FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:50 am

Let the fun begin Building Lightstar amps from the ground up

<<

cabin dweller

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:15 pm

Carver logo font

If we can come up with the matching font I will volunteer to do the graphics work. The font is not Times New Roman, a real close match is Adobe Caslon. I will keep looking, in the mean time I will scan the image and try to clean it up.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:35 pm

Toy Maker wrote:
Here are a couple photos Roland sent me of an amp he repaired. This is the Lightstar Reference. NOT the Lightstar-2

I told ya'll that amp didn't look like anything else inside.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:43 pm

I never knew that the Lightstars were so rare. No wonder they are so coveted. Guess we'll never see one on eBay for $300 then .....
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:16 pm

OBI56 wrote:I never knew that the Lightstars were so rare. No wonder they are so coveted. Guess we'll never see one on eBay for $300 then .....

They're coveted because they sound like music +volume, and nothing else.

And they look so damn good.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:28 pm

Magnaryder wrote:
OBI56 wrote:I never knew that the Lightstars were so rare. No wonder they are so coveted. Guess we'll never see one on eBay for $300 then .....

They're coveted because they sound like music +volume, and nothing else.

And they look so damn good.

ray

Of course they look and sound like nothing else; the one in your avatar pic makes me week in the knees just looking at it. Must feel like owning a Ferrari. It looks great and performs up to its looks, ulnile a Lamborghini which looks great but is a piece of rolling crap.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:34 am

Here's another amp that doesn't look like anything else inside, even has a separate power supply.

<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:14 am

F1nut wrote:Here's another amp that doesn't look like anything else inside, even has a separate power supply.

What kind of amplifier is that? Never seen anything like it, but I've heard that they are out there.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:09 am

Re: Carver logo font

cabin dweller wrote:If we can come up with the matching font I will volunteer to do the graphics work. The font is not Times New Roman, a real close match is Adobe Caslon. I will keep looking, in the mean time I will scan the image and try to clean it up.

I already did it a couple posts back.... just download the .dxf file.
http://www.carveraudio.com/images/CarverLogo1.dxf
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Phantom602

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:47 am

James not going to post pictures of your newest acquisition?
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:35 pm

Took pix. but I keep forgetting my camera at the office... I will get it today
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:49 pm

That's some serious looking gear Jesse. Makes the amp I'm gettin' look cheap. Who's the maker?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:54 pm

as requested....

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:32 pm

FUK N EH !!!!!

Now that's serious hardware.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Phantom602

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:20 pm

Looks Awsome!!!!

I'm glad to see the Lightstar found a good home. Its is so good to see it out of the box. Let me know how it all sounds.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:37 pm

So strange...
all of a sudden I'm starting to feel so superior to the rest of you...

I told Ray this the other night, and I thought it might be interesting for the rest of the crew to hear...

I honestly, never really looked into any of the Lightstar equipment at all... I always thought it was an albatross, the same as the CT-30x... a prototype that wouldn't be worth the scrap weight if anything ever happened to it.
I never paid any attention to anything with the Lightstar name on it. Honestly, I deliberately steered clear of anything I came a cross.
At CarverFest, Ray had his LS rig there, and again, I paid it no attention whatsoever...
After getting back, and listening to Ray's babbling about "Lightstar Lightstar Lightstar" I did a little research, and some reading... and talking to a few people that know WAY more than me, and started to learn just what was behind the Lightstar logo. Wish I had looked into it a little more before.
I have been told, (by 3 people I would NEVER question, OR expect to tell me this) that given the choice, that they would choose a Lightstar product over a Sunfire of equal power. Even the Preamp, They said the Lightstar was preferred over the Sunfire Reference Pre... NEVER would have expected that!!
as Ferris would say,
"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Research (Lightstar)