the Lightstar pre on Ebay

Carver Research Forum, Everything Lightstar, Lightstar, Lightstar,
Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Re: the Lightstar pre on Ebay

Post by Miko1971 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:06 pm

I also find it a bit troubling that you couldn't get a IC made. I'm sure if enough money was tossed into the Fire, one could be had. Ic's are certainly easy enough to come by. If the one in this pre is still operational, then you could had it replicated.. Maybe even make a run of a dozen and offer them for sale to recoup the costs... I would.. I remember when they were brand new in the stereo store and how bad ass they were. I was all set to buy the pre and amp till the owner told me Bob left Carver and soon he'll be carrying his new stuff. And I bought my first 300 Sunfire which has never given me 1 problem at all since '96!

fill35U
M-400t CUBE

Post by fill35U » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:16 pm

I don't know anything about digital or Lightstar stuff, but isn't this thing a passive with a bunch of relays to select resistor values for a stepped attenuator? 0 to 63dB by 1dB steps?

Wouldn't an 8-bit up/down counter work? Maybe a DM74LS469 chip? You'd just want to make sure the output register held during clock transitions, so the relays didn't chatter and the volume only moved in 1dB increments.

I would assume the poor relay corresponding to the LSB gets the most wear and tear, but that's the nature of the beast unless you complicate things by more relays to distribute duty.

Basically a manually operated relay implemented 8-bit D/A convertor? :-k

My apologies if that sounds ridiculous, but I foresee having to build a preamp one day and I'm trying to learn.
Living room system: TGP IV, TX-8r, TD-1400, PT-2400(x6), PM-1.5a(x3), TFM-45(x2), TFM-55, Silver Amazings Mk IV

Spares/projects: C-9, M-400, PM-350(x2), M-1.5t(x2), PT-2400(x2-1/2), PT-1800(x4), TGP I, Architectural True Sub, pm420

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:10 am

I seem to remember something about this IC having multiple proprietary functions....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

EndersShadow
TFM-55

Post by EndersShadow » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:58 am

natektronic wrote:
EndersShadow wrote:I wouldn't mind a Lightstar case though for a DIY amp lol... would make a really nice chassis for sure!

But not at that price LOL.....
I have two bricked lightstar pre's. What's the chassis worth to you? I say that now unless this Bill Flannery fella comes through with some programming options.

Nate
Nate:

TBH I doubt we'd be able to come to an agreement. I just need the chassis so all the other stuff (transformer, etc) are to me un-needed (and weigh it down) but likely would factor into what your wanting to get from it. That said some of that stuff could be re-useable for another amp, but I couldn't be sure of that until I got into it.

If you've got a number in mind for them, shoot it to me and we can see.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas

natektronic

Post by natektronic » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:21 pm

EndersShadow wrote:
natektronic wrote:
EndersShadow wrote:I wouldn't mind a Lightstar case though for a DIY amp lol... would make a really nice chassis for sure!

But not at that price LOL.....
I have two bricked lightstar pre's. What's the chassis worth to you? I say that now unless this Bill Flannery fella comes through with some programming options.

Nate
Nate:

TBH I doubt we'd be able to come to an agreement. I just need the chassis so all the other stuff (transformer, etc) are to me un-needed (and weigh it down) but likely would factor into what your wanting to get from it. That said some of that stuff could be re-useable for another amp, but I couldn't be sure of that until I got into it.

Enders,
At this point I think I am going to hang on to both of them, on the off chance an option to resurrect them comes along. Sorry to hang that carrot in front of you.
Primary System:
Preamp - Carver Lightstar Direct
AMP - Carver Lightstar Reference
TT - Rega RP-1
Speakers - Definitive Technologies BP-2000

EndersShadow
TFM-55

Post by EndersShadow » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:24 pm

natektronic wrote:
EndersShadow wrote:
natektronic wrote:

Nate
Nate:

Enders,
At this point I think I am going to hang on to both of them, on the off chance an option to resurrect them comes along. Sorry to hang that carrot in front of you.

No worries. I don't think it would work for what I was planning.

Best of luck resurrecting these beasts.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas

Return to “Carver Research (Lightstar)”