Reviews for Equipment other than Carver / Sunfire
Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Schiit Audio Yggdrasil closed form multibit balanced DAc

Post by Magnaryder » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:58 pm

Associated Equipment

E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier
Fosgate Signature Phono pre
Rega P3,SME 3009 typeIII arm/Ariston RD-40, Linn Basik arm/Grado Statement Master1 cart
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC
Tascam CC-222MKII CD/Cassette Recorder/AMD 9590 based PC/Gigabyte 990-UD5MB/2X Asus R9 290 vid cards/3X Samsung 240 GB SSD drives/32 Gb Corsair Vengence 2400mhz RAM /Corsair H100 h2o cooling system/NZXT white Phantom case.
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo loudspeakers

From the Schiit Website:

Yggdrasil is the ultimate DAC-for Schiit, and maybe for anyone. Compare it to anything at any price.

The Skinny:

Schiit claims(and most reviews bear out)it WILL showcase any weakness in upstream and downstream components including media. Well, they are correct. I put several of my fav CDs in and some of them sound horrible, like MP3s. Now other reviews I've read over the last year had made note of components not mustering up but CDs? Hmmm. I went through my collection and tried some others I thought make the cut. I've had Yggddrasil up and running since it arrived Thursday. Schitt says to never shut it off. Ok, no worries. Yggdrasil can't drain the coffers anywhere near as fast as leaving my gaggle of Lightstar amplifiers on year round. Thursday after the DAC warmed up for several hours I took it for a test spin. I brought some tasty treats from the likes of War, the Moody Blues and Dian Schuur to the party. If you haven't heard the Blues' tune 'Haunted' the Holograms had it spread more than 180 degrees around me Dian Shuur and Count Basie is one of my reference discs because its one of the finest recordings I've played in my system. Front to back a damn fine recording. Since the girls have been vacationing I've had many chances to give a listen to the Likes of Donald Fagan, The Doobie Brothers, Return to Forever, UFO, UK, Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush and the Indigo Girls. On every selection I'm hearing subtleties in the music that I haven't heard before. Now before you think its just me trying to justify the purchase I noted where these things were occurring and going back and playing them without the Yggdrasil in the mix. Nope not there. Now the discs sound great and I really wouldn't have noticed but no place I've been with any of the discs has resolved music to this level. Now some of this credit will have to go to the Spatial Audio Hologram M3s. But still many of these nuances aren't there when using the Tascam alone.

I've seen it written you have not heard Red Book until you've heard it played through Yggdrasil. My experience leads me to believe there is truth there.

More to come as time goes on.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

hewlew1
"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Re: Schiit Audio Yggdrasil closed form multibit balanced DAc

Post by hewlew1 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:42 pm

No time left Ray get them puppies packed!
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by frenchguy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:40 am

Yeah Ray, time to get your schiit together!! :lol:
Carver Silver 7t mono blocks, Carver M-4.0t & 2 tfm 42,s. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t,TX11 tuner, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Dared MP-5BT Integrated vacuum tube amp, 2 sets of Carver Amazing Silver speakers, oak & black. Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Post by Miko1971 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:03 am

I think as time goes on and we see more attention/dollars directed towards DAC's, formats like CD can be fully exploited.
It's rather tragic and shameful that we've seen now in the last 20+ years countless formats with attorney loving "copy protection" schemes.. divx comes to mind as the most egregious example thus far.

I think a lot of this has to do with the convergence of computers as a source for playback. I was there as I'm sure many of you were also when CD's debuted. I remember going to the record store and there was a display on a table with 3 small fish tanks filled with water, dirt and peanut butter and jelly.

The guy would take a CD, dunk it in the PB&J, then take it and dunk it in the dirt. Pull it out and show everyone how nasty that was.. Then toss it in the water, shake shake rinse and pop it in the player and music.. Constant and repeatable music.
You could throw it on the floor, step on it pick it up press play.

