FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:51 am

new member, old owner (owned first ever Phase Linear 700)

<<

DaveLadely

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:16 am

new member, old owner (owned first ever Phase Linear 700)

Hi,
I've owned Carver products from the very beginning, ever since Bob built the very first "superamp" for me while we were housemates, in 1967; I loved the sweet sound he coaxed out of the amplifiers he had been building for years. After listening to this powerful amp, which, for the first time, came very close to replicating music realistically (the bass drum was not just a "thump" - Bob and I heard the actual character of the bass drum. We compared this amp directly, on the same speakers, with the McIntosh 275, and that amp did not compare - the bass, for example, was the usual indistinguishable "thump", and was expensive, power to dollar ratio. That this amp "whomped" the McInosh and produced realism for the first time , inspired Bob and was the precursor to the transistorized version, the Phase Linear 700. In addition, Bob is not an elitist, he instead designed products that most audiophiles could afford, which I find admirable.
I have owned Carver preamps and amps ever since. I also owned the Andromeda speakers for years. My present system is the Theater Grand V (signed by Bob), Sunfire Signature 7 channel (most powerful) amp, and a Sunfire Signature stereo amp (most powerful). The stereo amp and two of the seven channel amp's channels are electronically crossed over to a pair of Infinity Kappa 9 speakers. I discovered that these Kappa 9 speakers are so inefficient, even the Sunfire 7 channel amp protection circuit was set off under fairly loud music, hence the crossover, which is a very good thing to do anyway. The other channels power Kappa 6 speakers. I also have two Velodyne ULD 18 subwoofers, at least for now. I also have a Focus projection HD system, as well as a 52" HD LCD TV.
I have been considering the new Sunfire 401 preamp, but have not yet decided. If it had two HDMI outputs, for both a projection TV and for the LCD TV, I would buy it. Very few offer this feature, the very expensive Denon being one. Since the new Sunfire company appears to want the attention of installers, I find it odd that it, and others, fail to offer dual HDMI outputs, since many of these customers own at least two TVs, and those that have projection TVs certainly have LCD or plasma TVs since few, if any, own only projectors. Fairly frustrating for me as I would rather not buy the Denon.
Anyway, I was not aware of this site until now, so congratulations! Bob is a fine designer and a great person. Recently, Bob has been building very fine sounding tube amplifiers.
cheers,
Dave Ladely in Snohomish, Washington
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:32 am

Re: new member, old owner (owned first ever Phase Linear 700

\:D/ Welcome Dave! \:D/ Glad you found us. Look forward to your participation here on the forum. :) You seem to have the Holy Grail of systems! Very nice! You got Carverized at a fairly young age. It took me until I was 62!
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:01 am

Welcome Dave. =D> =D> =D> Keep the stories about Bob coming. Glad you found us!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:14 am

Welcome, Dave! Thanks for the bit of history RE: Bob. Feel free to share any other stories. We even have a section for info about Bob: http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=34

FYI, HDMI changes so often, it's probably a good thing Sunfire hasn't adopted it whole hog. I personally feel it's better offering the 8-channel, TOSLINK, and digital coax inputs instead of trying to chase the ever-changing HDMI train.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:19 am

Welcome
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:33 pm

Welcome to the forum. That is some great stuff you are posting. =D> =D> =D> =D>
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

Glenlivet

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:50 pm

Hello Dave. You may not remember me, but you advised me in 2005 on the InfinityClassics site, to get a 400-7 amp to drive my bi-amped Infinity Kappa 9's and their partnered rear Infinity Quantum 2's instead of the three PM 1.5a's that I'd been using.
I have just done this, five years later. It takes me a little while to get things together, you see.
You were using Ron Carlson's email at that time. You apparently have the same Kappa 9's and Kappa 6 surrounds as then though. I saved your posts. I WAS paying attention, you see. 8)

I'm looking for a stereo Signature 600 WPC amp to go along with it, rather like your setup.
I too found that the bi-wired 400-7 kicked into protection when running well up in volume running the Kappa 9's. Man those Kappa 9 speakers suck up current, enough to weld a ship's hull!
That's why I want to complete the bi-amping with a Signature 600 amp.
Like you have.

So now my main motive power is a Sunfire TGP-5 and matching TGA 400-7
Oh, and a Carver EQ12 handles the deep stuff for me now. :D
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:12 pm

=D> \:D/ Welcome to both the newbies!!! \:D/ =D>
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 200x5
Klipsch KP 250 II
Samson SX3200 (750x2 Sub Amp)
(2) 18" Klipsch KP 480 Subs
Klipsch RSW 15
PS Audio DL-III DAC
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:12 am

Welcome Dave!!! Glad you found us. \:D/
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

DaveLadely

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:54 am

I found that the Infinity Kappa 9s activated even the Sunfire Signature 7 amp, so I added a stereo Signature amp with an electronic crossover, which is much better than bi-wiring, and easier on the amps. I think there are reasonably price electronic crossovers, such as Behringer. Back in 1970, John Fluke (now CEO of Fluke, Inc, the test instrument company, a great guy) and I built a huge PA system, the first to use electronic crossovers, and the first PA that I know of that was really powerful. At that time, groups were using Sun, Fender, etc. amps that used 60 watt tube amps while claiming 300 watts.

I found it interesting that Bob has returned to his roots, building fine tube amps, beautiful amps at that! And he has gone far toward reproducing the system he and I first listened to in the living room of the little brick house in Lake City, a suburb of Seattle, Washington, back in 1966-67. Even the speaker cabinets are the same size. He wasn't finished the last time I listened, but it brought back very fond memories of our pioneering efforts to re-create a more realistic musical sound than was obtainable at that time, and to do so that would be affordable for most audiophiles. I recall that we had never really heard the true characteristics of the sound of drumsticks hitting the leather of a bass drum until then, really heard the sound of the drumsticks hitting the leather, the initial attack, the full character of the sound.

He probably sold Sunfire at the right time, considering the Bush administration's enabling the sabotage of the very foundations of our nation's economy, causing great harm, not to mention severely hampering discretionary spending. Its tough enough producing American products in this world economy. Not only that, the meshing of audio/video/computers has not only made the systems more complicated, and every year a new way to achieve planned obsolescence (such as the HDMI mess), the quality of the audio has been compromised by the processing. And he deserves the opportunity to do exactly what he wants, and that is what is he is doing. He seems happier now than I have ever seen him. its great!

I will miss Sunfire, though.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:59 am

TNRabbit wrote:Welcome, Dave! Thanks for the bit of history RE: Bob. Feel free to share any other stories. We even have a section for info about Bob: http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=34

Dave, thank you & I will reiterate how important it would be to us if you could share your memories of Bob with us~

EDIT: Disregard; I see you did~ #-o
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Return to "The Welcome Mat"