FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:41 am

New Member here - The Carver Receiver owner

<<

palmfish

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:09 am

New Member here - The Carver Receiver owner

Hello fellow Carver owner/enthusiasts!

I just found this forum after wiping the dust off my Carver Receiver and setting up a casual 2-channel system in my living room. I am the original owner - bought it new in 1984 - and it still looks and sounds like I remember. At the time I bought it, I was in the Army and had never spent that much money on an audio component in my life. But boy was it worth it - I loved that receiver and used it exclusively for about 12 years - until I got married and the stereo cabinet didn't pass WAF. I put it in a pillowcase in 1996 and never looked at it again until a few days ago!

There's a little static in the balance knob and the left speaker wants to cut out when it's centered, but if I sweep the knob back-and-forth a few times, it cleans up. I've never opened it up before or done any maintenance, so I'm thinking I'll open the case and spray some contact cleaner on all the reostats. Does that sound about right?

Anyways, I've got it hooked up to a minty Pioneer PL-707 turntable I just bought (which is what motivated me to pull the Carver out of hibernation). I've also got a Pioneer DVD player hooked up for SACD and DVD-A listening. My living room speakers are Def Tech SM450 monitors that I've had for 5 or 6 years. They are really terrific speakers and this has turned out to be a really easy and fun system to listen to. It's all just sitting on the floor right now until I find a rack that my wife finds acceptable...

I've also got my old Denon DR-M44 cassette deck still in a pillowcase under the bed - I bought it at the same time as my Carver but I don't see myself getting it out any time soon. I saw one on an online auction site and I'm watching to see how much it's worth...

Thanks for reading!
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:45 am

Re: New Member here - The Carver Receiver owner

Welcome to the forum! I enjoyed you story and thank you for sharing. It does bother me you have some kind of pillowcase fetish, not just one mention but two mentions of pillowcase? :-k Do you also have your wife/girlfriend under your bed in a pillowcase? :lol: I think a vacuum bag would work better. :rolleyes: Don't mind me, I'm just a little strange :D
Try this on your connections > http://www.all-spec.com/products/D5S-6.html
You can also find this at Radio Shack, this stuff works GREAT!
Welcome again to the forum, look forward to more of your post.
<<

palmfish

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:03 am

Jag_97470 wrote:Welcome to the forum! I enjoyed you story and thank you for sharing. It does bother me you have some kind of pillowcase fetish, not just one mention but two mentions of pillowcase? :-k Do you also have your wife/girlfriend under your bed in a pillowcase? :lol: I think a vacuum bag would work better. :rolleyes: Don't mind me, I'm just a little strange :D
Try this on your connections > http://www.all-spec.com/products/D5S-6.html
You can also find this at Radio Shack, this stuff works GREAT!
Welcome again to the forum, look forward to more of your post.

Hmmm, didn't realize I had a thing for pillowcases. You may be on to something...

I checked out the Deoxit you linked and ordered a can. I'll try it out and report back.

Thanks!
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:17 am

Hello & Welcome!!!

So your wife does not have a Rack? :-k and you have a pillowcase fetish? :lol: Nevermind me its late and I just took my Med's but stick around and enjoy the great company here and happy to see you aboard!
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:03 am

Welcome to "Carverville"!!! =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:35 pm

Welcome to the Forum.

As you can already see many (but not all) of the members here are insane.......but in a good way !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There are also some very knowlegable people who can help with advice or problems.

Welcome aboard.
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:34 pm

WELCOME!!
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:54 pm

palmfish wrote:Hello fellow Carver owner/enthusiasts!

I just found this forum after wiping the dust off my Carver Receiver and setting up a casual 2-channel system in my living room. I am the original owner - bought it new in 1984 - and it still looks and sounds like I remember. At the time I bought it, I was in the Army and had never spent that much money on an audio component in my life. But boy was it worth it - I loved that receiver and used it exclusively for about 12 years - until I got married and the stereo cabinet didn't pass WAF. I put it in a pillowcase in 1996 and never looked at it again until a few days ago!

There's a little static in the balance knob and the left speaker wants to cut out when it's centered, but if I sweep the knob back-and-forth a few times, it cleans up. I've never opened it up before or done any maintenance, so I'm thinking I'll open the case and spray some contact cleaner on all the reostats. Does that sound about right?

Anyways, I've got it hooked up to a minty Pioneer PL-707 turntable I just bought (which is what motivated me to pull the Carver out of hibernation). I've also got a Pioneer DVD player hooked up for SACD and DVD-A listening. My living room speakers are Def Tech SM450 monitors that I've had for 5 or 6 years. They are really terrific speakers and this has turned out to be a really easy and fun system to listen to. It's all just sitting on the floor right now until I find a rack that my wife finds acceptable...

I've also got my old Denon DR-M44 cassette deck still in a pillowcase under the bed - I bought it at the same time as my Carver but I don't see myself getting it out any time soon. I saw one on an online auction site and I'm watching to see how much it's worth...

Thanks for reading!

Good set up there.
Jag was right about the miracle of De-Oxit. I find it cheaper on ebay, and there are some to clean and some to protect. Jag will explain it to you if you PM him :lol:

You set these guys off by saying you served our country in the military. They are mostly a bunch of liberals who are offended by soldiers. :lol:

I would like to say welcome - "thanks for your service" . The Army almost drove me crazy too, but instead of getting kinky over pillow cases, I have a thing for gloves. :D

Like you I got some good audio stuff when overseas. I left all that behind. My goal had been to buy the latest/greatest from the P/x and at the time they would ship it duty free to your home. Instead, bought an old car. ](*,)

OO
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:18 pm

Welcome from a fellow military vet!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

palmfish

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:52 pm

Well, thanks again for the welcomes - liberals and others!

I've browsed around a bit but I haven't found any discussions of The Receiver. Are there any threads here that fellow Receiver owners frequent?
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:08 pm

Would not help me, but if you could post the model, it might help others - :lol:
<<

palmfish

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:23 am

As far as I know, it's just called "The Carver Receiver."

On the back, it says "FCC ID: BEY9JG MXR130, CARVER, MADE IN JAPAN" in small writing above the serial number.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:04 am

Welcome to the forum!
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:27 am

MXR-130 is the model number.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:06 pm

Welcome
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
Next

Return to "The Welcome Mat"