FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:44 am

Let the fun begin Building Lightstar amps from the ground up

<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:31 pm

anatech wrote:Always remember that the use (or not) of some components has far more to do with marketing than suitability.

-Chris

Well put.

engtaz
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:09 pm

Re: Hello everyone!

bob p wrote:
anatech wrote:Do not try toroid types. The inrush current will be silly ...

http://www.carverpro.com/2004/xiampspecs.html

http://www.carverpro.com/2004/zrampspecs.html

Those have a striking resemblence to my Lightstar 2.0's interior.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:48 pm

Pic's! we want pic's!

...and it shouldn't be too hard considering the lid is already off. ;)
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:01 pm

treitz3 wrote:Pic's! we want pic's!

Here are a couple photos Roland sent me of an amp he repaired. This is the Lightstar Reference. NOT the Lightstar-2

He took the photos, because there is no service manual, and he needed to make sure everything wend back together correctly.

This is basically what my amps have to look like when they are finished.
I am however going to make a couple changes (on the inside)
Roland said that this is one of the worst amps he ever had to work on. On the sides, behind the screens are the down-converters, which you can't get to, to test without removing parts... so I will probably build mine closer to the Ref.2 in that, the side panels come off to gain access to the down-converters. But I will still look original !!

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Metalbent

TFM-6cb

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:52 pm

Wow, nice score.

Almost looks like the chassis is modular. Perferated sheet, extrusion and sheet metal. Is there any plastic? Check us out at

http://www.qual-fab.com.

What kind of cad system are you using. I use SolidWorks.

Let me know if I can help.

Nelson
Sunfire TGP-3 & 4, Sunfire 300 x 2 amp, Carver TFM-15cb, (3)M-500t, TFM-45, TFM 4.0, HTR-880, CD/A 390t, C-9 , Amazing Silvers

Bass go thump <(. .)> play loud it must!
<<

Phantom602

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:39 pm

James,
On Monday you will have your own lightstar reference to copy.

Well boys, looks like Im out of the lightstar club.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:55 pm

SWEET !!! that where you work ??

What CnC machines do you have? Looks like CnC Lasers ??
MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm More cool toys !!!

I use AutoCAD-2007 and I'm pretty good in the 3-D end.
I also have Max 9 (don't know it as well as I do Acad)

How pricey would you guys be if I were to send you the 3-D cad files of the parts I need of the panels... They look like 3/8" miniplate machined to have like 3/8 flute down the sides, about 3/32" - 1/8" deep, with the top and bottom edges rounded over to about a 3/16"r.
Do you guys do "finishing" as well?? Brushing, anodizing??
I can honestly do the metal work if I have to, but I don't have anyone local that can brush, or anodize anything.

I will draw the parts on 3-D as soon as I get the "OTHER" working Lightstar on Monday. \:D/

I used to work for a company doing nothing but drawing and designing aluminum extrusion profiles years ago... that was cool, we dealt with VAW to get the profiles run. (5000 pound minimums)

The chassis on the LS-1 is a 1 piece aluminum extrusion for the sides, and the back bent into a "U" shape. That I plan to change to (3) milled pieces that will bolt together. Besides, I'm not running the 5000 lb. minimum to get the extrusion re-run for the 30' of metal I need.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:03 pm

Phantom602 wrote:James,
On Monday you will have your own lightstar reference to copy.
Well boys, looks like Im out of the lightstar club.

Yeah, but for donating your Lightstar to a "good cause", we will make you the Club Lightstar:
\:D/ =D> "Honorary Member Of the Month" =D> \:D/
Congratulations !!! =D> Have a pat on the back from me to you =D>

Besides, you know where it is, if your OCCD should start to kick back in !!!!

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Metalbent

TFM-6cb

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:44 pm

We are a sheet metal job shop. We have a 1500 watt Amada laser and 5 turret punch presses and a bunch of press brakes. Also deburring, welding, assembly.

We specialize in punching/lasering parts in the flat then bending them. The extrusion I can do but it's a pain. Usually we farm out the machining. I do have a machine shop that I deal with that is good and charges a fair price.

We can do cosmetic graining/brushing and I deal with various finish vendors. Powder coat, anodize etc. I can also get things silkscreened.

Today I'm taking the front plate of 1 of my M-500t's so I can get it and the handles black anodized.

Let me take a look at the files when you have them and I can see what I can do. As far as pricing goes we can work something out. I do have a set of silvers that I would like to have the ribbons redone or replaced.
Sunfire TGP-3 & 4, Sunfire 300 x 2 amp, Carver TFM-15cb, (3)M-500t, TFM-45, TFM 4.0, HTR-880, CD/A 390t, C-9 , Amazing Silvers

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:21 pm

Metalbent wrote:Let me take a look at the files when you have them and I can see what I can do. As far as pricing goes we can work something out. I do have a set of silvers that I would like to have the ribbons redone or replaced.

Sounds like we might be able to work soemthing out....

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Metalbent

TFM-6cb

Post Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:44 pm

What font did Carver use? I'm going to have to resilkscreen my M-500t after I anodize it black.

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:52 pm

It's standard TimesNewRoman, but it is modified.

Keep in mind the logo is over 20 years old, and they were not using computer fonts back then...

This is a link to a dxf file you can use... it's not 100%, but at least 98%
http://www.carveraudio.com/images/CarverLogo1.dxf
Right click on it, and save it.

Here's what U'r getting but in CAD format:

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:05 pm

As I recall, it is TimesNewRoman that they changed the dithering so the characters came together as they wanted.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:25 am

BillD wrote:As I recall, it is TimesNewRoman that they changed the dithering so the characters came together as they wanted.

It's a little more than just the dithering... the "A" has a little thing at the top that is not in the TNR font, the horizontal stroke on the "A" is higher than the TNR, and the center stroke on the "E"s is shorter than TNR. The legs on the "R"s had to be changed, and the serifs on the "R" had to be shortened.

I modified the TMR to be as close as possible without spending a whole day on it. Anyone that knows anything about vector art, knows just how long a simple thing can take to get perfect.

Here is one that took me 275 hours... all 6 sides are different, and I did it all in AutoCAD. These were taken from original brass pieces I purchased from the FX comapny, scanned, and then redraw/traced in AutoCAD and Flexisign.

And the dragonfly wings took Steve about 100 hours to get perfect. took a super high rez photo of a dragonfly we found on the net, and retraced every line exactly to the real thing.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:51 am

Those are f'n beautiful. On the Carver logo, I see what you're saying. I used to play around with font work before true-type fonts were available. I agree, it is a lot of work to get them perfect.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Return to Carver Research (Lightstar)