FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:02 pm

What are these for?

<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:01 pm

What are these for?

I have a neighbor that gave me these and told me that I need to have them but the SOB won't tell me what to do with them. Just to prove a point does anyone know why I need them and what there for? by the way this guy is a carver freak and likes to play games. help me mess with this guy!
Attachments
100_1616.JPG
100_1616.JPG (263.97 KiB) Viewed 319 times
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:13 pm

Re: What are these for?

I don't have a clue...
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:24 pm

wrstps wrote: help me mess with this guy!

Yea, had those in 1977, found they detracted from the music and threw them in the fireplace.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:27 pm

kingman wrote:I don't have a clue...

Come on Wayne, the MAN needs help, well actually he just needs to be a MAN and not to be a bitch of his so called friend.
Damn that was hard to post - lost another friend I guess.

OO
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:29 pm

wrstps wrote:I have a neighbor that gave me these and told me that I need to have them but the SOB won't tell me what to do with them. Just to prove a point does anyone know why I need them and what there for? by the way this guy is a carver freak and likes to play games. help me mess with this guy!

those appear to be 1.5 ohm resistors. they would go on either positive or negative posts between the amp and speaker in series with the speaker to have that fuzzy, warm sound of a tube amp. that is my guess.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:32 pm

angelod307 wrote:
wrstps wrote:I have a neighbor that gave me these and told me that I need to have them but the SOB won't tell me what to do with them. Just to prove a point does anyone know why I need them and what there for? by the way this guy is a carver freak and likes to play games. help me mess with this guy!

that is my guess.

OR YOU COULD JUST ASK THE GUY!!!!!
<<

Glenlivet

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:48 pm

Only reason they would be heat sinked is to dissipate energy as heat. Got to be resistors.
Possible uses might be to put inline with one leg of the terminals of low impedence speakers, in order to help prevent the output stage of early Carver amps like the Phase Linear 400, from grenading their output transistor array at high drive levels. O:)
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:11 pm

C'mon guys. It's the Bob Carver trick of making a non "t" modded amp sound like one. Just put the resistor in line with the hot side of your speaker cable. at 1½Ω, it will add a tubey sound.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:33 pm

BillD wrote:C'mon guys. It's the Bob Carver trick of making a non "t" modded amp sound like one. Just put the resistor in line with the hot side of your speaker cable. at 1½Ω, it will add a tubey sound.

I was going to post that, but thought the best thing was to let guys who don't know all we do - work it out --- :D =D> :)
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:18 am

BillD wrote:C'mon guys. It's the Bob Carver trick of making a non "t" modded amp sound like one. Just put the resistor in line with the hot side of your speaker cable. at 1½Ω, it will add a tubey sound.

That is what they are for. Does it make a SS amp sound like a tube amp? Not a fucking chance.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:20 am

Perhaps I should have said "tubby" rather than "tubey". But, Jesse's right, they don't make a SS amp sound like a tube amp. Indeed, none of the Carver amps with the "t" mod sound anything like tube amps, either.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:25 am

F1nut wrote:

That is what they are for. Does it make a SS amp sound like a tube amp? Not a fucking chance.

I really like the way you tell it.
\:D/ :lol:
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:29 am

Man.. You guys aren't very helpful. [-X

Watch these....

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

wrstps

TFM-6cb

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:38 am

Thanks all for the help. And nobody lost any friends here. The person who gave these to me was at one time a design engineer for Adcom back in the day. Although he has a ton of gear from Adcom his wife prefers the sound of my Silvers to his big Bozaks. This really pisses him off! Now back to the rest of the story….I sent my ribbons to James and Dave for repair just before Christmas and took out my second system that consist of a GFA-5400 and pre, plus cd player with Ohm Walsh 3s. By no means does this system compare to the Carver equipment (very bright on the top end) so I guess I complained a little as did his wife, beer makes me do stupid things! Along comes Saturday, he stops by and hands me these little things and tells me these will make the Adcom amp sound like a carver. I just have to figure it out. We do all kinds of crazy things to each other as a matter of fact while he was putting up his Christmas lights on his house I would wait till he got on the ladder and call his home phone he came down 5 times to go in and answer before I stopped calling him. My wife and I laughed for hours (had to be there) for the full effect. Thanks to all…..
Ray
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:13 am

[quote="wrstps"] while he was putting up his Christmas lights on his house I would wait till he got on the ladder and call his home phone he came down 5 times to go in and answer before I stopped calling him. My wife and I laughed for hours (had to be there) for the full effect. Thanks to all…..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That is funny!!!

Return to Carver Home (Audio)