FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:44 am

PM-1200

<<

picky

Post Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:22 am

PM-1200

Hi to all you good people, I’m new, just registered and of course I need something!!

I have a PM-1200, first of all the amp kind of works, it produces good quality audio at what I assume is the sort of level the amp should produce, however it has a low level of buzzing at what sounds like around twice mains frequency, and it smells hot when running but cannot find out from where because this only happens with the lid on and speakers connected.

First of all the fans didn’t work, I cleaned them up and re-soldered some dry joints on some large caps on the PSU board, there were also some more bad joints on a couple of resistors which I re-soldered, however the beast is still the same, maybe its the caps themselves and just smoothing? Some kind soul out there may have a better idea! Any help welcome thanks Picky
<<

BobMcG

Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:54 pm

Welcome Picky.

This sounds like a proffesional model amp that may have been ridden hard and put away wet. (Used a great deal and not maintained.)
Are the fans working now? When you say you resoldered some "dry joints" on some large caps are you meaning they only had bad connections to the board or worse?

Do you plan on using it in a proffesional application (like in a PA system)?
Owner of five pieces of Carver equipment and former Carver Amazings owner.
<<

picky

Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:02 am

Hi thanks for coming back to me, this amp is part of a 3.5K PA rig I bought, the fans are now working, resoldering the caps got them working (once I had cleaned them!)

Yeah the amp has been used hard over the years but appears to work OKK apart from the buzz, any more help welcome!

Return to "The Welcome Mat"