FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:41 am

Hello all

<<

dc4all

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Hello all

Hi there!

I haven't logged in in years (making babies) but I was doing some research last nite and rediscovered you guys and another Carver site. I'll head on over to list your system section for my personal spousal abuse set-up.

It's great to be back :-)

I would love to get some input on a bunch of things sometime in the future. Here are the initial ones:

I bought Mk IV crossovers/controls for my Amazing s and would like advice on how to install them and possibly upgrade the internal wiring on the speakers as they seem kind of flimsy for the 800wpc they are getting from the Dual 500.

My 490T refuses to eject these days, any advice? (actually the other forum suggested spraying the belt which I will try 2nite)

Finally I have a Carver TFM 55 in the basement that only runs one channel and was wondering where to begin to test/repair it.

Well, thats all for now, I'll be back in touch soon and look forward to getting to know other Carver crazed maniacs :-)

Peace.
Vic
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Hello all

Welcome back !!! :D Nice stuff you've got.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:01 pm

Welcome back.

I will comment on the "wire upgrade" as I was part of a conversation with Bob Carver on that subject.

Someone brought it up at Carverfest08 and Bob's response was:

When an engineer designs a circuit he considers the whole circuit, so that if a resisance of "X" is desired the guage of wire is taken into consideration along with the resistors etc. Changing the wires to heavier wires may indeed change the sound & if you like the change then fine but it is not what the designer intended.

I took that to heart & left my amazings alone. They sound great & I know that the thin wires on the woofers are intentional & not a "cheap" or cost savings feature but rather what Bob wanted there.

My .02

Frank.
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:02 pm

Hello Vic. Welcome back, :D
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:32 pm

Welcome back
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:20 pm

frankieD wrote:Welcome back.

I will comment on the "wire upgrade" as I was part of a conversation with Bob Carver on that subject.

When an engineer designs a circuit he considers the whole circuit, so that if a resisance of "X" is desired the guage of wire is taken into consideration along with the resistors etc. Changing the wires to heavier wires may indeed change the sound & if you like the change then fine but it is not what the designer intended.

I took that to heart & left my amazings alone. They sound great & I know that the thin wires on the woofers are intentional & not a "cheap" or cost savings feature but rather what Bob wanted there.

My .02

Frank.

I think it's probably more likely the marketing dept got hold of them & cheaped it out....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:36 am

Welcome back!

Your 490t and 55 are going to need some service. The 490t will need a new belt. The 55 will need some work also. If you are not that good with electronics I would recommend to send off to Roland for the 490t and to Rita's for the 55.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

kingman

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:06 am

WELCOME BACK!!! Alot of knowledgeable people here to point you in the right direction. If you are handy at all, you can put a belt or band on the 490t. Search the forum for answers to this.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:16 am

TNRabbit wrote:

My .02

Frank.

I think it's probably more likely the marketing dept got hold of them & cheaped it out....

I just think that Bob was one of those guys that said "If this is sufficient, don't do more than that". It's that kind of pragmatism that kept his costs down. I'm sure the wire in there is sufficient, and I doubt that putting bigger wire in there will degrade or enhance the sound. We aren't talking more than 10 feet of wire total, anyway.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:36 am

TNRabbit wrote:

My .02

Frank.

Bob was emphatic that it was NOT a cost thing.

You would know that if you had bothered to show up at the fest instead of galavanting around the globe trying to save the world.

P.S. Are you gonna be there this year?
<<

TNRabbit

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:59 am

It doesn't look good, Frankie....

:(
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:17 pm

TNRabbit wrote:It doesn't look good, Frankie....

:(

Shit Gary, who's gonna do all the work?

Last year, without you we had static systems. Good but every day the same.

At the previous fest you were hooking up different combos all the time. It was kool.

Try to find a way.

You know with all the ordinance you have & the number of 7/11 type stores a couple of easy hits & you will have the money. Go for it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

TNRabbit

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:27 pm

If I wasn't dependent on a security clearance for work I may have actually considered that in tha past 3 years & all the crap with my ex~ :D :lol:
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

Return to "The Welcome Mat"