For us raised on records we were witnessing something unholy and sacrilege against our beloved records. The rest is history..
It's not surprising that a former computer code writing nerd par excellence Ted Smith, developed a ground breaking DAC in P.S.Audio's DS DSD using a Field Programmable Gate Array.

They also claim to decode CD's better then before..now we are on the path towards file/computer based media.. The prospects of DSD, DXD now starting to make progress. It's Sony/Phillips who hobbled us with CD's and a crappy playback protocol. Then, in true money grabbing fashion SACD comes out and we are supposed to run out and buy everything (again) because this is "better" no wonder records are becoming popular again.

CD's are just now starting to be played back with the kind of resolution we were promised decades ago.
As Ray pointed out, the glass wall is not our playback devices and systems anymore. It's ham fisted engineers mixing up a witches brew of shitty recordings. Some early Metallica and Van Halen come to mind. It's truly exciting times for us and I'm eager to see what the next 20 years offers up.

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:50 am

Correct Miko, it's only been for the last several years CD could reach its potential. Memory capability and speed have just reached the ability to handle buffer and oversample duties as laid out in RedBook. The first commercially available CD players were only capable of 11-12 bits of resolution. Moffat's DACs at Theta set the ball rolling for stand-alone pieces that have set the new standard for playback.

Yggdrasil has shown me enjoyment I've been missing from my CD collection. In the beginning I subscribed to CD Review magazine in which the consumer was promised through coding on each CD(AAD/ADD/DDD) which CDs had the best sound. Little did we know at the time that the consumer was being sold a bill of goods, sorta like Blu-ray was 10 years ago. Thanks Keifer ](*,)

I read somewhere one reviewer claimed LP only required 12 bits of resolution based on its given dynamic range. We all know tha just isn't the case. Dr. Shockley postulated 512k/64 bits 'might' come close. Sadly, its ideas like these that not only delay improvement but confuse the everyday buyer of hifi and turn them off to the purchase of better products. Don't get me started on MP3, although MP3 and Apple are responsible for HQ downloads simpy because their quality was so bad to start with.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Post by Miko1971 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:17 pm

MP3 is like 8 track to us.. It makes noise yes... One of the biggest advancements that I forgot to mention, and I think you hit upon it too was/is the price of memory has dropped dramatically.

People now regularly talk about terabytes of storage. Do you remember when 512mb was considered awe inspiring?

Crazy storage capability and ssd plus durable storage media is what we needed to deliver this level of resolution.

I'm working on a home brew media server now.

Although I still want a UHA-HQ R2R... A big part of my enjoyment is watching gizmos whirl around, the click clack of stuff doing things to make music. It's a human interaction thing..

I don't get that with today's digital gear..

Just like when I was a kid looking at a rack of shit I had damn idea what any of it was with all those switches and knobs etc.. My dad would do his thing to clean the record and we waited and waited then bam!! Music!!

Maybe I'm just feeling nostalgic, but on some deep tribal level.. The ritual of creating music matters.

packratt
M-400t CUBE

Post by packratt » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:07 pm

[quote="Miko1971"]MP3 is like 8 track to us.. It makes noise yes... One of the biggest advancements that I forgot to mention, and I think you hit upon it too was/is the price of memory has dropped dramatically.

People now regularly talk about terabytes of storage. Do you remember when 512mb was considered awe inspiring?

[/quote]

I remember when 40mb was a huge hard drive.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:21 pm

I have been onboard with digital computer audio for ???
I have built a few and have a good one.

I do not believe any digital audio player can match a computer for guys who are computer literate as things have changed very quickly over even even the last 5 years.

All play back from digital even a $20 Walmart CD payer is a small computer. Most ignore that fact.
The expensive ones ($$$$$) are just computers. You pay for things which are not better sound.
Any intelligent guy can learn computer.

