FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:06 pm

$8 Scosche Interconnects - What's your best pair?

<<

RustinR

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:39 am

$8 Scosche Interconnects - What's your best pair?

Hey All - In the seemingly endless search for better sound though the perfect cable, I've yet to find it. I'm curious what your favorite interconnects are and why, as I'm trying to find the perfect recipe for that ideal open sound, etc.

Here's what I've tried so far,all attached between by pre/pro and the subwoofer crossover:
SSC.jpg
Silver Ribbon Cables - DIY
SSC.jpg (81.18 KiB) Viewed 1469 times

The recipe came from this website: http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize021998.htm

Honestly, I haven't found it to be as wonderful as the review states. In my system, the vocals are very clear and forward, the highs are great, but the bass is very muted and cloudy...kinda sounds like the bass from an old tube amp, not really what I'm looking for.

The next thing, the ever popular Blue Jeans Cable's LC-1: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm
Nice cable, but again, the highs and vocals are good (not quite as good as the silver ribbons), but the bass was subdued, again sounding cloudy and blended together, not crisp, detailed, or full.

The old stand-by, and by far the best so far:
SCOSCHEIcedPurple.jpg
Purple People Eaters - Scosche Iced Purple EFX cables
SCOSCHEIcedPurple.jpg (12.76 KiB) Viewed 1469 times

I've had these in the system from the start, and twice replaced them with the above, only to put them back because the sounded the best. Full bass, airy highs, good vocals, the whole package, for an absolutely bankrupting $8 a set! :) That, and the things are about 18' long, so I could make probably three sets out of one pair if I needed.

I will say, there is a difference as to where I put the cables. The Scosche purple-people-eaters sound best in the pre/pro to crossover run, but the silver ribbons and BJC's sound great when connected between source components and the pre. Must have something to do with a variable signal vs. a fixed one.

What do you all think / like? I'm eager for suggestions!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:41 pm

Re: $8 Scosche Interconnects - What's your best pair?

I really do not have a "best" pair. I have well over 40 IC's that I swap in and out depending on the system I have at the time. Some are $8.00 el cheapo's from Sam's and some are 20 year old Monster Cables that back in the day were over $200.00 all the way up to cables that cost in excess of 4 bills a pair.

While I may prefer one cable over another in one rig, just changing out a component, set of tubes or another IC, SC or PC may make me switch them out again and all of a sudden prefer another one. Most of my silver cables sound basically the same with most characteristics changing the bass, top end and imaging. I generally use these for detail, imaging and transparency. Most of my copper cables generally tame down the brightness and considerably boost the bass and mid bass regions of the spectrum.

So, basically to sum up, there is no way in hell I could name a "best" cable. Of all the cables I use, I chose the one for the "best" location within the rig I have at the time. While it may be the "best" cable in that spot for this rig or that rig, as soon as I change something in the signal path, the "best" cable may no longer be the best cable for the job anymore. That's why I have so many different flavors of IC's.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:12 pm

I don't have much high dollar stuff, but a few. Like most, I have a big box of cheap cables and connectors, and still, I never have what I need. Right now I need a couple simple one male to two female RCA. Do I have any - yes. Can I find them - NO ! ](*,)

I paid near a hundred for a 20" USB cable that now is not long enough for my new arrangement. :lol: So that is my favorite one. Never again will I order when drinking. :-"
<<

RustinR

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:19 pm

treitz3 - 40 IC's, my goodness! That's a quite a collection, but I echo OconeeOrange's situation in that it seems like I have a lot of IC's, but never the one's I need to do what I want to do. Ugh! Like now, for instance, I want to hook my CD player to an outboard D/A converter, and hook that to my pre, but the only interconnects I have free right now are the 2.1m jobbers that I have to go between the pre-amp and the subwoofer crossover. They're annoyingly long for the purpose and make a tangled mess behind my stereo rack.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:19 pm

I have heard these (Shotgun S3 Speaker Interface) but don't own them. Sound is very detailed.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:50 pm

Eh, not that big a collection when you realize.....

RustinR wrote:treitz3 - 40 IC's, my goodness! That's a quite a collection...
Well, when you consider the fact that I have been in this hobby for well over 25 years, it's not that big a deal. It all started with me just getting another IC or whatever and placing the other in a box. I have had such a tremendous turnover of rigs and components going in and out that I just don't have the heart to get rid of any of the connections because [like I mentioned before] what may work great in one application, may not work well in another.

