treitz3 wrote:
thuffman03 wrote:I have dealt with technology, mostly computers, for over 20 years and there have been issues like this were there is no reason to why it stopped working and then started working again. ](*,) Frustrates the hell out of me all the time.
Are you talking about audio or a woman? :-"

Both!
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun May 09, 2010 9:16 pm

Glad the problem is fixed. "DON'T DO THAT NO MORE"!!!!! [-X [-X [-X ...P.S..WELCOME!!! =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
Next

Return to "The Welcome Mat"