FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:41 am

Hello all

<<

dc4all

Newbie

Posts: 8

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:56 pm

Location: San Diego

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Hello all

Hi there!

I haven't logged in in years (making babies) but I was doing some research last nite and rediscovered you guys and another Carver site. I'll head on over to list your system section for my personal spousal abuse set-up.

It's great to be back :-)

I would love to get some input on a bunch of things sometime in the future. Here are the initial ones:

I bought Mk IV crossovers/controls for my Amazing s and would like advice on how to install them and possibly upgrade the internal wiring on the speakers as they seem kind of flimsy for the 800wpc they are getting from the Dual 500.

My 490T refuses to eject these days, any advice? (actually the other forum suggested spraying the belt which I will try 2nite)

Finally I have a Carver TFM 55 in the basement that only runs one channel and was wondering where to begin to test/repair it.

Well, thats all for now, I'll be back in touch soon and look forward to getting to know other Carver crazed maniacs :-)

Peace.
Vic
<<

gdb

User avatar

SILVER-7t

Posts: 1690

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:43 pm

Location: Central Maryland

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Hello all

Welcome back !!! :D Nice stuff you've got.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Posts: 2417

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:38 pm

Location: So Cal

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: Hello all

Welcome back.

I will comment on the "wire upgrade" as I was part of a conversation with Bob Carver on that subject.

Someone brought it up at Carverfest08 and Bob's response was:

When an engineer designs a circuit he considers the whole circuit, so that if a resisance of "X" is desired the guage of wire is taken into consideration along with the resistors etc. Changing the wires to heavier wires may indeed change the sound & if you like the change then fine but it is not what the designer intended.

I took that to heart & left my amazings alone. They sound great & I know that the thin wires on the woofers are intentional & not a "cheap" or cost savings feature but rather what Bob wanted there.

My .02

Frank.
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

User avatar

SILVER-7t

Posts: 1780

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:04 pm

Location: Austin TX

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:02 pm

Re: Hello all

Hello Vic. Welcome back, :D
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

engtaz

User avatar

"TAZ"

Posts: 5164

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:43 pm

Location: Tampa, FL

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:32 pm

Re: Hello all

Welcome back
engtaz


Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

TNRabbit

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 13259

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:53 am

Location: TN Native Languishing in VA

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Hello all

frankieD wrote:Welcome back.

I will comment on the "wire upgrade" as I was part of a conversation with Bob Carver on that subject.

Someone brought it up at Carverfest08 and Bob's response was:

When an engineer designs a circuit he considers the whole circuit, so that if a resisance of "X" is desired the guage of wire is taken into consideration along with the resistors etc. Changing the wires to heavier wires may indeed change the sound & if you like the change then fine but it is not what the designer intended.

I took that to heart & left my amazings alone. They sound great & I know that the thin wires on the woofers are intentional & not a "cheap" or cost savings feature but rather what Bob wanted there.

My .02

Frank.


I think it's probably more likely the marketing dept got hold of them & cheaped it out....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
TNRabbit
Image

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

thuffman03

User avatar

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Posts: 2693

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:07 am

Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Hello all

Welcome back!

Your 490t and 55 are going to need some service. The 490t will need a new belt. The 55 will need some work also. If you are not that good with electronics I would recommend to send off to Roland for the 490t and to Rita's for the 55.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

kingman

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 5531

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Location: Upstate South Carolina

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Hello all

WELCOME BACK!!! Alot of knowledgeable people here to point you in the right direction. If you are handy at all, you can put a belt or band on the 490t. Search the forum for answers to this.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

BillD

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 7295

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:29 pm

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:16 am

Re: Hello all

TNRabbit wrote:
frankieD wrote:Welcome back.

I will comment on the "wire upgrade" as I was part of a conversation with Bob Carver on that subject.

Someone brought it up at Carverfest08 and Bob's response was:

When an engineer designs a circuit he considers the whole circuit, so that if a resisance of "X" is desired the guage of wire is taken into consideration along with the resistors etc. Changing the wires to heavier wires may indeed change the sound & if you like the change then fine but it is not what the designer intended.

I took that to heart & left my amazings alone. They sound great & I know that the thin wires on the woofers are intentional & not a "cheap" or cost savings feature but rather what Bob wanted there.

My .02

Frank.


I think it's probably more likely the marketing dept got hold of them & cheaped it out....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
I just think that Bob was one of those guys that said "If this is sufficient, don't do more than that". It's that kind of pragmatism that kept his costs down. I'm sure the wire in there is sufficient, and I doubt that putting bigger wire in there will degrade or enhance the sound. We aren't talking more than 10 feet of wire total, anyway.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.
_________________
Carver: C-4000 & C-1 preamps, PSC-60 preamp/tuner, TX-11a tuner, M-400 (2), C-500, M-500, M-500t, M-500t Mk.II, A-500x, AL-III loudspeakers (2 pr.)
Sunfire:Theater Grand III processor, Ultimate Receiver, Cinema Grand Signature 400 ~ seven, True Subwoofer Mk. II, D-10 Subwoofer
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Posts: 2417

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:38 pm

Location: So Cal

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:36 am

Re: Hello all

TNRabbit wrote:
frankieD wrote:Welcome back.

I will comment on the "wire upgrade" as I was part of a conversation with Bob Carver on that subject.

Someone brought it up at Carverfest08 and Bob's response was:

When an engineer designs a circuit he considers the whole circuit, so that if a resisance of "X" is desired the guage of wire is taken into consideration along with the resistors etc. Changing the wires to heavier wires may indeed change the sound & if you like the change then fine but it is not what the designer intended.

I took that to heart & left my amazings alone. They sound great & I know that the thin wires on the woofers are intentional & not a "cheap" or cost savings feature but rather what Bob wanted there.

My .02

Frank.


I think it's probably more likely the marketing dept got hold of them & cheaped it out....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)



Bob was emphatic that it was NOT a cost thing.

You would know that if you had bothered to show up at the fest instead of galavanting around the globe trying to save the world.

P.S. Are you gonna be there this year?
<<

TNRabbit

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 13259

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:53 am

Location: TN Native Languishing in VA

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:59 am

Re: Hello all

It doesn't look good, Frankie....

:(
TNRabbit
Image

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Posts: 2417

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:38 pm

Location: So Cal

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: Hello all

TNRabbit wrote:It doesn't look good, Frankie....

:(

Shit Gary, who's gonna do all the work?

Last year, without you we had static systems. Good but every day the same.

At the previous fest you were hooking up different combos all the time. It was kool.

Try to find a way.

You know with all the ordinance you have & the number of 7/11 type stores a couple of easy hits & you will have the money. Go for it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

TNRabbit

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 13259

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:53 am

Location: TN Native Languishing in VA

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Hello all

If I wasn't dependent on a security clearance for work I may have actually considered that in tha past 3 years & all the crap with my ex~ :D :lol:
TNRabbit
Image

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Return to "The Welcome Mat"

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2011 phpBB Group.