FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:05 am

<<

jvarnadoe

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:41 am

Hello all!

I joined this group to gain info on Carver products. We recently remodeled a few rooms in our house to accomodate our interests. Our living room was transformed into a "music/reading room" by adding a rather large Ikea bookshelf, Ikea flooring, a piano, guitars, etc. We also transformed our dining room into a wine tasting room, but that's a topic for another forum. :) The main purpose of the music room is to expand my hi-fi hobby. I have a rather large collection of Polk Audio speakers and have been a member of the Polk forum for a number of years. I've gleaned lots of knowledge from that forum and thought I could expand my audio knowledge even more by joining this forum and learning about the Carver products I've heard much about throughout life. A girlfriend in college had a Carver Cube that always intrigued me.

Now down to business. The rig in the "music room" consists of a pair of vintage Polk SDA SRS 2.3's with upgraded RDO-194 silk tweeters and a custom silver coated SDA interconnect cable. I borrowed an Adcom 545 and Adcom GTP-450 from our bedroom setup that generally runs a pair of Polk Rt25i's in the bedroom, a pair of LC65i's in the bathroom, and a pair of Rt 35i's on our patio (routed through an Adcom GFS-6 speaker selector). The 545 does an admirable job of pushing the SDA's at modest listening levels, but I'm looking for a little more power for those times when the family is out and I push them to extended listening levels. My first thought was an Adcom 5802, but those are still pricey and all of my Adcom's (I have 3) are big, bulky and run extremely hot (not necessarily ideal in Central Florida). I was thinking of trying a TFM-45 and C-1 Carver setup, so please offer any feedback or criticism of that combo. I think the retro look of that system would go well with my 80's speakers and, on the aesthetics side, the VU meters would add a nice touch. There is a great looking example of a TFM-45 currently on e-bay that I have my eye on.

As stated earlier, any suggestions for the ideal Carver amp and pre-amp match for the 2.3's are welcome.

Nick Varnadoe
Orlando, FL
<<

peck555

TFM-6cb

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: New member

Welcome to the forum, I think that a TFM-45 and a C-1 would be great. Do you listen to a lot of vinyl or do you use cd's more, the reason I ask is that the C-1 is a preamp with many inputs, and options like phono, tape loops, and it has "sonic holography" to open up the sound.
Have fun with your new music room.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:32 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

toucanet

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:39 pm

jvarnadoe wrote:Hello all!

I joined this group to gain info on Carver products. We recently remodeled a few rooms in our house to accomodate our interests. Our living room was transformed into a "music/reading room" by adding a rather large Ikea bookshelf, Ikea flooring, a piano, guitars, etc. We also transformed our dining room into a wine tasting room, but that's a topic for another forum. :) The main purpose of the music room is to expand my hi-fi hobby. I have a rather large collection of Polk Audio speakers and have been a member of the Polk forum for a number of years. I've gleaned lots of knowledge from that forum and thought I could expand my audio knowledge even more by joining this forum and learning about the Carver products I've heard much about throughout life. A girlfriend in college had a Carver Cube that always intrigued me.

Now down to business. The rig in the "music room" consists of a pair of vintage Polk SDA SRS 2.3's with upgraded RDO-194 silk tweeters and a custom silver coated SDA interconnect cable. I borrowed an Adcom 545 and Adcom GTP-450 from our bedroom setup that generally runs a pair of Polk Rt25i's in the bedroom, a pair of LC65i's in the bathroom, and a pair of Rt 35i's on our patio (routed through an Adcom GFS-6 speaker selector). The 545 does an admirable job of pushing the SDA's at modest listening levels, but I'm looking for a little more power for those times when the family is out and I push them to extended listening levels. My first thought was an Adcom 5802, but those are still pricey and all of my Adcom's (I have 3) are big, bulky and run extremely hot (not necessarily ideal in Central Florida). I was thinking of trying a TFM-45 and C-1 Carver setup, so please offer any feedback or criticism of that combo. I think the retro look of that system would go well with my 80's speakers and, on the aesthetics side, the VU meters would add a nice touch. There is a great looking example of a TFM-45 currently on e-bay that I have my eye on.

