Introducing myself (perhaps again)

Just found us? Entering CarverAudio.com for the first time? Post your introductions here and say hi to all of the other Carver enthusiasts.
Reese
TFM-75

Introducing myself (perhaps again)

Post by Reese » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:54 am

Hello, from Santa Fe!
I came on here about three years ago after moving down here from California and my Amazing Loudspeakers developed an occasional buzz in the right speaker's bass. After much helpful coaching and suggestions from the guys here, I discovered the problem wasn't the woofers' surround foam or anything (luckily), just a loose crossover or other board that had dislodged from its moorings in the move! Easily fixed.

Anyway, I'm itching to perhaps acquire some more power to drive the ALS (Originals with a Platinum ribbon upgrade about 10 years ago).

I have adcom stereo components running things very nicely -- I like the MOSFET smoothness and warmth the adcom 5800 amp and the 565 preamp produce. The 5800 amp puts out 250 w/ch into 8 ohms, and progressively more into 4 and 2 (I don't have the specs at hand while writing this post); the preamp is very musical and smooth - the overall musical output from the ALS is stupendous! I love them. I'm looking at another adcom 5800 amp to pair up two of them, one per speaker, bridged I suppose, for some awesome power and control. There's an amp on e-bay I'm trackin now, could buy it now for about $880 plus shipping (it weighs about 60 pounds plus wrapping!)

My question for here: I'm not acquainted with the various amp models from Carver, other than when I bought my original Magnepan II B's (great planar sound, need more bass extension, but great presence and treatment of vocals) - I borrowed a Carver amp at the time to see if there was a big difference from the Kyocera 85w/ch (wayyyy conservative) receiver I was using -- and obviously also needed more power for the new ALS when I got them. I was NOT impressed with the dry sound the Carver put out, even if more powerful in amperage. I liked the Kyocera's high current and high wattage, but wanted even more -- hence I eventually got the adcom setup.

Back to my question: I can't audition Carver until I buy them on ebay any more....so to put out money for Silver 7 or Silver 9 without knowing what to expect is folly (even if I could find them). I'm looking at the M-1.5t for example _-- and if I were really impressed, I'd buy two and put one on each speaker. I don't know about the TFM 15, 24, and 25's specs and performance with the Platinums. These are all on ebay with end dates in a couple of days or more.
Nor the Starfire Amplifier 300 w which is currentlyon 3bay with a BIN price of $775.

Any feedback and recommendations from you folks? I like accurate and tight bass, warm "tubelike" sound, non-razorlike tops, if possible. For the time being I'd probably keep the adcom preamp in the line; maybe get a Carver preamp if you suggest one.

This is a great forum, providing many hours of catchup reading and education/entertainment!

Reese
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge

engtaz
"TAZ"

Re: Introducing myself (perhaps again)

Post by engtaz » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:48 am

Reese, Welcome back. Try staying awhile this time. :lol:

engtaz
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use

maddmaxxx
(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post by maddmaxxx » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:01 pm

-a big WELCOME BACK, mr reese \:D/

-when the woofs go they'll make a 'flapping' noise, you won't miss [no biggy to replace]

-i've only had the surrounds go... :-"

-i call your speaker plats but to most they are ALS originals 'upgraded' [x-over and 60" ribbon]

-sir daves [DaveS] and the sasquatch [Skip] bothe run blocks...sir daves has your spks

-mr ferrari had a pr of 7's FS...careful or ask a member before you buy from anyone here or on the eprey...we have no reason to steer you wrong [dbl check join dates or post counts !!!]

-see you around the Forum 8)
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro

Reese
TFM-75

Post by Reese » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:00 pm

thanks, I'm glad to be back! And of course I meant "Sunfire", not "Starfire" (a senior moment of blending Lightstar and Sunfire, I suppose).
#-o

edited to add: And yes, the speakers are actually the original ALS upgraded with Platinum ribbons and crossover.
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:43 pm

Welcome to the forum Reese! Or welcome back, shall I say.

You have a PM waiting fo' you.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:11 am

WELCOME, Reese! \:D/
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

stereo_dog
TFM-55

Post by stereo_dog » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:45 am

Welcome "back", Reese!!
(2) Silver Nine t's, TFM-4.0t, (4) M-500t, (2) M-1.0t, AV-705x, C-19, Sunfire TG-III, AL-III

Reese
TFM-75

Post by Reese » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:50 am

Thanks for the warm welcomes! It's a great group, entertaining, and educational -- what more could I wish for (unless it was a huge charitable donation to my cause of adding more Carver to the mix at my place!).

stereo_dog
TFM-55

Post by stereo_dog » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:07 am

Reese wrote:Thanks for the warm welcomes! It's a great group, entertaining, and educational -- what more could I wish for (unless it was a huge charitable donation to my cause of adding more Carver to the mix at my place!).
I think if that were true, there would be a looong line waiting for it. :lol: :lol: :lol: \:D/
(2) Silver Nine t's, TFM-4.0t, (4) M-500t, (2) M-1.0t, AV-705x, C-19, Sunfire TG-III, AL-III

tomstat
SILVER-7t

Post by tomstat » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:04 pm

Howdy!
ImageImage

Reese
TFM-75

Post by Reese » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:19 am

Well, I'm adding a pair of Silver 7t's to my stack (in place of the adcom GFA5800 amp) - thanks to the CarverAudio forum! I wanna hear them ALS's make wonderful noise, even more than they have been for about 13 years! \:D/ =D> :D

Reese
TFM-75

Post by Reese » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:48 am

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ :D :D :D

I got to 50 posts!!!!! Woo hoo, etc. Dang, it was the hardest thing for the last two or three! LOL

(Rubbing his hands with anticipation of the hidden secrets of the Forum being revealed at last....)

devnull
TFM-25

Post by devnull » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:39 pm

Reese wrote:\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ :D :D :D

I got to 50 posts!!!!! Woo hoo, etc. Dang, it was the hardest thing for the last two or three! LOL

(Rubbing his hands with anticipation of the hidden secrets of the Forum being revealed at last....)
Toymaker will have to teach you the secret handshake. I don't have 50 posts yet, so I don't know what it is.

Welcome to the forum, or back as you pointed out. Sounds like you're relatively familiar with it already.

John
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." —Dean Martin

erniejade1
TFM-35

Post by erniejade1 » Thu May 01, 2008 11:34 pm

welcome reese

dand only 38 coming up a few shy here lol

Return to “"The Welcome Mat"”