FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:29 pm

Thanks to thuffman03 for 390t

<<

rah

M-400t CUBE

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:37 pm

Thanks to thuffman03 for 390t

Just a note to thank Tom for the excellent SD/A-390t he sold me.

Because it will have heavy use in my office I asked him about the opening/closing/disc changing smoothness of his unit.

He said these had a reputation from day one to be a bit noisy and his was no exception.

Beside the plastic tray noise, I think it's very smooth and quiet for a changer. Certainly much better than my Sony SACD changer which always sounds like its on its death march.

Thanks Tom.
My office (and only) system:
Sunfire Ultimate Receiver (thanks jjptkd!)
Sunfire Theater Grand Processor (with original remote!)
Carver TD-1770
Klipsch Chorus II's
Sony CA70ES 5-disc changer
Sony SACD 5-disc changer
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Re: Thanks to thuffman03 for 390t

Congrats on the new CD player! =D> How are those Chorus IIs treating you? I responded to you about the Ultimate Receiver awhile back, not sure if you caught that or not. Anyway, nice setup and like our founding father would say, "enjoy the music!" :D :D
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

rah

M-400t CUBE

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:59 pm

jjptkd wrote:Congrats on the new CD player! =D> How are those Chorus IIs treating you? I responded to you about the Ultimate Receiver awhile back, not sure if you caught that or not. Anyway, nice setup and like our founding father would say, "enjoy the music!" :D :D

I love the Chorus II's. But I also miss the Magnepan 2.7's I recently sold, really because I got tired of moving and swapping Klipsch's/Maggies all the time depending on my mood. Thought, I need to decide on one or the other. The Chorus II's have that "you are there" sound but dang, I miss Maggie.
Carver TD-1770
Klipsch Chorus II's
Sony SACD 5-disc changer
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:08 pm

Congrats on your purchase!!! Enjoy the music!!! \:D/
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Before you cry too hard for "Maggie" you might want to switch preamps as I found it to be a bigger improvement, or atleast as big, as switching to a Sunfire amp. The TGP-III & IV are great but I like my TGP-5 even better. Trust me, you'll get a lot more out of your system if you step up your preamp.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:00 pm

jjptkd wrote:Before you cry too hard for "Maggie" you might want to switch preamps as I found it to be a bigger improvement, or atleast as big, as switching to a Sunfire amp. The TGP-III & IV are great but I like my TGP-5 even better. Trust me, you'll get a lot more out of your system if you step up your preamp.

Maybe I should question that reply as I am a firm believer that crap is better than the good stuff. :-"

Ok, just trying to join in the thread and not be as obvious as Wayne. :rolleyes:
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:11 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:
jjptkd wrote:Before you cry too hard for "Maggie" you might want to switch preamps as I found it to be a bigger improvement, or atleast as big, as switching to a Sunfire amp. The TGP-III & IV are great but I like my TGP-5 even better. Trust me, you'll get a lot more out of your system if you step up your preamp.

Maybe I should question that reply as I am a firm believer that crap is better than the good stuff. :-"

Ok, just trying to join in the thread and not be as obvious as Wayne. :rolleyes:

You're as unobvious as an elephant in a dog show Bill!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:21 pm

With my old Denon receiver as a preamp I noticed bigger differences in amplifiers then I do with the Sunfire preamp. As soon as I started running the Sunfire pre, the soundstage grew in all directions, bass got tighter, deeper and all the little details in the music are all well pronounced. Now when I switch amplifiers, Carver to Carver, Carver to Sunfire etc, I still hear a difference but not as much as before. I was even considering sticking with Carver amps since the Sunfire preamp made them sound so much better, but then the Sunfire 225x5 showed up this morning and I'm in love again... :D :D \:D/ \:D/ Now my next move is going to be a nice CD player-- not sure if I want tube or not at this point tough. :-k
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

rah

M-400t CUBE

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:42 pm

No doubt a TPG-5 would be an improvement, but in my office enviroment, the improvement would not be worth the money. My money, anyway.

Now that same money could buy some Maggies that are a quite different listen from the Klipch's, regardless of preamp, and I would enjoy both the Klipsch's and Magnepans.

Based on my value of money, another pair of Maggies would give me a lot more out of my system.
Carver TD-1770
Klipsch Chorus II's
Sony SACD 5-disc changer
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:44 pm

My preamp is my BenchMark DAC ---
I just don't have the room for more.
I don't think it adds or takes much to/from the tunes.

(can you believe the KING slipped another one, the guy has no shame)
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:56 pm

Congrats, Tom is good people.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:05 pm

I've got a set of Magnepan MG IIc in my downstairs zone 2 office setup with a true subwoofer MKII and they're great. Definitely a different sound then my AL-3s or the Klipsch KLF-30s. The nice thing about the Maggies is how good they sound at low volumes-- nice and full, big sound without the desire to crank them up. The Carver AL-3s actually sound closer to the Klipsch's then the Maggies.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15

Return to Carver Home (Audio)