An Olddogs impressions of the Oppo BD83

Reviews for Equipment other than Carver / Sunfire
oldtexasdog
M-400t CUBE

An Olddogs impressions of the Oppo BD83

Post by oldtexasdog » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:56 pm

I bought one of these Oppo’s as a X-Mas gift to my self along with a new 58” Samsung PN58B650 Plasma TV. I have, I feel, a good surround and music system set up as I have been doing that shopping for some time now, as anyone that has followed my post on this forum knows. I tried for the early adopter program for the OPPO but all they offered me was an early purchase at a discount, which I turned down at the time. I have followed all threads since on this product and that was what led me to my current purchase of it.
The unit arrived in a timely manner from OPPO.
The Quality of packing was outstanding! The materials used were the same as if I had ordered a high quality optic gun sight. I recommend keeping this box period!
The power cord and the HDMI cord included I found were far above the quality that one would find included in any other product of this kind. (I have tried the up graded power and speaker cable rout and personally found it lacking as far as a “bang for the buck”) in any sonic difference. Nuf said.
The set up was very easy. However there are more options than you can shake a stick at if you want to play with them.
The two disk that came with it (Spears and Munsil HD Benchmark, and AIX Records Audio Calibration Disk and Music Sampler were nice. I found the Spears and Munsil a real quality enhancement to my purchase, as I used it to do a basic calibration of my new TV. The AIX however was a so-so as I already had Audesy on my Denon. The music tracks were nice though.
I was tickled pink to see my Denon 2808CI reflect the sound codex and display it accordingly when I installed a disk, as I had been using a Sony PS3.
The OPPO loads as good if not faster than the PS3 on BP disk (Walt Disney G-Force 20 sec.)
In BP I do not notice that much difference from the Sony PS3 in Pic Quality (as I said I am just a reg Joe}
Using it to run SCAD or other CD music disk was nice but again I did not notice any real gain in sound field or sonic quality from my existing system. (Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon SCAD) Janis Joplin Cheap Thrills SCAD). No worse no better.
With my old DVD collection though including many I have burned myself on DL-DVD it shined. Showed no hesitation with anything I threw at it! No flags on the dual layer DVD’s and upscaled them perfectly as far as my old eyes could tell to right at BP QUALITY!! Brought the sound through perfect also! Some of my collection is over 10 years old and I Have Never Seen Them Look so GOOD!
I had been running the PS3 through a 60” DLP 1080p Samsung unit 2 years old so it was not the new TV.
It’s a KEEPER in my opinion and I would recommend it to anyone! It just does everything GREAT maybe not better than something that you have that’s outstanding for a dedicated uses but Great non-the less.
The DAC’S on the Denon are outstanding in my humble opinion.
I think many BP units will look as good on BP media, but if you have a legacey collection that you want to view in near BP quality this unit will do the upscale and not miss a beat. Also it is nice to have a transport to throw in that occasional CD, and have it play top notch, as a one off, that you don't want the hassel of inputting into your collection

Hope this helps anyone looking to make this a purchase.
There are two holes in Daddy's head where all the money goes.

helicopterpilotdoug
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Re: An Olddogs impressions of the Oppo BD83

Post by helicopterpilotdoug » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:39 am

I also have the OPPO BDP 83, with the SE upgrade. This IMHO is a outstanding player for anything you throw at it. Listening to CD's, using the stereo outputs on the 83SE is a whole new experience, compared to my Sony CDP. I also highly recommend the OPPO. Now of course they are coming out with a new player! ](*,)
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com

oldtexasdog
M-400t CUBE

Post by oldtexasdog » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:31 am

I think this one may have gotten too expensive to produce in it's current form. I heard that for one they can't get the Sony tray anymore. A lot of Mfg. did there own copies and re-branding at a lot higher price also.
There are two holes in Daddy's head where all the money goes.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:49 am

I have both the 8 channel and the two channel connected to my TGP-III. If you have stereo-only software, I think the two-channel output renders it better.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:31 pm

For not much more money, you can hook a dedicated computer to these new TVs with HDMI and improve over all that.
Too be honest, these days excellent movie servers are coming out (wireless) for under $150.

For $500 you can hook in a tiny wired computer that can do whatever you need with excellent results, including pulling up media from all your computers, and also let you play on the web in the PIP box.
I see no need to buy any of the things you guys have posted above - makes no sense.

Here is an excellent article on it by my favorite guy:

http://I'm a Fucking Asshole.typepad.com/I'm a Fucking Asshole/2010/11/htpc.html

Scarabeo
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Scarabeo » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:14 pm

OconeeOrange wrote: Here is an excellent article on it by my favorite guy:

http://I'm a Fucking Asshole.typepad.com/I'm a Fucking Asshole/2010/11/htpc.html
I clicked on the "BIRDS" link but found no Blow up Doll Bird feeders???
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...

OCCD

Post by OCCD » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:39 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:.

Here is an excellent article on it by my favorite guy:

:^o
Give me a "Fist" full of coins and I'll save it for Carver gear!!!

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:47 pm

So Scarabeo,
is your plan to use your OCCD alias to spam the site now ---

You need to get a life. I am old and crippled to this chair, but you could do better.

That was a fun article though -- =D>

Return to “Reviews for Equipment other than Carver / Sunfire”