FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:44 pm

"Tube" Roadshow?

<<

dyeraudio

TFM-75

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:00 pm

"Tube" Roadshow?

Well since so many people have so many varied opinions about what tubes to roll in their equipment, what about a "tube roadshow". Now I don't know much about tubes other than I LOVE the way my 490t sounds but there seems to be quite a bit of interest in rolling different tubes in it. Just a thought...maybe sending tubes back and forth in the mail is too risky...let me know what you guys think.
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: "Tube" Roadshow?

I have NOS Amperex 6dj8's (orange glob with halo getters) in my SD/A 390t and they sound awesome. I am also using the Amperex 6dj8's (orange glob with "A" frame dimple disc getters) in my Sunfire preamp. They also sound great. I also have Amperex Bugle Boys floating around that I have used in the Sunfire. The Bugle Boys and the Orange globes are VERY close in sound. The Bugle Boys might have a little more "air" the orange globes maybe a slightly richer sound. I have to listen to them back to back again. I used to have JAN Philips 6dj8's in the Sunfire and both Amperex tubes are superior in everyway. Stay away from Sovtek 6922. They will do the job but they will not let you get the most out of you system.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:08 pm

Snoop65 wrote:I have NOS Amperex 6dj8's (orange glob with halo getters) in my SD/A 390t and they sound awesome. I am also using the Amperex 6dj8's (orange glob with "A" frame dimple disc getters) in my Sunfire preamp. They also sound great. I also have Amperex Bugle Boys floating around that I have used in the Sunfire. The Bugle Boys and the Orange globes are VERY close in sound. The Bugle Boys might have a little more "air" the orange globes maybe a slightly richer sound. I have to listen to them back to back again. I used to have JAN Philips 6dj8's in the Sunfire and both Amperex tubes are superior in everyway. Stay away from Sovtek 6922. They will do the job but they will not let you get the most out of you system.

Correction those were not JAN Philips 6dj8's they were JAN Philips 6922
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:37 am

Sounds interesting, I'm game.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:30 pm

OK, I thought I'd let this thread take its own course and apparently, it did. It pretty much stopped on the tracks.

Here's my thoughts on this. It's a good idea and then again, it's a bad idea. Hear me out.

Good idea -
Folks get to tube roll without spending more than the cost of postage to mail relatively light items.
Folks get a chance to hear something other than what they currently have.
Folks may hear something that they never thought possible out of their system before.
I may have an idea(s) for getting some tubes to roll on the cheap.

Bad idea -
Tubes generally do not like movement and we all know how the shipping companies handle "fragile" equipment.
A tube that tests good prior to shipping may be delivered with a short that blows a piece of gear up as soon as it is turned on.
Not many forum members have a tube tester to check for this prior to install.
Many tubes that are sought after or you would want to install in your rig are expensive.
The generic or non-sought after tubes may not yield the desired positive end result.
Who is going to pay for a tube that is damaged either by a user, gear or the shipping company?
What happens when a roadshow tube blows up somebody's baby?

I don't mind setting one up but there has to be more than two or three folks interested. There also has to be a crystal clear rule that whatever tubes go into the roadshow are basically not going to be returned. Another thing that needs to be crystal clear is that the user of said tubes will NOT be reimbursed for any gear damaged by said tubes. I don't care if the unit costs 50 bucks or 5K.

OK, I have said my peace. I'm in if we can get it rolling but before we start anything like this, we need to talk about the different scenarios that may play out and plan for them ahead of time. Not when it's too late.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:40 pm

I think a tube swap/compare would be best done at Carverfest were we can have tube testing equipment and don't have to worry about UPS throwing them in and out of trucks.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:45 pm

That's an idea but an only once a year turnaround? Kinda defeats the point don't you think?

Maybe for the higher priced tubes and the hardcore members but still.....
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:18 pm

Yall just bring some of them bad boys to Carverfest and let me hear 'em. \:D/
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:20 pm

Oh, trust me. There will be tube gear there. No doubt. No doubt at all.

<<

dyeraudio

TFM-75

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:36 pm

Thank you Skip !!! Thoroughly enjoying the E88CC's in my 490t.......switching to the 6922's tomorrow for a week of listening.....wondering if ANYTHING will touch these 1963 Amperexs'.... :-k :-k they sound AMAZING!
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:33 am

I would like to try some different ones, not sold on the amperex I put in my 390t yet
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 amazing speakers in natural oak & Douglas connection cables
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:25 am

frenchguy wrote:I would like to try some different ones, not sold on the amperex I put in my 390t yet

Try Jan Phillips, or if you can find them, Telefunken. I like the RCA/Jan Phillips in my C-19. Haven't had a chance to try the Telefunken, but I've heard glowing reviews of them.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

dyeraudio

TFM-75

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:27 am

http://www.audiotubes.com/

Brent Jesse has a TON of tubes as well as a wealth of information on what to look for and what not to be fooled by.......
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:45 pm

This guy in Portland seems pretty knowledgeable too !

http://classictubeaudio.com/
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:04 am

treitz3 wrote:Oh, trust me. There will be tube gear there. No doubt. No doubt at all.

Folks still buy solid state?
Next

Return to Carver Home (Audio)