FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:59 am

the Lightstar pre on Ebay

<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:28 pm

the Lightstar pre on Ebay

This one has been teasing me for almost a month now. I made what I thought was a fair offer on it but was turned away, and within the past day or so, the seller contacted me to see if I would extend the offer again. To be honest, this one scares me a bit because no remote means dead pre.

This one appears to come with everything including the box, but at over 20 years old, the question is who can fix it should something go wrong at what cost... can they even be fixed.

I want to pull the trigger here but I just don't know enough to make a good call here. What say you guys?
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:39 am

Re: the Lightstar pre on Ebay

Do you mean the one on eBay for $2100?
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

kingman

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:11 am

BTW it states the original remote is included.
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:33 am

kingman wrote:Do you mean the one on eBay for $2100?

That would be the one... I know it has the remote, but for the 1750 I offered, I still feel somewhat hesitant to bite on this one.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

kingman

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:32 pm

It's a great preamp, very neutral, and a perfect match for the Lightstar amp. What are you going to run it with, your tube amps?
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:26 pm

There is a ic in the pre if it ever fails, it is a boat anchor . No ic substitute , or work around . That is what I know. I also have a remote for a lightstar pre.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:05 pm

I had one for a short time and it sounded extremely good. I sold it on eBay and the buyer contacted me about a year and a half later asking me if I could find him another one. I asked him what happened and he said the IC failed-- he sent it to Rolland and apparently his entire set has been used up already as they seem to fail quite often. This was the first I'd ever heard of this problem and I went to Hi-Tech's website and it said in big letters "no more chips for the Lightstar Pre." So yeah, they have a tendency to fail and become nice, expensive door stops.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:17 pm

Too much money and too much risk. Pass.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:19 pm

I wouldn't mind a Lightstar case though for a DIY amp lol... would make a really nice chassis for sure!

But not at that price LOL.....
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:48 pm

The response from the seller...

Dear nooshinjohn1,

I understand where you're coming from.

Two things about the remote...first, it's really big because it has many discrete devices, which means you could actually replace individual parts on it if something ever failed. This is unlike most remotes that are either a sealed case that can't be opened, or more like a pcb style with tiny devices. This remote can actually be taken apart.

The second thing to mention is that if for some reason the remote failed and was non-repairable, a universal remote would operate the unit. Even if you didn't know the exact codes, you could program a learning remote as soon as you received the unit and that way you would always have a backup. Just some thoughts that I had.

The final thing to mention is that this preamp, like most older preamps, contains mostly discrete devices. What this means is most reputable repair shops should be able to fix the most common causes of trouble that usually occur in any preamp or amp, which is usually either a a capacitor or transistor gone bad.

Think about it a bit, and if you end up getting comfortable with it, just get back to me.

Thanks for getting back in contact with me.

<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:41 am

I can not beleave some one could not reproduce the ic for this preamp but no one has tried!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!

Return to Carver Research (Lightstar)