FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:32 am

2nd Gen Carver Fan

<<

specd_out

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:18 pm

2nd Gen Carver Fan

Glad to be here and I am enjoying my Carver equipment very much. Let me give you the reasons why a 28 year guy buys 25 year old equipment.

When I was much younger around 10 or so, My dad had a Carver TFM15, Carver C16, and a Polk Audio RM3000 rig. He used to turn the volume and sit on the couch listening to his tunes. I never paid much attention to it then but I do remember the sound and feeling of it.

Fast forward to about 5 years ago. I fell into a awesome deal on a pair of RtiA5's when Sound Advice was closing down. Ever since that day I have always searched for that sound that i remember for my dads rig. At first thinking that my Polks attached to a 7 year old Sony htib receiver would mimic that sound, I realized what I needed. After a few receiver upgrades I finally settled down on a Pioneer Elite Vsx-32 that had pre outs. But even though this receiver sounds great and has all the features I want it didnt have that sound. So I started researching Carver amps, I new i wanted more power the the TFM15 offered and I ended up settling on the 1.0t.

After alot of research and forum searching I realized that I would perfer to purchase locally and make sure some of the common issues where not present. After sometime i found a guy selling one on craigslist and he was willing to demo it for me. Not knowing what to expect going to this guys house, I was hesitant. Upon arriving i was greeted by a very nice mid 60's man and wife. He takes me inside, and his house is full of vintage amps and speakers of all kinds, beautiful pioneer rack systems, turntables, and reel to reel tape players. Then he took me to where the Carver amp was, back in his "workshop". In there was all kinds of audio testing and repair equipment, a few oscilloscopes and VU meters as well. Come to find out that he has many years in working on and repairing vintage audio equipment. I was in awe

I spent the next hour and a half listening to and chatting about audio and the Carver. he explained everything he checked out to make sure it was in spec, balanced the channels, and he opened it for me and showed me the board and the caps. Explained what everything was and what he had repaired over the years. One thing that he said to me really impacted me. He said " seeing such a young person (I am 28) that is really interested in quality vintage audio and not satisfied with just earplug speakers was refreshing to him". That really made me feel good, many people dont understand why we spend so much money on this stuff when music can be hear on earbuds and a ipod. It was nice to share that love of audio with him.

When the time came to pay he offered me a Carver C-1 and a Carver Tx-2, I turned him down as it was hard enough to get my wife to let me pay the $325 for the amp. He persisted and I told him that I had no need for a pre as I used my Elite for that. The he told me that he would give them both to me for and extra $20. I instantly jumped on paypal and paid the difference.

I left there feeling so happy, not only had I purchased what I had wanted for so long but I got more then I wanted for a incredible deal. Then to top it all off, it was owned by a audiophile that knew what he was doing. Its a dream purchase.

The amp is wonderful, No thump, no static, no bulging caps, Just a good clean amp inside and out. Both the preamp and the amp have immaculate faceplates and had been serviced by him recently.

The sound is just as I remembered. Instantly memories of when i was a kid came flooding back. Such a warm, clear and powerful sound. The C-1 and the 1.0t just absolutely devastate my elite in terms of quality

Just wanted to share my experience, and how glad I am to be a part of this forum.

Sorry for being long winded.
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:28 pm

Re: 2nd Gen Carver Fan

Not only are you welcome here you are one lucky person! Enjoy the sound and stick around.....
Ray
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:57 pm

Great story!! =D> =D> I too am a second generation Carver fan, my late uncle Bob bought a Carver stack new, TFM-45, CT-17 plus CD player and tape deck directly through a friend of his that use to work at Carver Corp back in the day along with a new set of Klipsch Forte IIs from Magnolia. Its pretty much been Carver n Klipsch for me because of the memories from his stereo.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:11 pm

Great story, thank you for sharing. Now that you have achieved your fathers sound do you really think it will stop there? Your wife might think so, and let me tell you, she is mistaken! You will want to improve upon "your" sound and it NEVER STOPS. Easier said than done I know, and your wife thinks this is all you will purchase?? Hahahahaha! You found this forum sooooo, that means your in big trouble mister! :-k
You have a great set-up so whatever you do > Do not look at Sunfire! [-X
Welcome and enjoy!
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:17 pm

Great story. Never apologize for sharing stuff like that~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:22 pm

*5* =D> =D> =D>

THANK YOU for the Great story! Sounds like you will be enjoying that stuff for a long time. Cheers!!!
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:14 am

Great story. Thanks for Sharing.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

kingman

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:11 am

Congrats and "enjoy the music"!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 am

=D> Great Story! Enjoy the Music, and Welcome to the Forum! \:D/
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

specd_out

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks guys. I am really enjoying it. I am trying to get it all set up, I have a slight buzz I am try to work out but other then that, its great
<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:43 am

First place to look for a buzz is if you're connected to ANY cable device (decoder box, etc.). They are notorious for incorrect grounding.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

specd_out

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:07 pm

Not directly. Everything I have goes directly to my receiver then my preouts to the C-1 and the to the m1.0t. The only exception is my DVR which goes directly to my TV. I am searching some threads and seeing what I can find.

Return to "The Welcome Mat"