FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:14 am

NC Noob Here

<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:32 pm

Re: NC Noob Here

chris669 wrote:I'm another Damn Yankee in the Southland, one that got here 10 years ago and won't go back....love NC and the great people here.

I do hate trash moving South and trying to make it into what they ruined/abandoned, but that does not seem to be you.

Welcome. Try to make a day or two at CF. We have one bunk open and you are welcome to it.

Most who move in keep their old FB teams and I am good with that.
After ten years in Greensboro have you taken up the WolfPack, TarHeels or Blue Devils?
<<

chris669

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:21 am

I just read about Carverfest, and do plan to kayak down that way in September. Nantahala is very close to there as well as many excellent whitewater runs. I'll try to link up for a day or two.

You had to mention sports, and yes I have taken my tale of woe with me from Ohio. Browns, cursed and perpeturally rebuilding coupled with bouts of insanity, Cavs (nothing needs to be said there, athough Irving was one bright spot in a weak draft class), Indians (curse of Rocky Colavito keeps them shy of the big prize, worse now that Boston got the monkey off their back).

Rambling, Baseball still on the Tribe bandwagon, Suffer throught more Panthers games than Browns now, NBA, who needs pro ball in the hot bed of College Hoops? I was at IU when we won it all with the General in 87, and its pretty much been from the Summit to the Valley. I guess I should be a Duke fan by proxy, since coach K is the great protege, but I have a soft spot for Wake Forest...preparing for mortar rounds to commence firing. One thing I have learned in this state is there is no shortage of fans for the great sport of college hoops...and a few nascar fans as well. I personally pull for the local boy up here, Mr. Harvick...
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:27 am

Ditto...NC guys need to be there!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:51 pm

Howdy Chris,
There are those around, that can breath new life into that M-500t for ya. (The best all around) Carver amp ever made IMHO. You can't believe the difference after a good refurb ! I would strongly recommend a C-1 or C-4000t to pair with it. They both have great phono sections. Either one of those will need a refurb too, but what the heck, I haven't heard a thing built today that compares to my love of the Carver sound ! Stick around for awhile and get to know us all, you'll figure out who to call.............................................................Welcome.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:01 am

Another one...

Welcome to the forum from a sunny Charlotte, NC!
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

chris669

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:29 pm

Awesome to se so many Carverites in my back yard...

Got done with Phase 1 of my Hifi reconstruction this week. Rebuilt my Audio Concepts G2 speakers, and reassembled today. Found Seas replacement voice coils from Madisound for 26 each, so replaced both. (One of mine was dented in storage or moving), got the 2 ACI 10" woofers repaired with new urethane foam surrounds as the old latex foam had dry rotted. Midranges are still sounding good. Total cost was 120 bucks, and the results were pretty amazing even before breaking them back in.

Hooked it all up the the m500t and the NAD 1130, played some CD's in my not so great Blu Ray player, and some vinyl on the Optonica. Got it adjusted and dialed in the Sumiko Black Pearl to get pretty good results so far...

Next step is to find a CD player under 500 that sounds great. Looking at Marantz, Music Hall to start with. Open to other suggestions to research...

Definitely off to a good start....
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:49 pm

chris669 wrote:
Next step is to find a CD player under 500 that sounds great. Looking at Marantz, Music Hall to start with. Open to other suggestions to research...

Definitely off to a good start....

Hi Chris, I would say you could find a jolida CD Player at or around $500 and that is the best your going to get without spending Many times more! That would by far be my first pick :) Good Luck!!!
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

chris669

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:47 pm

Excellent suggestion, added to the list....
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:06 pm

=D> =D> Welcome!! =D> =D> I like the M-500t as well, one of the nicest looking of all the Carvers and sounds good too.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

fiero11

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Welcome from East Tennessee! =D>
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:59 pm

chris669 wrote:

If you are really open, and since new might have missed me saying this before -- :-"

Put your money into the best DAC you afford.
Then any decent CD player will exceed what you are likely to buy for $500.

As a plus, the DAC will serve you well for all digital music.
Previous

Return to "The Welcome Mat"