FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:05 am

M-1.5t

<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:13 pm

M-1.5t

I just picked up another M-1.5t and I must say, I think it's the best sounding of all the "M" series amplifiers. Very clean, natural sounding amplifier with boat loads of power, easily comparible to the TFM-45, possibly better in my opinion. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :D
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: M-1.5t

Congrats and interesting observation. You gonna sell this one also?
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Well, I'm going to eventually take in to have it recapped then possibly put it up for sale. I just bought a Sunfire 225x5 last week and it should be here on Friday. I'm going to do some serious comparisons with a stack of Carvers against the Sunfire this coming up weekend with some friends and if the Sunfire can hold its own, I'll sell off the Carvers. So far, I'll be comparing a refurbished M-4.0t, M-1.5t, TFM-45, TFM-35, M-500t and an A-500x to the 225x5, all running through my TGP-5, with and without a subwoofer. It should make for an interesting evening. \:D/ \:D/ I can say right now that it looks like the M-1.5t is going to be the one to really compare against it as I already like it over the other amps I have sitting here. You know, now that I think about it, I had a M-1.5t when I picked up my 400x5 and I preferred the Sunfire. :-k I was still using my old, low end Denon receiver as a preamp though. Anyway, it's going to be a fun evening, a few friends, some ice cold brews and lots of good music!! :D :D
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:08 pm

I had the 1.5 and the 4.0 at the same time and both sound great but the 4.0 is still here if that tells you which one I consider the better of the 2. Congrats on the M1.5.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:27 pm

The M1.5t was my very first Carver product~ it's a beast!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:59 pm

The M-4.0t that's in my avatar was completely recapped and refurbished at Rita's and it sounds very nice. I was actually there when Bob Carver signed it and he told me that the M-4.0t has a 1 ohm resistor in the output stage to give it the "tube like" sound, I'm guessing like the current source on the Sunfire amplifiers? Anyway, I preferred the current source on my old CRS-3 ribbon speakers and currently use it on my AL-3s downstairs but not with the Klipsch horns. Voltage source sounds the best in my opinion when running the KLF-30s, maybe that's why I like the M-1.5t better.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:21 am

I was going to sell my 1.5t for parts as it works but has the burned power supply that got switched,,,anyhow I was going to use the money made from that sale to add to getting another 1.5t :-k :-k :-k
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:38 am

Any of you M1.5t owners seen or used these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220651015690&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I bought one of these recently off eBay and haven't installed it yet, but will say that the components are high quality and the circuit board is a professional, custom layout, not a garage shop job (to facilitate perfect fit). I will be installing it in the not too distant future. Based on what I see, I would recommend it for any who intend to keep their M1.5t units going...
<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:13 am

Yeah, that guy was on here last year.

Personally, I'd just send to Rolland or RIta for a full refurb.
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:41 am

TNRabbit wrote:Yeah, that guy was on here last year.

Personally, I'd just send to Rolland or Rita for a full refurb.

That's certainly a viable option. The instructions with the assembly even state that if you're not comfortable or not proficient at soldering you should refer the work to someone who is. Myself, I'm frugal and figure I might as well utilize the NASA high-precision soldering techniques that Uncle Sam taught me all those years ago.
<<

duplonge

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:10 pm

1. You'll enjoy the equipment more if you do the repair yourself, and have a feeling of accomplishment for having done it yourself.

2. You'll have extra money free to buy more gear!!!

3. I guess you're close to Rita, so you could drop it off, but most would have to have their equipment banged around on UPS to get the amp to and from the repair center.

My two cents!

Les
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:15 pm

duplonge wrote:1. You'll enjoy the equipment more if you do the repair yourself, and have a feeling of accomplishment for having done it yourself.

2. You'll have extra money free to buy more gear!!!

3. I guess you're close to Rita, so you could drop it off, but most would have to have their equipment banged around on UPS to get the amp to and from the repair center.

My two cents!

Les

Good post --

It adds to my belief that for many here it is not about the tunes, but the hardware. :D
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:39 pm

I can see how it can turn in that direction (it's kind of fun) as I'm always switching gear in and out in my system. I've found that every piece of equipment adds it's own sound to the system; amplifiers, preamps, speakers, cd players and even I-pods (amongst other things.) :D One thing I can say for certain though is my radio, cd player or I-pod is running almost 24/7 and I've been rapidly rebuilding my CD collection. Most of my CDs were stolen a few years ago, around the same time I started downloading a gazillion free songs from napster so I never replaced them. I love music and even if I couldn't afford a nice system I'd still be listening to something, just as I have for many years. 8)
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:46 pm

As far as tech work, I leave that to Rita & Bill. They are both great people and do excellent work. I sell most of the stuff I have fixed anyway and I'm happy to support my local repair shop. :D :D 8)
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:24 pm

It's not about being able to solder in the big caps--it's about the dozens of other components that need checking & brought up to spec....
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

Next

Return to Carver Home (Audio)