FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:04 pm

new guy

<<

ShillDog

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:06 pm

new guy

Hey everybody - I am glad to join your forum as I get to know my newly acquired Carver gear (M-1.0t - C-1). My Dad just passed down his amp and preamp to me - I have been patiently waiting for this day to arrive! I am now attempting to set it all up so I can start listening to vinyl again (I have a lot of old vinyl and new indie/alt rock vinyl I can't wait to listen to!). My Dad also sent me a JVC QL-A5 turntable with a dynavector cartridge - it is a great vintage turntable. Once I get it set up I'll be running it through a pair of brand new BW 685 speakers. I would like to get a small sub for a bit more low end - any suggestions? Outside of listening to music, I live in Northwest Montana (near Glacier National Park), teach high school art and building trades (Vo.ED.)., and have great family with my wife and three kiddos. Peace.

Adam
<<

TORO3

M-400t CUBE

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: new guy

Congrats and welcome to the forum, Adam!
Sunfire CRM2s, Sunfire CRS3C, Sunfire Cinema Seven, Harmon Kardon AVR240, Sony RCD-W5000

UDUB Football!
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:06 am

Welcome and congrats on the gear.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:14 am

Welcome Adam!!! =D> =D> =D> You will find alot of good advice on that subwoofer to be coming soon. I have a Sunfire true sub and really like it because it's small and I can dial in the amount and kind of bass I want.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:11 am

\:D/ WELCOME!! \:D/
Nice passdown from your Dad! =D>
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:19 am

Adam, welcome to the forum. Lot of very knowledgable individuals here willing and able to offer advice.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:29 am

Welcome to the forum!
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:22 am

Welcome ShillDog. Two great pieces that look and work well together.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:56 pm

ShillDog wrote:Hey everybody - I am glad to join your forum as I get to know my newly acquired Carver gear (M-1.0t - C-1). My Dad just passed down his amp and preamp to me - I have been patiently waiting for this day to arrive! I am now attempting to set it all up so I can start listening to vinyl again (I have a lot of old vinyl and new indie/alt rock vinyl I can't wait to listen to!). My Dad also sent me a JVC QL-A5 turntable with a dynavector cartridge - it is a great vintage turntable. Once I get it set up I'll be running it through a pair of brand new BW 685 speakers. I would like to get a small sub for a bit more low end - any suggestions? Outside of listening to music, I live in Northwest Montana (near Glacier National Park), teach high school art and building trades (Vo.ED.)., and have great family with my wife and three kiddos. Peace.

Adam

Hey Adam welcome to the forum. I wish everyone had a dad like yours! It is hard starting with a new set-up because you really don't know what will be needed or if you will even like the sound or, you think to yourself > it sounds good but something sure is missing! It is a never ending road I tell ya! Things to consider; If I have the spec's correct on your speakers > 49Hz - 22kHz Hz you will definitely want to pick up a sub. If it is powered on it's own or not is another consideration? The M-1.0t makes a Great sub amp > just something to consider when looking at subs. I would suggest picking up a TFM-35 you can find pretty cheap these days and are a great amp, save the M-1.0t for your sub. Just my 2 cents. It also depends on your budget?? How much do you have to spend? More members will chime in I'm sure. Welcome again, glad you found us!!
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:12 pm

Welcome to the forum! I personally love the m-1.0t amplifiers and would still be running one if hadn't switched up to a 5 channel sunfire. Things to consider when buying a subwoofer: Room size and accoustics, total output (how loud does it need to be,) types of music you listen to, will it be used for movies as well, size and speed of your main speakers, and how much you are looking to spend. I'm sure there are other considerations but those are the main ones I look at. The klipsch rsw line are great, velodyne hgs or dd series, svs pb-12 plus 2 and of course any of the sunfire true subs are all excellent. Good luck!
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:15 pm

WELCOME ShillDog!!!
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

ShillDog

Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:47 pm

I can already tell this is a great forum by everyone's kind greetings - Thank you. Well, to give some more background info. on what I am working with - my gear is listed below:

Carver C-1 Pre-amp
Carver M-1.0t amplifier
JVC QL-A5 turntable w/ a dynavector KARAT 23R
Sony DVD/CD player DVP-NS400D
Escient E-120 (120 GB) Digital Media Player
B&W 685 Bookshelf speakers
Toshiba REGZA 46RV530U 46-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV

Wish List:
-Small sub - either with integrated amp or seperate - room size is roughly 20'x24' (I am not a bass freak - I just want to balance out the 685's when listening to Jazz, Rock, etc.) I want to watch movies in 2.1 but this comes second to listening to music.
-Seperate amp - to power sub if it is not integrated - I did like the idea of using a TFM-35 for the speakers and the M-1.0t for the sub but am open to other possibilities.
-something that I could utilize Pandora/last.fm to listen to through my system
-Blu-ray player or a Sony Internet TV Blu-ray player (we do not have cable TV but use Netflix streaming through a Wii)

Bottomline - I am an Ultra rookie at this but would love any opinions. Some additional information would be that I have to work on a tight budget - we are a young family (all kids are under the age of 7) so my wife is going to be the final say on what I purchase. On a brighter note, my wife did comment last night that she really could already tell a difference in the clarity of sound through my new 685's as we listened to Bon Iver on vinyl - that made my night. We were listening to and watching everything before through one of those cheap Panasonic home theater packages - so I would hope she could tell a difference (I did not say that to her but instead said, "Aw, thanks honey:)" ). Anyway - thank you all for chiming in and I look forward to becoming more educated through all of your expertise.

Cheers,
Shill
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Great budget subwoofers that I've owned: velodyne cht-8 & 10, miller & kreisel v-75, mx-80, klipsch sw-8, 10, & 12. I've even picked up a klipsch rsw-10 for $200 locally on craigslist, which was a hell of a deal. All of these subs are great bargains, as they can usually be picked up cheap, $75-$150, and are surprisingly musical, though most will not go down to subsonic frequencies or produce gut-wrenching volumes. Generally speaking, the lower & louder you want to go, the more money it's going to cost you. Good Luck!
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:17 pm

I forgot to mention another, very worthy budget sub, the def tech prosub 1000 or 800. Very musical and hits lower then most, semi picky about placement but when you get them right they work great, very snappy. You can usaually find them for $150-$250, as they were only $500-$600 new but really a great subwoofer, even close to new price. A friend of mine still has my old Prosub 1000 and the thing just sounds great and plays plenty loud-- easily comparable to any used sub under $400.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

ShillDog

Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:25 pm

I think I am going to set aside $200-300 for a sub. I am going to explore finding a def tech 800/1000 (I like this suggestion jjptkd!), b&w asw600, velodyne impact series 10" or minivee, klipsch rsw series, or something downfiring. Thanks for the support everyone - keep the suggestions coming. If I had the cash I might go after a Sunfire true sub.....
Next

Return to "The Welcome Mat"