It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:39 am

Defect

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:56 pm

Useless post.

John, that doesn't help him at all. Give a little bit more information, will ya'? Jeeeeeezzz....
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Defect

Snoop65 wrote:I agree Adcom has made some nice amps too. None of these will pull me away from my Lightstar though.
Adcom -vs- Lightstar?

Oh, dear. Can you say bright as hell? :shock:
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Useless post.

treitz3 wrote:John, that doesn't help him at all. Give a little bit more information, will ya'? Jeeeeeezzz....

What could be better that 400 watts of tube power?
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:19 pm

nooshinjohn wrote:
treitz3 wrote:John, that doesn't help him at all. Give a little bit more information, will ya'? Jeeeeeezzz....

What could be better that 400 watts of tube power?

Not really trying to be part of the conversation here so sorry but My smart ass,,, can not help Zip my Lips and say 400 watt's of Tube power and the Girl of your Dreams does top just the 400 watt's of tube power, Just say-in :lol:
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:24 pm

treitz3 wrote:Snoop, when it comes to the Krells? They have earned a reputation with me on their own. I have heard many models on many a rig in many an environment. At first, I will admit, I was impressed at the detail and some of the other attributes they had to offer. Then, as I listened further and brought some of my own listening material in, things seemed to change. I would venture to say that the best way to describe what I heard without trying to brand bash was that I noticed that I never got around to tapping my toes in sheer enjoyment of the music. It was just reproduced music, hence, the word sterile.

While it was nice at first, it got old quickly. The next time you hear a Krell, take some of your own listening material in and see if you feel like tapping your toes to the music or whether you just listen. Your observations may be different than mine, as we all appreciate different sounds and we are all also on our own path along our audio journey. Whatever you come up with is good. I'm just saying that maybe you should take another listen before you spend that kind of dough on something that might end up becoming nothing more than just the flavor of the month.

For me, there is a huge difference between "sterile" and seemingly "clinical" and "musical".

Got me there I haven't listened to them long term. Thanks for your input.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:30 pm

nooshinjohn wrote:What could be better that 400 watts of tube power?
John, come on man. If you don't have time to post, that's cool but you are still not helping him. As far as I know, you have yet to hear it for yourself.

Tell him what you are doing and maybe why you are doing it to give the topic a valuable contribution. One liners that hold no background and questions that you can't answer for yourself do not help him. See where I'm getting at?

Snoop, like I said....your observations may differ from mine. No problem there. Just sayin' that you may want to spend some time listening again, with your OWN material, and see if your observations stay the same. Trust me, it's not that I dislike any company or manufacturer. It's just that if I have the chance to save some folks from spending money that they may not fully appreciate in the future? Eh, I'll at least try. Happy listening and enjoy the music, regardless.

<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:21 pm

treitz3 wrote:Adcom -vs- Lightstar?

I'm not going to even try and compare the Lightstar to Adcoms (for one, I've never heard a Lightstar) but the Mosfet versions of the Adcoms are in fact very smooth sounding. My Klipsch horns can become "screechy" very fast with the wrong equipment and the 5500 and 5800 were both very enjoyable to listen to. I was actually able to compare the original 555, the MKii and the 5500 side by side at the same time and the 5500 was a whole different amplifier.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 225x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch KP 250 II (2 Pairs)
Klipsch RSW 15
(2) 18" Klipsch KP 480 Subs
Samson SX3200 (750x2 Sub Amp)
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:38 pm

treitz3 wrote:
John, come on man. If you don't have time to post, that's cool but you are still not helping him. As far as I know, you have yet to hear it for yourself.

Tell him what you are doing and maybe why you are doing it to give the topic a valuable contribution. One liners that hold no background and questions that you can't answer for yourself do not help him. See where I'm getting at?

Snoop, like I said....your observations may differ from mine. No problem there. Just sayin' that you may want to spend some time listening again, with your OWN material, and see if your observations stay the same. Trust me, it's not that I dislike any company or manufacturer. It's just that if I have the chance to save some folks from spending money that they may not fully appreciate in the future? Eh, I'll at least try. Happy listening and enjoy the music, regardless.

Yes it's always about what you like in the end. I'm cool with your views. Since I joined I always thought you were honest and gave constructive comments. My listening experinces with Krells and Mcintosh have ususally been about a hour and I usually have my own music on hand. I have no intentions of buying either amp but if I was to consider "defecting" I will arrange to demo them at home for a week or two. I have to start a new defect thread about preamps now. Thanks for posting again!!! Everybody else keeping posting your amp choices!!!!!!!
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:42 pm

jjptkd wrote:
treitz3 wrote:Adcom -vs- Lightstar?

I'm not going to even try and compare the Lightstar to Adcoms (for one, I've never heard a Lightstar) but the Mosfet versions of the Adcoms are in fact very smooth sounding. My Klipsch horns can become "screechy" very fast with the wrong equipment and the 5500 and 5800 were both very enjoyable to listen to. I was actually able to compare the original 555, the MKii and the 5500 side by side at the same time and the 5500 was a whole different amplifier.

I heard some Adcom 565's on some Maggies years ago and I really liked the combo. I can't compare a Adcom to a Lightstar because I haven't heard them on similar equipment. I just wouldn't consider a Adcom for a LIghtstar.
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:12 pm

treitz3 wrote:

Sorry T3... I don't know where my head was. I have been re-drawing all of the schematics and tagboard layouts so Bob and I can go over them and make some changes so we can get on the same page...

Snoop, I have come to the end of my journey with solid state power. After experiencing some Mcintosh 300wpc tube amps, it became abundantly clear to me that tube amps are the way to go for two channel music. I have compared my Sunfire 425/5 to a few other amps, and cannot make out enough of a difference between it and those I compared it to, including a Krell Showcase and a Mcintosh solid state MC2105. There were differences, but nothing to justify the considerable difference in cost.

Any tube amp that has interested me, like the Macs, have been far above my paygrade. Thankfully I have had support of the master in putting together my tube amps, and when completed, will be the end of my journey for amplifiers. If you ever leave the Carver/Sunfire family, tubes would be well worth looking into.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:05 am

nooshinjohn wrote:I will build my own...

oh i just can't resist.....

if you build it, they will come...... =P~ =P~
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:02 am

nooshinjohn wrote:I will build my own...

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Wish I had the knowledge and talent to do that.
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:35 am

The only amps I'd consider replacing mine with would be Bob's tube amps or Manley or Joule Electra monoblocks. As all are well abouve my budget, My 9t's will probably be in use till I croak.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:58 am

nooshinjohn wrote:

Sorry T3... I don't know where my heard was. I have been re-drawing all of the schematics and tagboard layouts so Bob and I can go over them and make some changes so we can get on the same page...

Thankfully I have had support of the master in putting together my tube amps, and when completed, will be the end of my journey for amplifiers.

Don't mess with the big dog =D>

securedownload_001.jpg
securedownload_001.jpg (143.23 KiB) Viewed 386 times
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:30 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:
nooshinjohn wrote:

Sorry T3... I don't know where my heard was. I have been re-drawing all of the schematics and tagboard layouts so Bob and I can go over them and make some changes so we can get on the same page...

Thankfully I have had support of the master in putting together my tube amps, and when completed, will be the end of my journey for amplifiers.

Don't mess with the big dog =D>

securedownload_001.jpg

LOL!!!!!!!!
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)