Informative review on Resolution Reference speaker cables

Reviews for Equipment other than Carver / Sunfire
Rainman
SILVER-7t

Informative review on Resolution Reference speaker cables

Post by Rainman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:07 am

With the recent discussions as well as several forum members finding good deals and purchasing these or similar cables I figured I should post this review for those of you who are still shopping or just curious. I found this on 10audio.com and found it to be IMO quite accurate and informative. I can say that these cables do pretty much what the review says they do. This is especially true if you have gear that is very revealing or is capable of doing so. In our case it is well known that the speakers we have can be super revealing when you feed them properly. It was still a jaw dropping experience when we replaced our $hit/marginal pair of cables with these! it became instantly apparent that we were indeed missing a great deal of what was actually in the recordings we had been listening to! Those forum members who have recently bought/stole these will most likely be chiming in with their $.02 and opinions in the near future. Happy reading! Sincerely,
Rainman

http://www.10audio.com/psaud_xstream_ref.htm
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Re: Informative review on Resolution Reference speaker cables

Post by Dreamer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:09 am

I don't want to come across as one of those "wire iz wire" guy, but there is something that PS Audio has been pushing in their adverts lately that just gets my goat every time I read it. This whole bit about "Pure Copper by Ohno Continuous Casting" is just pure marketing hype, especially if you don't know a lot about metalurgy or modern industrial processes...

Almost ALL copper wire made in "first world" locations is made using the "Ohno Continuous Casting" process. This is not some sort of esoteric audiophile-exclusive proprietary wire-making technology. It is how wire is made, when it is made in any modern industrialized nation. So unless you're talking about wire sourced from China, India, or some Third-world nation, it's ALL "OCC", because in the West (USA, Canada, Germany, etc) that is the kind of smelters and casters that copper wire-making factories in the "west" operate.

And almost ALL wire made in "first world" factories is at the minimum "four-nines", and much of it is "six nines". This isn't because copper wire makers are concerned with having some sort of esoteric micro-crytaline purity in their ROMEX, it's because the OCC process, by it's very nature, burns off most of the impurities and evacuates most of the oxygen and oxides in smelting copper, and the metal mixture going into the smelters is very precisely controlled, so that it is easy to form, and doesn't break when you draw it out in long spools.

In less modern (Third World and commie) countries, they use older smelting and casting technologies, and have far lesser concern for the purity, reliability, and uniformity of their wire products.

You gotta know your tech in this hobby, because a LOT of the stuff that manufacturers throw out there as some sort of esoteric virtue for their products that are in fact, fundamental processes that are available to EVERYONE as OEM products.

With a LOT of products in the "high-end", those extra digits to the left of the decimal point are more often for marketing costs than high technology or production costs.

All that said, these cables ARE very good, at least from what I've heard. But their hype is just a little annoying...
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

Rainman
SILVER-7t

Post by Rainman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:31 am

Dreamer, I am quite sure that you can not be one of those "wire iz wire" guys because you do not "roll your turds into little balls and eat crayons" like most of them do. :D
I was turned on to the PS stuff a few years back by a close friend who said that their cables were among the highest quality as well as they would perform as though they were 2x or 3x the cost. Since he's the friend who is an electrical engineer and has most all of the degrees offered on electricity including cable theory.... I took his advice and asked questions later. I can honestly say that all of the PS products I have tried, owned, or seen has worked "as advertised."
I can however see what you mean about the hype, but this is to be expected when people like myself, Rabbit, Dyeraudio, Toymaker and many others are able to buy a pair of their speaker cables for $100 and upon listening find out they are worth waay more than that. I can't even go to Best Buy and purchase some super shit Monster cables for that price and look what we have instead....
As far as the manufacturing process regarding the grains and crystalline claims I have wondered myself, but not to worry we can get the truth on this too. I have worked for a race team for many years that one of their drivers just happens to be a metallurgical engineer. He has done everything from making F-18 parts to showing me how to tig weld the foil that comes in a pack of cigarettes without burning it. I will inquire with him for an answer and if need be I will bring one of my cables in to his office so he can look at it with the electron microscope. How's that sound? That should get to the bottom of the crystal topic.
In the meantime you might consider contacting Toymaker and have him send you his spare pair of PS cables to try for yourself. That way you can form your own performance profile on them. You will most likely be impressed like 99 out of 100 are, or who knows you might end up quoting Eric Cartman: "Ah it's all a bunch of tree huggin' hippie crap".......
Besides I have had a really good time learning about this stuff from the knowledgeable sources I can go with questions!!!!

Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:34 am

ya know — if we're talking about marketing hype, we really don't have to look very far from our equipment manufacturer of choice, do we?
Last edited by BillD on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:15 am

Got my new toys today; PS Audio Preludes in 4 meter length:

Got 'em on Club Polk for only $100.00!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:36 pm

Oh, no, Rainman, don't get me wrong. I HAVE heard the PS Audio cables, and I AM impressed. They are very fine cables--able to hold their own, IMO with the "big boys" like Transparent, MIT, and Synergistic Labs. PS Audio DEFINITELY makes quality gear--no doubt about that. IT's just the whole "OCC" thing that gets me riled up...

