It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:03 am

Cool analogy on lossless/I-pod and computer driven formats

<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:23 am

Re: Cool analogy on lossless/I-pod and computer driven forma

Well, I think it would be interesting. A "null" test would show if they were even close!
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Null test.

Hey, I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it. I'm just saying that there is no measurement for imaging, sound stage and other factors that there simply isn't any measurement for. This is why Bob states that it will get you close but not quite all of the way there. Well, that and if I'm not mistaken, he tuned it by ear beyond the null test as well.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:25 pm

treitz3 wrote:Hey, I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it. I'm just saying that there is no measurement for imaging, sound stage and other factors that there simply isn't any measurement for. This is why Bob states that it will get you close but not quite all of the way there. Well, that and if I'm not mistaken, he tuned it by ear beyond the null test as well.

IIRC he described it in one of the Q&A sessions in 2008 or 2009.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:26 pm

Since I wasted the space

Another thing we could do is copy an SACD to a PC and play it back to see if anyone can tell them apart.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:42 pm

Not 100% sure about this, but...

Ray, I'm not to sure about this but I don't think you can copy/transfer the SACD layer. It has been my understanding that you would be copying/transferring the CD layer and that you need some really, really expensive machine or whatnot to copy/transfer the SACD layer of the disc.

Magnaryder wrote:IIRC he described it in one of the Q&A sessions in 2008 or 2009.
You are correct. Not sure which year it was though.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:46 pm

Re: Cool analogy on lossless/I-pod and computer driven forma

You can't just rip DSD (SACD) directly to computer (legally). You have to go into the analog domain and convert it back - kinda defeating the purpose. I've done it though. It's like ripping an LP after you convert the SACD to analog. Had to do that with a couple of SACDs that weren't hybrid. The one that comes to mind is a John Coltrane's Blue Train
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Return to Carver Home (Audio)