FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:08 pm

Let the fun begin Building Lightstar amps from the ground up

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:38 am

Phantom602 wrote:Did you get the Transformers? If not what are your plans to get transformers built?

Do you know anything about the original transformers at all ??
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Phantom602

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:35 am

I know they are custom built ones with very low impedance. The low impedance is the key. Without this the transformer could not diliver the current when needed. You did get the transformers right?
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:18 am

Toy Maker wrote
This looks like it will make for an interesting weekend... or 10

Hey Ray... can I be in your little club now ??? pleeeeeeeease....
Got Wood ?

Got wood Hell!!!! I'm sporting a Sequoila(sp). Looks like you and Dave are the defacto leaders of the pack. bastids :-) Gee, are 2 Lightstars enough to gain admittance?

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:14 am

Drop the "L", Ray. SEQOUIA.

By the way, like your new sig tag line!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:07 pm

Phantom602 wrote:I know they are custom built ones with very low impedance. The low impedance is the key. Without this the transformer could not diliver the current when needed. You did get the transformers right?

The reason I ask is... I got all the parts for 4 amps... minus 2 transformers ( I have 6 )... I have Sunfire working on the other pair. I hope Rita will be able to pull some magic out of her hat of tricks.

Roland says he is prett sure the Sunfire Signature 300x2 tansformers will work just as well. Problem is... that's a China part, and I don't know if Sunfire can scrape up a set for me.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:39 pm

It'll cost more than a dime, but you can have a specialty x-nfrmr shop custom build you two if you have one you could give them. Keep in mind, they MAY have to destroy the one you give them to do so. [estimated 600-750 per x-nsfrmr]
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:13 pm

treitz3 wrote:It'll cost more than a dime, but you can have a specialty x-nfrmr shop custom build you two if you have one you could give them. Keep in mind, they MAY have to destroy the one you give them to do so. [estimated 600-750 per x-nsfrmr]

Know of anyone ???

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:26 pm

There's a shop in Matthews, NC that the company I used to work for got there work done at. I'll drive by tomorrow and get the company info. if I can find the time. [I'm swamped] If not, ASAP.

If they are out of business or something, I'll give Greg Franklin a jingle. He's the head of R&D. He'll know where to go.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Phantom602

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:37 pm

This company can build it for you.
Give them a call
http://www.toroid.com/
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:46 pm

Nice find 602! These guys are the real deal.

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:37 am

Phantom602 wrote:This company can build it for you.
Give them a call
http://www.toroid.com/

SWEET !!! I called them and left Ming, a message, Let's see what happens. THANKS MAN !!

I also found an original service tech for the Lightstar amps... waiting for a reply from him too.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Phantom602

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:10 am

If Toroid of Maryland can not help you out let me know. I know one localy that can do it. We do about 2 million in business with them so I can pull a few strings.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:29 am

Do you think having the actual transformer will be enough to get a few made ?? I do not have anything on them as far as specs go.
I need (2)... if they rip one apart to make the new ones, I will need (3).
Might just be a good idea to go ahead and make a few extra huh.. say 8-10 ?

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Phantom602

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:43 am

A good transformer company can measure the electrical and resistance to get the design needed. It is unlikely the transformere will need to be damaged. If it comes to that then I would go ahead and get a few extra built.
<<

anatech

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:04 pm

Hello everyone!

Hi everyone,
My first post here.

Those are EI core transformers. Nothing really special about them. Do not try toroid types. The inrush current will be silly and the originals use the top plate as a heat sink (along with the outputs). The down converters use the sides as a heat sink and are thermally decoupled from the top.

If anyone knows where Vic Richardson is, talk to him. He is the engineer who finished this design and put it out the door. I'd love to say hi to him again.

So, the transformer. It should be around 180 VAC center tapped. You can measure the core size to get an idea of what the wattage is. Oversizing it slightly will not hurt as long as the two still fit.

Where ever did you get those PCB's from????

If you see any with heat sink grease under the output transistors, I probably rebuilt them. IF you don't, they should be taken apart and cleaned. We did have trouble with debris under the transistors that would sometimes short. This can take a while to happen. Get it before it gets you! Also, the feedback resistor needs to have the wattage at least doubled and stood up off the PCB.

-Chris
You did what???!
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Research (Lightstar)