Klipsch Forte Speakers

Reviews for Equipment other than Carver / Sunfire
Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Klipsch Forte Speakers

Post by Magnaryder » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:10 pm

As regular viewers recall I purchased a set of Klipsch Forte speakers from Tom at Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh about 5 weeks ago. I've done a bit of research on the speakers over at the klipsch Community and some other places of note. There are a slew of mods for the entire line of Klipsch Heritage speakers, guys building and modding cabinets x-overs and even building drivers, titanium diaphragms, wooden horns and plain upgrading the old Heritage line parts.

Below is a bit of an excerpt from Al Klappenberger. Al is a crossover genious and has worked on most of the Klipsch line and has garnered a rep of being a thorough technician. It seems he is without peer if upgraded crossover networks are involved. I am a huge fan of his methodology.

<<The frequency response is very impressive. It goes from below 30 Hz to 20Khz with a nominal sensitivity of 95 db SPL at 1 meter for 2.83V input. That would be 1W into 8 Ohms except that it is NOT 8 Ohms! The impedance is all over the place because of the usual cut-every-corner you can "balancing network" Klipsch put in all the heritage speakers! The impedance comes to a peak of 106 Ohms at 2150 Hz. At 950 Hz it looks to the amp like a 7.19 Ohm resistor in series with a 3 mHy inductor. At 5150 Hz it resembles 5.09 Ohms in series with a 1.68 uFd capacitor. Then at 14.5 Khz it's more like 9.28 Ohms in series with 2.59 uFd. This is all the result of the network. The individual drivers provide much more reasonable loads.

Al K.>>

Imagine how they will sound with a 'correct' x-over!!! I was expecting them to sound a little harsh but NO they don't....at least on my 20s. I did manage to get a hard 'S' out of them but it was one very old LP and might be attributed to my POS TT/Cart combination.

I love the sound of these speakers when I play my little Carver 20watt tube amps through them. I found them to sound just like I want my music to sound. I'm going to buy Al's crossover network and see how that goes but if they sound as good to me as other have found them, it should be a winning combination. I hope the new components bring a little more depth to the soundfield(of a 25 yr old speaker) as it seems to me the drums on some selections are right up against the back of the singer(s). I'd like to see a bit more depth there.

As far as sheer listenability goes, for the price of admission these speakers rock. They do very little wrong and a whole lot right. I'm surprised more of you don't own them

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Klipsch Forte Speakers

Post by jjptkd » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:27 pm

I've been on the Klipsch bandwagon for years, absolutely love them. \:D/ \:D/ I went with Bob Crites crossovers for my Chorus II's and have no regrets, the speakers just seemed to have disappeared into the background. :D :D I've owned and compared the Sunfire ribbons (CRM-2's & CRS-3's) AL-III's and the Silvers and at best some would sound better with certain music but not all music. In my opinion the Chorus II's were at least as good in most situations. They play WAY louder and require very little power to produce excellent sound but will take whatever you throw at them. 8) 8)
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:02 am

I read just about everything about the x-overs on the Klipsch forum and the difference (as it appears to me) is that Mr. Crites is more of a purist and is bringing an updated version of the original x-over Dr.Klipsch designed, whereas Mr. Klappenberger examines the speaker from a scientific standpoint(much like I do establishing a baseline in a repeatable experiment-engine dyno- before I begin engine tuning on my motorcycles) then utilizes the tools he has at hand to produce his product. The Klipsch folks are really lucky to have these 2 guys around, they are a wealth of information. Not to mention they're producing some new products. I think I might try their 'Cornscala' project when I finish the other things on my plate.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:34 am

I found this article to be interesting:

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/MLS/MLS3.html
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

rah
M-400t CUBE

Post by rah » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:47 am

Magnaryder wrote:As far as sheer listenability goes, for the price of admission these speakers rock. They do very little wrong and a whole lot right. I'm surprised more of you don't own them

ray
I own the Chorus II's also, the big brother to the Fortes.

Unlike jjptkd's, mine are totally stock, haven't had the desire to do anything to them.
My office (and only) system:
Sunfire Ultimate Receiver (thanks jjptkd!)
Sunfire Theater Grand Processor (with original remote!)
Carver TD-1770
Klipsch Chorus II's
Sony CA70ES 5-disc changer
Sony SACD 5-disc changer

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:53 am

Other mods to consider besides the crossovers are the titanium mid and tweeter upgrades. That's all klipsch uses now in their new heritage line speakers and it really smooths out the sound. I tested this again with the Forte II's I picked up recently in front of a hand full of people, switched one out then stood back and cranked 'em up. The difference was VERY noticeable in that the stock speaker got much "brighter" at higher volumes where the titanium stayed balanced and smooth.
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:21 am

Couple of links for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Diaphragm-K ... 564bad8e7a Crites titanium tweeters

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-K-71-72 ... 4601f6c846 Factory Klipsch titanium tweeters

Looks like you'd have to call Klipsch for the mids. The guy selling the factory klipsch tweeters on eBay also had the mids but I can't find them.
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

reummisioli

door coupe for the dressing room - interior doors coupe

Post by reummisioli » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:04 pm

No I certainly do not understand the author, but it was no less interesting. thank you!

Return to “Reviews for Equipment other than Carver / Sunfire”