FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:19 am

Who the Lightstar Direct's creator?

<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:27 pm

Who the Lightstar Direct's creator?

Was the Lighstar Direct designed by Bob Carver?
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Who the Direct's creator?

My understanding is that he did have a hand in it at the beginning, but that he was not there to see the project through. He took the concepts laid out in the Lightstar and formed Sunfire around it. Those that took over for Bob in the design part turned to Dan Laufman, who Bob was using as a source for circuit board designed in China, to finish the Lightstar project. Dan Laufman became a key figure at Phoenix Gold, but when Bob was finally able to regain the rights to his name, Lightstar came to an end.

Dan purchased the manufacturer in China that was doing all the design and building of the PG stuff and started Emotiva shortly thereafter. Their first amp was a clone of a Carver Digital amp, and shared identical construction, soundcards and specs.

I am not confident that my post is 100% correct as it has been gleaned from research on the web and old conversations with Bob... I hope someone with more knowledge than I will step up with their input.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:37 pm

Thanks. I knew the Lightstar amp was his design but i wasn't so sure about the preamp. I didn't know he laid down the ground work for the preamp before he left.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:49 pm

I thought you were refering to the amp... my bad. It would stand to reason however that both were developed about the same time., and although it may have begun with Bob, it may have had someone else's hands all over it after he left the company. I will try and get some information from him next time we speak, or you can get to Carverfest and ask him yourself. :D \:D/
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:07 am

Re: Who the Lightstar Direct's creator?

You are WAY off....
Bob had NOTHING to do with the Lightstar Direct or the Lightstar II Amplifier.
Bob had finished the design, and prototyping of the Lightstar Reference. When is finished, he took a break, and was gone for about 2 weeks.
When he returned, he came back to a boardroom full of lawyers. That is when he was ousted from the company.
Jim Croft and Vic Richardson took over the Carver Research department when Bob left.
Vic and Jim voiced and did the cosmetic design work on the original Lightstar Reference amplifier.
A guy named Dave Ozzy (who passed away a few years ago) was the one that designed the Lightstar Direct preamp. He was also helped (or did all the work him self, not sure yet)
re-designed the Lightstar Reference amplifier, and made the Lightstar II amplifier. I am pretty sure Jim Croft was the one that voiced both amplifiers.

It's very hard to get some of these details sometimes. I will post more if anything else pertinent comes up.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:14 am

I had a strong feeling I was off on this one.... my statement then would only apply to Carver DIGITAL stuff and NOT to Lightstar. It would sure be nice if someone did a "biography" of Bob and his gear so the facts could be all in one place.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:26 am

Bob and I are talking about doing one...
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:43 pm

Toy Maker wrote:Bob and I are talking about doing one...

James.

Please do, it would be an education to us all.

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:26 pm

I know... I have never done a biography on anyone, and need to look into some structure, and probably learn HOW to do it.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:34 pm

James....where did your avatar go???? I liked the cross-eyed one!!!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:04 am

Toy Maker wrote:I know... I have never done a biography on anyone, and need to look into some structure, and probably learn HOW to do it.

Record EVERYTHING. Ask questions, copy comments, magazine articles, etc. Editors & copy writiers get paid to make it legible.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:41 am

Toy Maker wrote:I know... I have never done a biography on anyone, and need to look into some structure, and probably learn HOW to do it.

A simple format...
Birth
Early life and education, with a backround on early accomplishments
The birth of Phase Linear, history of company and products and why his time there came to an end
Same thing for the Carver Corporation
Ditto for Sunfire
The three above sections should include discussion of ideas and product that never saw the light of day and those that helped advance his knowlege and understanding of his work, and also the impact and contributions of others and how his family life played a role(this is a biography after all :-" )

A glimpse into the future and the direction/role he intends to play in it would also be insightful.

This will be a MASSIVE project, so if you would like some help just ask...
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:04 am

Toy Maker wrote:Bob and I are talking about doing one...

If you do it, throw a phono tube stage in it! :-k
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Some of the interesting parts would be any of his "pals" in the electronics design world and how they shared with one another. The egos, the competition... that sort of stuff.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:33 pm

Well, lets make a new thread, and start posting things that would be interesting to see in a Bob Carver Biography.
Go here and post your ideas. It will be a good place to post and save the ideas for possible use later.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12156

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
Next

Return to Carver Research (Lightstar)