FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:57 pm

Newbie looking for advice

<<

fireprix

Post Sun May 15, 2011 6:45 pm

Newbie looking for advice

Hi just joined and looking for advice. I don't own any Carver equipment as of yet but I'm looking to buy an AV806X from Ebay. I would be useing it in a home theater system that I use mostly for music listening of CDs and multi channel music SACD and DVD audio. My present system is an Integra DTR 6.3 receiver. I use the pre amp outs for the fronts with a Y cord to 4 channels of a Harmon Kardon PA5800 to 2 amp bi wire a pair of JBL L7 speakers for my front and use 5th chanel to power a CL505 center. The Integra powers the rear surrounds which are a pair of JBL L5. All speakers are 6 ohms except the center. I'm pleased with the performance of the HK amp but the built in amp of the Integra is very poor at best for driving 6 ohm speakers. I would like to buy the Carver and use 4 of the channels to drive the L7's and 2 channels to drive the L5's. The L5's aren't bi wire or bi amp capable. The Integra is fine driving 8 ohm speakers. I would use this to drive the CL505 and an SC305 for front center and rear surround respectively. This is probably a stupid question but would the Carver have any trouble driving the 6 channels of 6 ohm loads that I would be asking it to do? I'm pretty sure it would. I can't find any info on this amp anywhere except that it is 133 wpc at 8 ohms. I think I saw somewhere that it can drive 6 4 ohm loads but I'm not sure. Is this amp rated at all channels driven? I always wanted to own a Carver and I think this is the time.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sun May 15, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: Newbie looking for advice

Welcome to the forum.

I have never seen any info on 4 ohm loads on the 806. That being said I would have to say that that amp should have no issues with a 4 ohm load into 6 channels. I could not see Bob Carver design a amp that would not be able to drive that.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Mon May 16, 2011 4:11 am

Welcome
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Mon May 16, 2011 4:31 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with the AV806X, but I think most Carver amps can handle 4-8 ohm speakers with no problem. I'm sure someone will chime in soon with an answer for you.
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon May 16, 2011 6:27 am

welcome.gif
welcome.gif (39.8 KiB) Viewed 969 times
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon May 16, 2011 9:08 am

Welcome. PM sent as it relates to question.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Mon May 16, 2011 10:29 am

You may be able to glean some info out of these reviews of it !
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplific ... 83crx.aspx
Welcome to the dark side ! 8)
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon May 16, 2011 12:10 pm

=D> \:D/ Welcome!!! \:D/ =D> Just the fact that it's bridgable indicates that it's atleast 4 ohm stable.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

fireprix

Post Wed May 18, 2011 9:03 am

Thanks for the responses. I'll let you guys know if I end up with one or not. If I don't win this one I'll be on the lookout for another. These seem to turn up occasionally. I read a review that says this amp is very similar to an ADA PTM 6150 for a lot less money.
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed May 18, 2011 3:35 pm

Scan of manual sent by e-mail!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed May 18, 2011 3:48 pm

I have the 505 and the 705.
Both have pulled all the crap I have at different times with ease.
The best thing about this bunch of Carver is the ease of Bi-Amp.
<<

fireprix

Post Thu May 19, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks to Don for going through the trouble of scaning and emailing me his owner's manual for the AV806X. After reading it I was shocked and dishartened that it clearly stated in the manual that 8 ohms is the lowest recommended impedience for this amp. Don also told me that Mr. Carver didn't design this amp but he thought it was designed well and appeared to be well built. I'm unsure as to what to do at this time. Even a used Sunfire amp is way out of my price range at this time. I have seen pictures of the inside of this amp and it does appear to be solid. I know a little bit about electronics and amplifires but don't understand why they recommend 8 ohms or higher. My HK doesn't appear to be as heavy duty but they rate it to drive 5 channels of 4 ohm load and rate it at all channels driven. It now drives 4 channels at 6 ohms and 1 channel at 8 ohms and can be played at very high volumes and throws off little heat. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the 6 ohm loads are divided up into just 2 speakers via 2 amp bi-wiring for each. The Carver would see this bi-wiring on 4 channels but the other 2 channels would be driving 6 ohm speakers that are true 4 way speakers with a small 8" sub and 6 1/2" midbass that don't have bi-wiring capability. Has anyone out there tried to drive low impedience speakers with an AV806X? If so how did it work out? Thanks.
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu May 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Well, the ability to drive low Ω loads is all about current. An amplifier can't defy Ohm's law, and a transformer can only deliver so much current at its rated voltage. Now V=I×R, so when R gets small, I must go up to maintain a constant V. If you reach the limit of the amplifier to increase I as R goes down, V must go down, too, or as we call it, sag. When the rails sag the output transistors don't have enough voltage on their collectors to reproduce the music faithfully (i.e., beneath that voltage), which is one form of clipping. Clipping not only sounds bad, but can do serious damage to your speakers over time (voice coils heat up and eventually fail in one of numerous ways).

The best way to avoid this is to not demand too much from your amplifier. A 200W 8Ω rated amplifier can probably play all day without breaking more sweat at 100W into 4Ω (constant current). Remember, this is peak power though. The reason you have a powerful amp is to keep the peaks below the maximum. What I mean be constant current is, for example, a 200W amplifier could draw 5A with rail voltages of 40V, yielding 200W (5A×40V=200W). If you keep the 5A as a constant, when you go to 4Ω, you have ½ the voltage (V=I×R → V=5A×4Ω=20V → 5A×20V=100W).

It's a little more complicated than that, but that's the jist.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu May 19, 2011 8:52 pm

Yeah, what BillD said :-k Save your money and look for a sunfire 200X5 you will not be disappointed.
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat May 28, 2011 4:13 am

Jag_97470 wrote:Yeah, what BillD said :-k Save your money and look for a sunfire 200X5 you will not be disappointed.

What he and him said :lol:

200X5 Sunfire NEVER DISAPPOINTS!!!
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
Next

Return to "The Welcome Mat"