Hello from LA.....Lower Alabama the other LA

Just found us? Entering CarverAudio.com for the first time? Post your introductions here and say hi to all of the other Carver enthusiasts.
OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Hello from LA.....Lower Alabama the other LA

Post by OBI56 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:28 pm

Its all in how many you visit, how early you get there and how dumb the seller's wife is. No insult intended towards women here, just a fact of life that men who's wives force them to hold garage sales have no insight into what men find valuable (beyond beer, sex and sports) and they will do anything to get rid of anything that is of value to their husbands. So, look for places that have lots of sports stuff (baseball cards are for children), beer related items (those old German beer steins won't bring more than 5 cents each) or Playboy collections (You're married to me now, you don't need these anymore) for a higher chance of finding some decent stereo gear. Here on the forum, we seem to be blessed with an overabundance of exceptionally understanding women.

What Chazzer stumbled upon is truly a 1 in a thousand kind of find and luck does have something to do it, so maybe sticking a horseshoe up your butt when you go yard saleing might help!
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:52 pm

Sweet haul man !!

You are looking for another TFM-24 huh....
I posted one a few weeks ago... see if the guy still has it, and if he will ship.
If not, the members are usually wiling to do local pick-ups and ship for you,
just have to see if someone is local to the seller.

The 22's 24's and 42's are pretty rare, and don't come along that often..

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/630602572.html
Orange County CA.

http://eugene.craigslist.org/ele/610170941.html
Eugene, OR

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ele/618563515.html
Minneapolis, MN (TFM-22) not 24, look the same

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:43 pm

Faustus,

You need to think outside the box when it comes to vintage gear...

I've got some great gear in Goodwill stores, yard sales, auctions, and even "dumpster diving". In fact, the set of EPI bookshelves I got in college were picked up off the curb at a frat house--the tweeter domes had been pushed in and one of the woofers needed re-foamed. A quick search through the "Parts Express" catalog and about $40 later, I had what amounted to brand new EPI bookshelf speakers, and they sounded GREAT...

One man's trash is indeed another man's treasure. \:D/

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

Mr. M-500t
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by Mr. M-500t » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:12 pm

Sounds to me like we have a person with lots of foreknowledge on allot of different equipment. Always welcome in my book. 8)

Chazzer wrote:
treitz3 wrote:Welcome to the forum Chazzer! Don't let these folks fool you. They will instill OCCD upon you and once you get it, there is no turning back. My advice? Turn around and run for your life. Your wallet will thank you. Ok, just kidding [maybe not :-# ]. We have a great group of hooligans here and even a couple of ladies who all share a common bond. Stick around, gain some friends, gain some knowledge and see what it's like to be a part of such a wonderful group. :-& :D

BTW, how'd you hook up with service manuals? :-s
Hmmmm.....If you look at my sig you would see that I am allready fatally addicted. I have about 200 prs. of speakers ranging from the Minimus7's to AR91's to Maggie MGIIIa's to Dahlquist DQ-10's and DQ-20's to Sony APM 8's to Amazing Silvers to JBL Sudio Monitors. I have at least 50 receivers, tons of amps,preamps, processors, etc. etc. etc. The only line that I have not "sunk my teeth" into is McIntosh. I don't have the physical space to do them justice anyway. That is what I keep telling myself anyway :D

Ummmmm.... Service Manuals? I downloaded a manual for the ALS's from somewhere on the net but that is the only Carver manual I have. I do have all the owners manuals for what I have. Got them from the owner of all the gear. I pm'ed TFM75 about having an extra TFM-24 owners manual that I could donate since it is not on the list yet. I have a few more posts to go before I can access the"repository" here.
Thanks to all for the warm welcome:)
Chuck

faustus
M-400t CUBE

Post by faustus » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:52 pm

Dreamer wrote:Faustus,

You need to think outside the box when it comes to vintage gear...
Dreamer, no doubt you're right! Almost all of my vintage gear is stuff that I bought brand new way back when. My skills for sniffing out the trash/treasure have never been developed. Just for the fun of it, I might ask the wife to go to a yard sale this weekend -- there may be treasure for the taking!

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:24 pm

First rule of yard sales: Be first in line on SATURDAY morning, otherwise all the good stuff is gone. You got to be first, even if it means being there to help the guy carry the stuff out. Going to a yard sale on a Sunday afternoon is pointless unless it is to pick up something you bought the day before.

devnull
TFM-25

Post by devnull » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:17 pm

Chazzer wrote:The price was criminaly modest 8) I paid the gentleman $600.00 for the lot. Needless to say I was pleased and the owners wife was beside herself. He told me she had said that no one would be interested in "that big ole' bulky stereo stuff anymore" and should trash it!
Chuck
Actually, I've seen a number of those here that are always raggin' on the wife units and their negative influence on various members' (no, not those members, the forum participants) collections of equipment. Now we have here a positive story where some poor schmuck was forced to give up his "big ole' bulky stereo stuff" for the greater good of Carver Audio via a member.

It's karma I say.

mmnn...beer....
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." —Dean Martin

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:52 pm

Actually I'd say that the spousal units (we do have a couple of gals on here too) on this forum are particularly accomodating and even supportive of the Carver obsession, far more so than on any other forum I've seen. I mean, how many guys wives would forbid them from selling their cheirshed Carver amps or hubbies who would give their wives a C-1 as a surprize anniversary present???

devnull
TFM-25

Post by devnull » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:37 am

OBI56 wrote:Actually I'd say that the spousal units (we do have a couple of gals on here too) on this forum are particularly accomodating and even supportive of the Carver obsession, far more so than on any other forum I've seen. I mean, how many guys wives would forbid them from selling their cheirshed Carver amps or hubbies who would give their wives a C-1 as a surprize anniversary present???
Good point.

The surprise anniversary present cracked me up! I remember a comment once made to me by an SO, "There is NO way that stuff is going in the living room!" I waited until she had gone somewhere, rented a refrigerator mover and moved these various items in. After seeing how I had situated everything where it wasn't too terribly obtrusive, she acquiesced. I took a chance on that one.

Overall, no, I haven't seen a large number of complaints or even that many comments with regard to the spousal entities. That was a comment made in jest as much as anything else.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." —Dean Martin

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:04 am

Your comment might have been made in jest, but it is far too often the reality. You'll find a lot of surprizing things if you poke around on here.

PS: take a look at rolereversal's posts for info on the C-1 and other assorted adventures!

Return to “"The Welcome Mat"”