New guy in the neighborhood! Well, sort of...

Just found us? Entering CarverAudio.com for the first time? Post your introductions here and say hi to all of the other Carver enthusiasts.
ChopsMkII

New guy in the neighborhood! Well, sort of...

Post by ChopsMkII » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:49 pm

Hello! My name is Charles and finally got registered here on the forum.

I've been a long time Carver fan since I was 11 years old. Now at the age of 42, finally have some great Carver gear of my own.

When my oldest brother came home from the Army, he had some Carver equipment with him that he bought at the PX while stationed in Germany. These pieces included a C-1, TX-11, DTL-100, and an M-400t. He also had a Harmon/Kardon CD-491, Nakamichi BX-125, Nakamichi DRAGON, a Denon DP-67L, and a pair of JBL L112 loudspeakers.

A few years down the road, he swapped out the C-1 for a C-4000, and the transport in the DTL-100 died and he bought an SD/A-450. A little later, he got himself another M-400t, running them bridged to the JBL's. Then around that same time, he purchased a TFM-35x to power a couple of dbx 15" sealed subwoofers from that old hifi catalog called DAK.

Around the same time as him buying that TFM-35x, I purchased a PM-700 to power a DIY 15" sealed sub that I had built.

Anyway, I fell in love with the Carver gear when he spun the first track "Mama" on the self-titled Genesis album. Up to that point, at the age of 11, I had never heard music so loud, so clear, so powerful, so moving. The LED's dancing around near max on the little M-400t, the bass hitting right through me, and the lights in the room dimming... A lot I might add, with every beat of the music. It was incredible, and it was this very day that I was hooked for life. That day also explains why Phil Collins is my favorite music artist as well. I own pretty much every album of his and of Genesis.

Currently, I have a BillD C-1, a bone stock TX-11a, and a pair of M-500t MkII's. I also have a C-9 that I used for a short while before getting the BillD C-1. I gave the C-9 to my oldest brother. I also bought as a total surprise an MXR-130 "The Receiver" for my oldest brother.

And just for fun, here's a current picture of my setup...
Charles

Carver Gear: 4000t (Bonzoro), TX-11a, M-500t MkII x 2 (DaddyJT) & (Nahash5150)
Sources: Oppo BDP-105D, Roku Ultra, Technics SL-1700 MK2 w/ Orotofon 2M Bronze Cartridge
DSP/Room EQ: dbx Driverack Venu360
Speakers: Genesis Physics II (highly upgraded crossover networks)
Cables: AudioQuest, Wireworld
Power Conditioning: Blue Circle Audio, APC

For my Bro: Carver "The Receiver" MXR-130 (kve777) w/ Custom Solid Walnut "Cheeks" (PMAT), GR Research X-Statik (highly upgraded crossover networks)

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Re: New guy in the neighborhood! Well, sort of...

Post by Toy Maker » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:28 pm

Welcome! Glad you were able to sneak through the cracks and found your way in.

I loves me some Phil Collins !!! and with a JL sub... how can you possibly go wrong ?!?!

ChopsMkII

Post by ChopsMkII » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:54 pm

Thank you James for the warm welcome. I had a little help finding my way through those cracks. \:D/

And yes, that little JL e110 is a great little unit. It rumbles and digs deep when asked upon. And it never gets in the way of the music. With phase and time alignment taken care of via the dbx Driverack Venu 360, the JL blends in perfectly, completely unnoticed with the Martin Logan SL3's. Speaking of those SL3's, they are completely controlled actively, also via the Venu 360. I completely bypassed the internal passive crossover networks in them. They're like brand new speakers all over again, and now with dynamics.
Charles

Sources: Oppo BDP-105D, Roku Ultra, Technics SL-1700 MK2 w/ Orotofon 2M Bronze Cartridge

For my Bro: Carver "The Receiver" MXR-130 (kve777) w/ Custom Solid Walnut "Cheeks" (PMAT), GR Research X-Statik (highly upgraded crossover networks)

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:08 pm

Welcome in Charles/Chops!

Your pic makes me get a little bit of a lump in my throat. I started down my higher end audio path with the ML Sequel 2, which is as I'm sure you know, a real close cousin to the SL3. Ironically, I got into those when I couldn't find Bob's big Amazings at that time in my area. But I did get the next best after while....I wound up driving them with the Silver9T. I later had an opportunity and jumped up the much bigger original ML Monolith's, which I still have.

I spent about a dozen years or a little more with the big ML's and the 9T. Still have a soft spot for Martin Logan's for sure. And it was absolutely fascinating too, a few years ago, hear Bob describe his relationship with Gayle Sanders and the beginning of ML. Wow...that brought it all full circle. And then knowing that relationship, to yet later see Bob's design while still Phase Linear and see his Andromeda speaker and how incredibly close in looks it is to the original Monolith. Never researched the years to see what came first but I'd about expect there was a little looks influence there between them...and some respect being paid too.

Anyway, welcome in over here and don't make yourself a stranger.

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

ChopsMkII

Post by ChopsMkII » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Thanks for the kind words Mark.

I really like these ML's. And they got a whole lot better once I bypassed the passive networks. I've often wondered how Bob's ribbon's compare to these.
Charles

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:35 pm

I haven't been following Phil much over the last few years, I've been exploring a bunch of different music... after your 1st post I decided to go see what Phil's been up to...

This is FUCKING AWESOME !!!
After a few surgeries Phil can't play the drums as well he used to, so his 16 year old son is taking his place behind the drums !!!
Reminds alot me of some kids I know 8)

ChopsMkII

Post by ChopsMkII » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:16 pm

Yeah, his son Nicholas kicks ass on the drums. In fact, his style is very similar to Phil's. They've been on tour for a while now too I think.
Charles

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:01 pm

Welcome aboard Chops!! Kick your shoes off and stay awhile.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

engtaz
"TAZ"

Post by engtaz » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:35 am

Welcome
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:26 am

Welcome to Carveraudio chops!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Return to “"The Welcome Mat"”