In all digital playback, it begins with soft ware.
I have experimented with many paid for and free.
Bells and WTF might be worth more $$$ but the best sound is there these days for free.
I have a ton of high bit and high sample rate that would not play on some high end players due to software. On the computer - no big deal.

As to 'best' sound, nothing digital can match a computer set up for audio. That is due to the fact all digital players are computers. The difference is you can fuck with yours till the cows come home.

Drive space is so cheap now it is a joke. I have more LPs and more CDs than most as I am old. Comparing digital to analog is fun, but CDs and downloads are 100%% digital. A CD does not sound different from a rip or download at the same rate. That is not possible.

The big deal years back was constantly improving DACs. The improvment was almost week-to-week.
This is the deal that kills all older (and newer) all-in-one players.
Make no mistake, if a tune sounds good today, it will still sound good when a new decoder is released.
Still, the gorilla in the room has been DAC. The quality improves and the prices drop.

Too that end, use computer as player and use an external DAC. You guys with incredible sound cards are a joke as to music.

The deal with computer audio is turn off all internal sound.
Install a SSD so you do not need a fan, but WTF? I am not sure that matters.

The work is done in your external DAC. Don't be misled by the snake oil guys.

The job of the digital player and DAC is to turn digital into analog.

At that point, all the old rules apply.
Is this 'player' or 'DAC' the 'weak link' in your audio chain?

To hear the slight differences we search for requires ???? an excellent 'SYSTEM'.
I giggle when an expert talks as too "night and day" as to this or that.

A well set up computer and a decent DAC will not be that link as to digital play.

Spent your $$ on better speakers.

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:05 pm

What? What? No update? Guess it musta blownd up or sumpin.
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:35 pm

No time to write....too busy listening. and the listening is FANFREEKINGTASTIC!!!!

ray
Magnaryder

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:06 pm

Magnaryder wrote:No time to write....too busy listening. and the listening is FANFREEKINGTASTIC!!!!

ray
Thanks for the extensive update Ray.
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:58 am

radioeng2 wrote:
Magnaryder wrote:No time to write....too busy listening. and the listening is FANFREEKINGTASTIC!!!!

ray
Thanks for the extensive update Ray.
Anything for you Markie :lol:

ray
Magnaryder

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:31 pm

Yggdrasil is exceptional at letting you hear low level detail I've not been able to hear until now

ray
Magnaryder

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:23 am

Well after several more months of listening to Yggdrasil fronted by my AMD pc, the Tascam, and my plasma tv I can't understand how I got along before adding it to the V20 rig. I'm running it as the control center for everything digital. The pc runs on the USB input, Tascam on the s/pdif rca and the tv thru the optical all switched from the front panel of Yggdrasil. Of course I shut down all digital sources while playing analogue.

Previous reviews had mentioned how good redbook is thru Yggdrasil. They're not kidding. Low level content comes through like never before. Very similar to REALLY good analogue but without some of the bloom I get from my analogue rig. Serious listening and comparing redbook to LP has led me to a couple of conclusions that have been brought up in those prior reviews. Yggdrasil resolves redbook without much of the 'air' around individual instruments and voices. While you can hear the room the 'air' is less obvious. Now that is probably because Yggdrasil keeps the original samples instead of chucking them in the dumpster like most other DACs. The approximation created by other(delta-sigma)DACS might contribute the air heard when listening. Keeping the original samples result in a more accurate portrayal of the music....at least from where I sit. I'd venture Yggdrasil portrayal is far more accurate than any other DAc to which I've listened.

Tonality is superior to my other digital sources I've discovered. Attack and decay of sound is different also leading me to believe my other sources 'romanticize' the music. While I enjoy my other sources I believe I'm closer to the music with Yggdrasil. As like others I'll attribute that to Yggdrasil's closed-form filter and Schiit's Adapticlock.

more to come as time goes on....maybe another Yggdrasil owner will chime in with his thoughts

ray
Magnaryder

Return to “Reviews for Equipment other than Carver / Sunfire”