Sunfire True Subwoofer Architectural Signature

Sunfire Speaker Discussions and Questions
js_specials

Sunfire True Subwoofer Architectural Signature

Post by js_specials » Thu May 13, 2010 2:05 am

It has a constant ground hum, even when nothing is plugged into it, and it does not shut off. I tried placing it on the same surge protector as the C1000A. I also tried placing it on a power conditioner, all with no luck. Any thoughts?

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Re: Sunfire True Subwoofer Architectural Signature

Post by TNRabbit » Thu May 13, 2010 9:00 am

BillD had a similar problem & found one of the nuts that holds the RCA connectors inside the amp was loose. Those produce astounding vibrations within the cabinet; it's a good idea to tighten everything down periodically.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Thu May 13, 2010 10:15 am

And try ground busting it (use a 3 to 2 prong adapter).
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

js_specials

Post by js_specials » Thu May 13, 2010 9:51 pm

Thanks for the replies. Everything appears to be snug. The 2x3 adaptor decreased the hum a little, but not by much. Any other things I can try? Thanks.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Fri May 14, 2010 10:58 am

If you have any external knobs on that thing, take them off and tighten the set screws on the pots beneath the knobs, even if they seem snug. Oxidation can make them lose ground.

beerbudgetFi

Post by beerbudgetFi » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:59 pm

This problem happened to me years ago. The culprit was loose ground wire inside the wall outlet box. Shut off the power from breaker panel and check the wiring. Cable TV could also cause this problem get a ground isolator. I got mine from Radio Shack.
3 Carver TFM35X, Sunfire TruSubwoofer, Magnepan 1.5, Magnepan MMG, Paradigm Monitor speakers, Technics SL-D2, Pioneer Turntable PL-518, Sony Playstation3 blu-ray player, Grado SR60 headphones, Onkyo TSR-805 functions as pre-amp, garden variety interconnects but not cheap and a set of ear.

Scarabeo
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Scarabeo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:50 pm

BillD wrote:And try ground busting it (use a 3 to 2 prong adapter).
My Sub a sig 2700 12inch is giving me this hum? Also it works at times fine but then not at all other then the hum. I will look at it later and tighten everything down but what is ground busting it? Any other ideas? THANKS for any thoughts.
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:32 pm

When you remove the plate amp to snug everything down take a look at all the caps-- check for dome shaped tops (bulging) also put your finger on the tops of them and very lightly wobble back and forth. The caps shouldn't move under light pressure. There's an awful lot of vibration and pressure inside those cabinets, enough to break loose solder joints. Rita told me that a lot of times when she goes to remove caps on those plate amps, after she de-solders one of the two prongs, the cap just falls off due to the other side being broken. Hope that helps, good luck!
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

Scarabeo
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Scarabeo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:19 am

Well I got the plate off and everything looks new! Everything is tight (BUT) even after un-plugging it and some time I still took two big shocks :? I mean I got zapped~~~~~How is there still so much electricity in there? anything else I should do? Caps look OK and all the wiring is good and holding - is this a ground issue? any thoughts? is it that I am sniffing Glue? Thanks for any ideas :D

I need this sub working soon it helps keep my Heart beating :lol:
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:56 am

You need to make those nuts on the pots TIGHT. I just had to re-do mine because after a couple of years, they had loosened up enough (but were still snug) to leak ground. IIRC, I use a 10mm wrench on the nuts.

BTW, those caps will hold a charge for a long time. You can use that as defrib unit.

Scarabeo
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Scarabeo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:35 pm

BillD wrote: You can use that as defrib unit.
oh yes, my electric Guitar never gave me that much shock! THANKS billD!!!

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:56 pm

It could be just a simple ground loop hum. You might try using an adapter that changes your plug from three prongs to 2 prongs. I think you can buy them at the dollar store, not very expensive and some times will kill that dreaded hummmm. :D
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

Scarabeo
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Scarabeo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:23 pm

BillD wrote:You need to make those nuts on the pots TIGHT. I just had to re-do mine because after a couple of years, they had loosened up enough (but were still snug) to leak ground.
=D> =D> =D> THANKS BillD!!! Fixed Hum and everything and 100% as you stated \:D/
Thanks Jesse too! No Hum now :D

phiba

Post by phiba » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:52 pm

New here. Came across this excellent forum while searching for a cure for my humming True Subwoofer. So Scarabeo, what do you think solved the problem, tightening the nuts on the potentiometers, or was it maybe something else?

Mine has had an intermittent hum problem almost since new. For awhile, it seemed I could control the problem by using a groundless AC plug and reversing the polarity. Then I added a 1kW isolation transformer and ran it that way for several years. Now the hum starts after the sub hasn't received a low signal for awhile, and I can only fix it by unplugging and replugging the AC power a few times. Then it usually stays quiet as long as there is a good signal, but comes back if things stay quiet or no low frequencies for awhile.

Back when it was still under warranty, I did send it back to Sunfire for this problem and because auto-off happened too quickly. Supposedly they fixed the problems and installed an upgrade at the same time.

Glad to find this online support group for Bob Carver's designs. I'm going to open mine up, have a look for loose solder connections, bad caps, and tighten up those potentiometers.

Cheers.
Sunfire amp
True Subwoofer

Scarabeo
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Scarabeo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:21 pm

phiba wrote:New here. Came across this excellent forum while searching for a cure for my humming True Subwoofer. So Scarabeo, what do you think solved the problem, tightening the nuts on the potentiometers, or was it maybe something else?

Cheers.
Hello Phiba and WELCOME! All I did was tighten the nuts on the potentiometers and that fix the problem for me completely \:D/

It fixed any noise I had plus it would work and not work but now its Like new - Works every time and noise free :D Hope that is all it takes for you and its the easiest fix ever. Good Luck!

Return to “Sunfire Speakers”