As stated earlier, any suggestions for the ideal Carver amp and pre-amp match for the 2.3's are welcome.

Nick Varnadoe
Orlando, FL

Welcome Nick!

I, too, am a newbie.

I currently have a TFM-55 connected to my Polk 1.2TLs (I recently acquired the 1.2TL's from one of the members here, beemers417). The amp powers these speakers nicely, in my opinion. I have a second TFM-55 that I had planned on connecting to these speakers, but decided to leave it alone.

My system is probably considered a poor man's systems, but I love the way these amps bring out the sound in my speakers (NOTE: I'm scared to hook up any of my amps to a pair of Scintilla's I also own).

From the reading I have done in this forum as well as others, the TFM-45 is a very nice amp. However, I highly recommend that you connect with "beemers417" on this forum to find out if he has a TFM-45 in his inventory.

He does a damn good job of making sure that the gear he sells is in good condition. Ebay is a risky venture that I would use only as a last resort, unless it is a seller that members of this forum are familiar with.

Others in this forum will probably give you much more detailed information than my $.02. I'm here to learn as well.

toucanet
Last edited by toucanet on Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:41 pm

"As stated earlier, any suggestions for the ideal Carver amp and pre-amp match for the 2.3's are welcome."

Sunfire pre-pro (any) and one of the Sunfire 300x2 amps would be a magical combo~

WELCOME!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

jvarnadoe

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:46 pm

Peck,

Totally off-topic here.
Do you own a Lotus Elise (your avatar)? Those are sweet little rides. A guy at work recently bought one and he's going to take me for a ride in it next week. I hear it's like a go kart! He bought one new about 3-4 years ago, had problems with it and traded it on a Mini. He missed it and bought a used one a few months ago. The Mini is his daily driver and the Lotus is the prized posession.
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi, I'm another "newbie". Welcome to the forum. \:D/ I got a TFM-45 along with a C-11 not long ago, and am very pleased with the performance of these Carver products. This amp, hooked up to my SDA 2 speakers, brought them alive. Prior to this they were powered by a Proton D1200, which did a great job, but the TFM-45 does a better job, especially on the low end. Your speakers have a lot more to them than the SDA 2's, but I'm sure the 375 watts will be great for your SRS 2.3's. Don't know about the sonic holography with the SDA type speakers, since I have not tried it out.
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

jvarnadoe

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:06 pm

Yeah, I think the Sonic Holography mixed with the Stereo Dimensional Array would be overkill. But, I guess I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:37 pm

jvarnadoe wrote:Yeah, I think the Sonic Holography mixed with the Stereo Dimensional Array would be overkill. But, I guess I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it.

You do not want to use Sonic Holography with a set of Polk SDA's. I have heard it does not sound good at at all.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:43 pm

Welcome to the forum. I vote for a C-4000t and a pair if M-1.0t's
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

jvarnadoe

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't run a pair of anything with my SDA's. They require a common ground amp and 2 separate amps do not equal common ground. I don't have an AI-1 Non-common ground interface for these because Polk doesn't manufacture them any longer. I could build my own with instructions from the Polk forum, but the transformers are expensive and I'd probably build it incorrectly and burn down the house or worse blow my amp and speakers. :) My Adcom 5500 only works with the SDA SRS 2.3's when the negative terminals are tied together. I think I'll just stick with a common ground amp.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:06 pm

The M1.0t came in both common and non-common ground (inverting) varieties.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Welcome,, if your SDA's are pin/blade,then you can most likely run mono's with the AI-1 non common ground interface,,or you can build one.Also,, the SDA's respond very nicely to tube amps,,80-100 watts would be plenty in most cases.Good luck in your audio journey. Here is the link to the "dreadnaught" custom AI-1

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthr ... readnaught
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:24 pm

Welcome Nice gear.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:20 pm

Welcome to the forum! Also watch AudioGon for gear, much better than e-prey. How about this >
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl? ... e-conditio
These are great amps!
But I must agree with Rabbit > Sunfire processor and Sunfire 300 X2 > Running "cool" units!
Next

Return to "The Welcome Mat"