And you gotta remember that a large part of the cost (and great performance) of these esoteric cables is not so much materials as it is wire topology. As you can see from the pic that TNRabbit posted, these PS Audio cables have a pretty exotic topology--a stranded core wrapped with multiple insulated strands. That's gotta take some pretty customized industrial equipment to manufacture--it's not like you can buy wire like that off the spool at Home Depot... ;)

But you are also correct about "homebrew" cables. Many of us (me included) have, after becoming disillusioned with the exorbitant prices of esoteric cables, grabbed spools of raw wire, soldering irons and crimpers, and tried our hands at making cables ourselvses. I know that at least in my system, some of my cables have been surprisingly good, and some have been dismal failures. The cables that sound like crap in my rig might actually sound heavenly with someone else's. Resistance, capacitance, and inductance of cables all work together synergistically with amps and speakers to create very different sonic profiles when different gear is concerned...

If I could get my hands on some of these, I'd love to try them. But inthe meantime, I've got other more pressing projects--finishing up my own homebrew AntiCables (been working on that one for what, 10 months?...), rebuilding my QRK turntables, and trying to get all our household crap unboxed, sorted, and stowed in some place more appropriate than our garage... ](*,)

Maybe we should set up some sort of cable swap. I'd gladly send my Nordosts to someone to try for a few weeks, in return for some other cables of similar quality... :-k

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

Rainman
SILVER-7t

Post by Rainman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:40 pm

See now we are having fun with this topic! It's nice to discuss things like this when there are others participating who are open minded about the topic as well as being willing to try stuff out for themselves or have already tried it. I will assure you that if I was trying most of the "good" cables I have tried on my old Polk RT speakers I would definitely not be a believer in having "good" cables. I would probably not have been able to notice much change if any between different cables because my Polks would not have been able to show me very much beyond what our "$hit" cables could send them. This would have caused me to remain in the "closed minded" group and I would have had the problems trying to tell you the Realistic cables I got from Radio Shack sound no different than your Nordosts or PS cables! Not because there was no difference in our cables, but rather because I truly was unable to hear differences due to limitations in the rest of my system!(I hope that makes sense!) Then I would assume that you were a "Fuktard" and you would assume that I "Roll my turds into little balls and eat crayons" and the fun's over..... Instead I would be more than happy to swap you cables for a week or two.. we can work out the details later.
I am going to get to the bottom of the whole "occ" mystery! I am going to see my metallurgical engineer friend as soon as possible and I am sure we can get a straight answer from him and Jeff my "cables guy!"
It has also been suggested to me to ask everyone if they would like my friend Jeff (the one with the cable degree) to come to Carverfest for a day or two and have a "Cables & Power" question and answer session for everyone to share. I guarantee we could all learn from a session with Mr. Carver and Jeff sitting up front answering questions! Everyone would really like talking with Jeff because he has a unique ability to talk with people and answer questions in "real world" terms using everyday words and examples that you can actually understand. Let me know what you think?

Rainman

Jag_97470
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Jag_97470 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:58 pm

That is a cool idea Rainman, and I think you are correct explaining "why" some people say cables are cables. I think having components that limit your system or don't add any potential to the overall music, changing cables to a high end cable might be disappointing. thinking, crap! I payed a ton for these cables and it sounds the same! I think if you have excellent speakers and excellent cables, you will hear differences changing components.

Rainman
SILVER-7t

Post by Rainman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:05 pm

Jag_97470 wrote:That is a cool idea Rainman, and I think you are correct explaining "why" some people say cables are cables. I think having components that limit your system or don't add any potential to the overall music, changing cables to a high end cable might be disappointing. thinking, crap! I payed a ton for these cables and it sounds the same! I think if you have excellent speakers and excellent cables, you will hear differences changing components.

Super Cool! I think I finally figured out the right way to explain it!!! The way I heard it originally was something like this.."Think about it like it's a turd, you can wash the turd, you can dry the turd, you can even polish the turd, BUT IT'S STILL A TURD! So whatever you put in it or take out of it will look and smell like the turd. ](*,)
So I held mine in long enough and eventually $hit the diamonds that we are currently listening to! =D> =D> =D> :D (more style points?)

Rainman

Jag_97470
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Jag_97470 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:44 pm

Rainman wrote:
Jag_97470 wrote:That is a cool idea Rainman, and I think you are correct explaining "why" some people say cables are cables. I think having components that limit your system or don't add any potential to the overall music, changing cables to a high end cable might be disappointing. thinking, crap! I payed a ton for these cables and it sounds the same! I think if you have excellent speakers and excellent cables, you will hear differences changing components.

Super Cool! I think I finally figured out the right way to explain it!!! The way I heard it originally was something like this.."Think about it like it's a turd, you can wash the turd, you can dry the turd, you can even polish the turd, BUT IT'S STILL A TURD! So whatever you put in it or take out of it will look and smell like the turd. ](*,)
So I held mine in long enough and eventually $hit the diamonds that we are currently listening to! =D> =D> =D> :D (more style points?)

WTF! You kind of lost me on the whole Turd thing? So, I have to eat more cheese and dairy products totally plugging up my system, and, ummm. oh never mind, I just figured it out! LOL!!!

Return to “Reviews for Equipment other than Carver / Sunfire”