It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:55 am

Greetings from a noob..

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:04 pm

Re: Greetings from a noob..

stevewithrow wrote:Hi Bill , do you think some of the problem would be that he is using a 35 to power them with , I know my 35 really struggled..
Hello Steve, I know I'm not Bill but that's definitely part of the problem. Terry, it's not the watts that matter with these speakers. It's the amount of current draw they require. That's why Bob specifically built a set of amps that could drive them. That's also why it has been stated that there is only a handful of amplifiers out there that can properly power them.

What is required [on the power side of things] is a high current amplifier.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:22 pm

Well, 0dB is all the amp really has to give you. Steve may indeed be correct that those speaks are just too much for that TFM-35 I know I run a LOT of juice into my AL-IIIs (1600 Watts apiece).
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Terry F.

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:58 pm

I measured one speaker, it was 4.9 ohm. I don't have time to inspect the crossover, plus I don't know where it is located. Directly behind the connector block, perhaps? I need to do some research, I'm sure it is on this site!

BR,
Terry
(2) Silver 9t, TFM-55, TFM-35,
Original ALS, AL-III,
Sunfire TG5,
Sony 300 disc changer (yes, I am lazy), Blue-Ray player.
Previous

Return to "The Welcome Mat"