So I keep all of the IC's that I have acquired with the exception of those that I know will NEVER work in any system I assemble just because they sound so bad. A good example of that would be a couple of sets I had of Totem Acoustics IC's. Though they were rather expensive, I could not stand any damned thing about them that produced anything other than chicken shit. I sold all but one pair just to remind me that money means absolutely nothing in this hobby. Well, that and if anybody would ever like to dispute that IC's can't make any difference whatsoever in a rig, I'll just throw those in.

They won't dispute that IC's can't make a difference EVER again.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:50 pm

MIT......when nothing but the best will do.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:05 am

F1nut wrote:MIT......when nothing but the best will do.

I just bought a pair of MIT AVT1 IC's from Larry over on the CP forum. Have not hooked them in yet, but plan to use them from the OPPO stereo out to the TG IV. Hope they will be "Most Excellent"! :D
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

RustinR

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:07 pm

F1nut - I've heard and read great things about MIT's cables, but they are e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e, and I have a hard time justifying paying as much (or more) for an interconnect as I do for a component.

Doug - I'm eager to hear how they sound to you, if they're really worth the investment.

Even my silver DIY's, all in were about $60 / pair for 2.1m, which is a bargain in the audio world, but still they certainly weren't 8x better than my Scosche's, and as mentioned, not even as good in some areas. I don't suppose it's really all that mysterious though, as the Scosche's have all the right ingreadients... nice gold plated, low-mass connectors, small gauge OFC wire and good shielding. Not really any reason they shouldn't sound great.

Has anyone ever used those Audioquest cables with the DBS thingy? I read a review on Stereophile.com about them, and while Art Dudley though they sounded nice, thought they were largely over-priced and the DBS thing was BS. Curious if anyone's ears here say differently.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:12 pm

I use the AQ DBS system on both sets of speaker wires. I'll get into detail later with them as I'm getting ready to sit down and eat with the family but I can say this. They are a damn fine cable, just don't purchase them new as I think Art was right. They aren't worth THAT kind of coin but on the used market, all of a sudden they become a contender.

That said, I have not tried any of their IC's with the DBS'.

<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:05 pm

F1nut - I've heard and read great things about MIT's cables, but they are e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e, and I have a hard time justifying paying as much (or more) for an interconnect as I do for a component.

You're looking at it all wrong. Cables ARE as much of a component as anything else in a rig. To think otherwise is uninformed.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

RustinR

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:31 pm

treitz - Thanks for the insight! I've checked listings for them, and the actual going rate for sets on Audiogon and similar places is much more reasonable.

F1nut - I fully agree, the trouble I have with them is they're just simple, much more so than something like a pre-amp, a surround processor, a power amp, or something like that...to that end, it just seems so hard to justify paying the same price (or substantially more) for a piece of wire with some connectors fastened to it. It is at least somewhat easier to understand MIT charging what they do for their noise-canceling circuitry, etc. embedded into their cable. Perhaps I should just get a set and see if it's worth it! :-k
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:12 pm

It is complicated, especially when you think about what's involved "inside the box". You look at spending a lot for wire between components, and you open up the boxes and what do you find - cheap hookup wire, thin traces, tin/lead solder, components with tin leads. Even if the connectors are gold plated (which isn't a particularly good conductor), the base metal of the connector is even worse. So, unless the components are pretty special, expensive interconnects between average components is perfuming the pig. Now, Jesse runs some superlative components and, in his rig, each component must be up to spec to maintain the quality, as the sound follows the weakest link. But, for me, I'd need to do a lot of component replacing before uber-cables would make a difference.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:41 pm

Connecting computer to stereo seems to be even more of a mystery. I have read on it for hours over months. None agree. Like I said, after a couple beers, I ordered in a hundred dollar 20 inch USB cord. The snake oil is into that market now.

I find that when I read on many "expert" sites, they push high dollar digital cables just like analog. Then later on the same site, they are crowing about the use of some great server (which would be sending a signal over Cat5 cable for miles) or the high dollar Sonus type things that send wireless (surely that must be a step up :lol: )

My question today is whether digital cables make a difference. I understand about crap, but is a high end digital cable better in your experience than a well made one that cost less? I think in all cables, shorter is better, especially USB.

All these experts seem to push what ever they are selling, and flip flop on it from page to page.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:03 pm

A post by Dave Ladely suggests that both he and Bob consider cable technology and sound equation as a fairy tale to be bought by those uninformed. A quote from him "Bob and I also have a chuckle of those expensive cables, what a rip off they are." I am wondering if this is a true statement as concerns Bob today??? Check it out in the biography section by James.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
Next

Return to Carver Home (Audio)