New to Carver...first questions

Just found us? Entering CarverAudio.com for the first time? Post your introductions here and say hi to all of the other Carver enthusiasts.
bob p
SILVER-7t

Post by bob p » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:09 pm

OBI, nice looking dog. Not that much black on him. :)
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:15 pm

TNRabbit wrote:
OBI56 wrote:
JohnW wrote:Last question then....

Is there such a thing as CAS...Carver Aquisition Syndrome ? Do I need to guard against it ?

:)
The technical term is OCCD. there is a whole section on it in here. TNRabbit (affectionally known as Wabbit) is the official OCCD enabler. It is a highly contagious condition and there is no known cure. I am seriously afflicted with it having just completed my 4th Carver acquisition in the past 45 days, so I speak from experience.

Good luck

Marc ....
Hell, we even have a THREAD dedicated to it!

http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=41

Also, how the heck did I become known as "Wabbit?" ....?? O:)
Geez, try and being nice to a guy and using a nickname .... O:) O:) O:)

Monsieur TNRabbit Sir, do a search on Wabbit and you will find at least 33 references to Wabbit so far. Don't tell me you, of all people just noticed? If I din't affectionate you, I wouldn't call you Wabbit. If I didn't like you, I would ignore you. If I really, REALLY like you, then I threaten to take you over my knee and spank you! But then, that would be a topic for the Way Off Topic section.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:19 pm

bob p wrote:OBI, nice looking dog. Not that much black on him. :)
Thanks for the compliment bob p. He's 15 and most of his black has been greying out over the years.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:34 pm

OBI56 wrote:
TNRabbit wrote:
OBI56 wrote: The technical term is OCCD. there is a whole section on it in here. TNRabbit (affectionally known as Wabbit) is the official OCCD enabler. It is a highly contagious condition and there is no known cure. I am seriously afflicted with it having just completed my 4th Carver acquisition in the past 45 days, so I speak from experience.

Good luck

Marc ....

Monsieur TNRabbit Sir, do a search on Wabbit and you will find at least 33 references to Wabbit so far. Don't tell me you, of all people just noticed? If I din't affectionate you, I wouldn't call you Wabbit. If I didn't like you, I would ignore you. If I really, REALLY like you, then I threaten to take you over my knee and spank you! But then, that would be a topic for the Way Off Topic section.

I refer you to the little "smiley" at the end of my post. Not directed at you, specifically..... O:)
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:03 pm

TNRabbit wrote:
OBI56 wrote:
TNRabbit wrote: Hell, we even have a THREAD dedicated to it!

I refer you to the little "smiley" at the end of my post. Not directed at you, specifically..... O:)
Didja see my 3? O:) O:) O:)

frankieD
Frankie The Mouth

Post by frankieD » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:37 pm

Welcome JohnW.
I have a set of Infinity 1.5's, had for over 20 years. Thay are great speakers and also are the reason I discovered Carver. I originally drove them with a 100 watt rms receiver. It was o.k. but I was told I needed "more power" so I bought an M400t (200 watts per). The improvement was dramatic and early stages of OCCD followed.

Seriously, if you are using them and the receiver stays cool and there are no signs (sonic) of distress you should be fine. The weird "legs" will make them sound better by lifting them & tilting them back. If you can't use them experiment with position etc .

Room size has a lot to do with it. I used the m400t for years in an apartment, it was great. Moved up to an M500t when I bought a house and never had a problem. when I moved the speakers into the living room (larger, vaulted ceiling) I blew amp fuses at loud (live) levels on certain cds (big bad voodoo daddy). That had never happened before.

Just trying to give you the benifit of my experience. The speakers themselves (except for woofer foam) seem pretty bullet proof.

When Rabbit suggested advice from more technically skilled people he was not talking about me. I will say this though, speakers DO in a sense pull current out of an amp & the problems happen when the amp cannot deliver the current. As ohms go down current flow will go up, if it can. If it can't = problem.

All this is really unimportant since you've been bitten with OCCD and will end up with an amp someday. Good Luck and glad to have you.

Frank.

JohnW
Newbie 50+

Post by JohnW » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:11 pm

Actually, I have a lot of electronics in my background, so I probably won't find anyone in my circle, more technically savy. ( The degree changed to computers , somewhere along the line. ) :)

That being cleared up...

