FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:55 am

Carver PM-175 Opinions Please

<<

chains91

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:43 pm

Carver PM-175 Opinions Please

I've never owned Carver gear but recently came across a PM_175 power amp at a pawn shop for 110.00. I put it on lay-away on a whim with no knowledge of it. I don't see any useful reviews online and was hoping someone would chime in with their experiences or opinions on this unit. Thanks
<<

fill35U

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:05 pm

Re: Carver PM-175 Opinions Please

Congratulations on your new amp!

The PM-175 seems to be uncommon these days. I don't know how popular they were when they were being made back in the mid-'80's.

I haven't seen what they look like inside, I'm sure we would all appreciate any pics you could post!

I haven't been able to find a service manual or schematic, but *think* the PM-175 was a "one flat board" amp. Pretty sure it's a Mag Field amp, with two rails for the output stage. Possibly the pro version of the equally-rare M-0.5t?

The PM-175 was rated 175 Watts per channel into 8 ohms, stereo. It was also bridgeable in series mono with a switch (common ground outputs). Non-inverting in stereo mode.

As were most amps of that era, the XLR's are factory wired for pin 2 *cold* (-), although many were subsequently changed to the modern standard of pin 2 hot. The TRS jacks are conventionally wired and parallel the XLR's (easy to jumper for dual mono or daisy chain).

There's a provision on the back for changeable modules, such as crossovers. Might want to see if it's got something special plugged in there!

Good luck!
Current setup: Random Naked Amps Piled on Floor and/or Wedged Into Shelves

Don't call amp mutilators "butchers"- butchers are highly skilled professionals.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:12 pm

Re: Carver PM-175 Opinions Please

=D> \:D/ =D> Welcome!! \:D/ =D> \:D/

I have no experience with that amp but its a Carver and the price seems right, Congrats!!
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15

Return to "The Welcome Mat"