It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:21 am

Another repeat newbie..

<<

Retriever

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:40 pm

Another repeat newbie..

Hi all
I'm an old geek looking for a new home.

Here's a shot of my evil lair hope you all don't mind...

[URL=http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/retriever6/media/76182013-7EC8-44FA-909C-AAF4F36FA158_zpsmrfoelmf.jpg.html]Image[/UR

I'll try posting system pic's later although it's not nearly as impressive as some I've seen on this site!

James
<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:57 pm

Re: Another repeat newbie..

Looks like you can fix my TX-11 since those buttons on the right have always been a pain in the ass and stick when you try to get on a certain frequency :rolleyes:

But other than that I made it do a couple hours of work while I washed my car \:D/

Looks like you have lots of stuff in your shop (mine is sort of like that but I don't do much work these days and I just let it sit there to look at )

Going through my vacuum tube collection lately and still have a box full to look up.

What part of the country are you at?
<<

Retriever

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:23 pm

I'm in Pinkney Mi.
That Tx11 problem is pretty common IIRC there is an adjustable capacitor that out of tolerance or dirty that affects the unit Ill review the schematics again as to where it is..

Tuner repair sucks! Yes I can do it and it takes a while to do a proper alignment.
Currently finishing a Ct17 pre.

I really enjoyed rebuilding 3 MKII sig sub's their my pride and joy and got the full Nichon treatment.
(Bought them all broke).

James
<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:49 pm

Well Pinkney is a long way away from where I am.

You can have fun doing that work as long as you end up with something that comes back to life and of course you can use even better parts.

Easier to replace parts then it is going through several boards trying to figure out where the problems are.

I used to do that stuff but the last 15 years it has been enough work with computers and programming/data processing.

My scope has been asleep for years but I did replace my 30 year old VOM since I wore it out :lol:

Years ago I made EPIRBs from start to finish including burning them in.

Used to spend many hours blowing up and fixing Carver Corp. things like Magnetic Field amps and the original ALS X-overs and ribbons :D

So keep on doing it and have fun and stay away from computers because they can keep you working too much and have no time for what you are doing James.

I admit is is more fun just listening to music once you have everything working.
<<

frenchguy

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:53 pm

Nice setup you have there!! =D> would like to have that to trouble shoot some of my gear! fortunatly we have a few guys that come to Carverfest that spend their whole vacation fixing all our gear! =D> You should try to join us for the fest, there are a few people coming from michigan! \:D/ 8)
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & CF Linestage, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 Amazing speakers in natural oak, Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Douglas connection cables
<<

Retriever

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:00 pm

Lol I hear that I'm a Sr. software engineer (18yrs)so I stay away from PC's at home.
senior means all the grey hair has fallen off my head!

Before that Sr Engineer 17 years
I enjoyed the sunfire trouble shooting as it took me back to my old SMPS design days kinda fun to work with mosfets and high speed diodes again (Downtracker).

Sounds like we chew the same turf!

I spend more lab time in the winter, summer onto Boating wohoo!!
James
<<

Retriever

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:04 pm

Frenchguy I consider Greg (Nahash) a very good friend and kindred spirit!
Even offered him my Tektronix AA501 Da for his trip!
I seriously considered joining you all this year, but I'm buying a new house and trying to sell mine (big hassle)
The cool part the new home, its on a lake!

Next year I hope to. I tried to stop in for a visit last year but the site integration I was working on in SC ran long.
<<

frenchguy

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:25 pm

James, try to make it for a few days, some real bargains on accomadations as some have extra rooms available at very good prices! once you went, you would never want to miss it!
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & CF Linestage, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 Amazing speakers in natural oak, Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Douglas connection cables
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:21 pm

[-X Al
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

Retriever

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:55 pm

Did I miss something Hewlew1??
<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:22 am

Retriever wrote:Lol I hear that I'm a Sr. software engineer (18yrs)so I stay away from PC's at home.
senior means all the grey hair has fallen off my head!

Before that Sr Engineer 17 years
I enjoyed the sunfire trouble shooting as it took me back to my old SMPS design days kinda fun to work with mosfets and high speed diodes again (Downtracker).

Sounds like we chew the same turf!

I spend more lab time in the winter, summer onto Boating wohoo!!
James

:lol: Well I am young when I sit on the couch watching tv but when I have to get up and do some work I find out I haven't been young for over 15 years now :lol:

BUT I still have all my hair and I rarely cut it since I don't have to and the beard is about 3 years old too .......and not enough gray to call it gray yet either 8)

Back in my EPIRB days I assembled and built hundreds of circuit boards and even made the antenna's and burned in those boards in a copper mesh room to block the signal.......so yeah the local sheriff stopped by one time that I tried to sneak out to get a cup of coffee :D

I retired many years ago........sort of.......but I do all my work at and from home.

I live on 5 acres on the Olympic Peninsula so we have water everywhere and my wife is a retired sail boat builder but most of the time our pond is the closest we get to water and I am her opposite so the only boat I ever been on most of my life is the Washington State ferry system since we have to take one to get to Seattle.

But just stopping by here once in a while keeps electronics on my mind and you stopping by may even get me to fire up my soldering iron next rainy day and finish going through my old vacuum tube stash and looking them all up (my Carver Cube is on my repair list for its 2nd time so that would be a place to start)

Have a fine weekend James

- Samson
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:39 am

Good to have you aboard again!

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:21 am

Welcome in the board! Really enjoy the bench picture. I recognize about everything there!

Not a lot of time to jump in as I'm on the road for a couple days working at Poison Ivy Point (it seems).

BTW....The super secret and highly secure =; Login and password for the wifi at the Days Inn at Bradley WV is guest and guest in case anybody needs it and doesn't want to have to go to the front desk in the middle of the flippin night to ask, since they didn't bother to put it in the Guest Info packet in the room. ](*,) Reading mail on a phone sucks IMHO.

Mark
This is the year of "The Fest"!
<<

frenchguy

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:37 am

What Harry? I was just making him aware that Doug has some room in cabin 6 if he is interested!

Return to "The Welcome Mat"