My concern has been that if the output stage of this amplifier is designed for no LESS than 8 ohms, then how it operates if I have half the output impedence, or even LESS, if the woofers drop to less than 4 ohms is my worry. I know the current through the circuitry will certainly increase. ( This is the "draw" I'm refering to. ) Will that increase be seen in an increase in temperature that I can feel, or could some small component just go "pop!" ? If the Carver gear has enough over head built in to handle this, then I'm feeling better. Perhaps it's this piece of mind factor I'm looking for.

frankieD,
The improvement was dramatic and early stages of OCCD followed.
Can you give me more on this ? Was it better at the same output level ? Was it just better because you could turn it up more ?

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:34 pm

There are several electronics techies here....you'll fit right in and maybe all of you will horde the threads with your diagrams and talk of things over the rest of our heads..... :lol:
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

JohnW
Newbie 50+

Post by JohnW » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:36 pm

Could we have some electronics schematic smiles please . :)

frankieD
Frankie The Mouth

Infinity improvement

Post by frankieD » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:17 pm

The improvement was at all volume levels. It was a long time ago and the album (remember those?) used as an example was "dark side of the moon", specfically the "heartbeat" was considerably more apparent in the background.

I have an an electronic/computer background also but audio is different. I know very little (nothing) about amplifier design. Digital is another story and is often misunderstood by "audiophiles".

We can always use another tech type.

JohnW
Newbie 50+

Post by JohnW » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:11 pm

frankieD,

Interesting. My brother mention some sort of noticable range of tones improvement as well. He has some Infinity Kappa 7 speakers. Being of the analytical type, I sure would like to know why this occures. Hopefully, it's not just the amplifier plecebo effect. " I just got this new cool amp, and now I hear things so MUCH better ! "

On the tech side of things...back in college, before I decided to change to computer science, I was in the electronics department for 3 years. A/C, DC, and digital electronics. At that time, I really was interested in audio R&D stuff. The lab instructor told me that if I really wanted to be in design, I needed to take more math, up to calculus. Without the math, it would be just general ideas. So..off I went to take all the engineering stuff. Somehow, I got into computers a lot more and didn't get the electronics degree. ( Of course, Bob Carver was a physics guy. ) I am still intrested in audio stuff, because it gives a physical result, when you mess with the circuit. Somehow, a better CPU just doesn't do the same thing for me.

Mr. M-500t
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by Mr. M-500t » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:41 pm

TNRabbit wrote:
OBI56 wrote:
JohnW wrote:Last question then....

Is there such a thing as CAS...Carver Aquisition Syndrome ? Do I need to guard against it ?

:)
The technical term is OCCD. there is a whole section on it in here. TNRabbit (affectionally known as Wabbit) is the official OCCD enabler. It is a highly contagious condition and there is no known cure. I am seriously afflicted with it having just completed my 4th Carver acquisition in the past 45 days, so I speak from experience.

Good luck

Marc ....

Wabbit, You Waskle. Have you forgotten already ?
I'm Elmer Fud ! (Remember?) I guess it kinda caught on. O:) O:) O:)

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:54 pm

Duck Season!
Wabbit Season!
Duck Season!
Wabbit Season!
Duck Season!
Wabbit Season!
Duck Season!
Wabbit Season!
Duck Season!
Wabbit Season!
Duck Season!
Wabbit Season!
Duck Season!
Wabbit Season!
O:)
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

Mr. M-500t
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by Mr. M-500t » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:00 pm

TNRabbit wrote:Duck Season!
Wabbit Season!
Duck Season!
Wabbit Season!
Duck Season!
Wabbit Season!
Duck Season!
Wabbit Season!
Duck Season!
Wabbit Season!
Duck Season!
Wabbit Season!
Duck Season!
Wabbit Season!
Exactly Wabbit ! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:57 pm

So, JohnW; how goes it with your amp/speaker dilema? Have you experienced any issues? If you've run the amp/speakers at a pretty good clip & you have no shutdowns or amp heating up, I don't think you're going to have issues.

SOME of us (Toy Maker/skip/TNRabbit/Magnaryder/Madddmaxxx/to name a few....) like our music at "performance level" so we're more prone to blow something up. I refer you to the CarverFest '07 thread where skip managed to cook one of the capacitors in his Platinums driving them with Silver 9t monoblock amps....I will say Alison Krauss was sounding VERY good that day...

TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

Return to “"The Welcome Mat"”