It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Defect

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:32 pm

Thanks John.

Snoop65 wrote:Since I joined I always thought you were honest and gave constructive comments.
Thank you for the compliment, you are too kind. I always try my best to not skew the truth concerning any system or piece of gear that I have heard. To me, there is no point in it. Sometimes things are, well, what they are. Nothing more, nothing less.

Very rarely will I offer a glowing review of anything and I am quick to point out even the smallest of observances as well. Yes, even with my own system. Good lord, don't get me started on that as it would be a LONG post and I don't want my butt to get sore while I type. No, my rig isn't that bad, it's just that I have more gripes with my own rig than anybody who has come over ever does. With my goal being the accurate reproduction of music with real music as my reference and reproduced music being limited to just an approximation of real music, I have more gripes than most when it comes to my observations. Hence, my analness [<<< is that a word?] with systems. What may sound great to you or someone else, I may not share the same observances of.

There is a thread around here that shows the progress that John has made on his tube amplifier, if you are interested.

As far as my Adcom comment, allow me to clarify. I most certainly have not heard every single Adcom out there. I'll be the first to admit that. That said, I have heard a lot of them in different rooms and with a plethora of gear, both tubed and SS. Some of them to me are just downright "unlistenable" to me. The brightness of them makes my ears bleed, even with relatively tame speakers. There are some that I have listened too that are OK, but that's where I basically draw the line. They are just OK.

Getting back to my clarification. Please note that I said Adcom -vs- Lightstar. When comparing those two, on the rigs I have heard both of them on, using just sonic memory, the Adcom(s) are bright as hell. All of the ones I have heard, again, when comparing them to a Lightstar. The Lightstar(s) have a real nice overall spectrum of frequencies and a pleasing sonic signature. Not massively powerful as some of the Adcoms are, but they hold their own to a reasonable sound level.

BTW Snoop, the comment you had made about having an in-home trial is highly recommended. Also, where is that thread about the pre-amps?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:38 pm

Re:

treitz3 wrote:Thanks John.

Snoop65 wrote:Since I joined I always thought you were honest and gave constructive comments.
Thank you for the compliment, you are too kind. I always try my best to not skew the truth concerning any system or piece of gear that I have heard. To me, there is no point in it. Sometimes things are, well, what they are. Nothing more, nothing less.

Very rarely will I offer a glowing review of anything and I am quick to point out even the smallest of observances as well. Yes, even with my own system. Good lord, don't get me started on that as it would be a LONG post and I don't want my butt to get sore while I type. No, my rig isn't that bad, it's just that I have more gripes with my own rig than anybody who has come over ever does. With my goal being the accurate reproduction of music with real music as my reference and reproduced music being limited to just an approximation of real music, I have more gripes than most when it comes to my observations. Hence, my analness [<<< is that a word?] with systems. What may sound great to you or someone else, I may not share the same observances of.

There is a thread around here that shows the progress that John has made on his tube amplifier, if you are interested.

As far as my Adcom comment, allow me to clarify. I most certainly have not heard every single Adcom out there. I'll be the first to admit that. That said, I have heard a lot of them in different rooms and with a plethora of gear, both tubed and SS. Some of them to me are just downright "unlistenable" to me. The brightness of them makes my ears bleed, even with relatively tame speakers. There are some that I have listened too that are OK, but that's where I basically draw the line. They are just OK.

Getting back to my clarification. Please note that I said Adcom -vs- Lightstar. When comparing those two, on the rigs I have heard both of them on, using just sonic memory, the Adcom(s) are bright as hell. All of the ones I have heard, again, when comparing them to a Lightstar. The Lightstar(s) have a real nice overall spectrum of frequencies and a pleasing sonic signature. Not massively powerful as some of the Adcoms are, but they hold their own to a reasonable sound level.

BTW Snoop, the comment you had made about having an in-home trial is highly recommended. Also, where is that thread about the pre-amps?

Sounds like you are suffering from audiophile nervosa. Nothing is ever right :lol: At LEAST me and you can agree on the Lightstar.(more chuckling). I waiting for some more post from others here and another dog pic from OconeeOrange before I start the preamp thread. I know I can count on you to be there.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:04 pm

Re: Re:

Snoop65 wrote:Sounds like you are suffering from audiophile nervosa. Nothing is ever right :lol:
Well, I may be anal with my reproduction but that damn sure don't mean I don't enjoy the hell out of it.

Kinda off the beaten subject here.......I'm married to a wonderful wife, Kim. I have a son named Aiden and he's only been stompin' the grounds of this Earth for about a year and a half. My wife used to not be interested in listening to stereo, the "radio" was good enough for her. Now? Her and I always kid each other about who's "turn it is" to listen to some tunes. Gotta love that, eh?

The little man in the family was introduced to music when he was an extremely young lad. While he was in his crib, less than the distance from my elbow to my hand in length, he was listening to music 2 feet away from the stereo while he slept during the day. I didn't try to keep the music at whisper level, I kept it at a reasonable listening level to at times, rather loud. He used to fall asleep to Air Supply every time I'd put it on. Now? As soon as he comes home, he runs into the house and points to the stereo [if it isn't on] and goes "heh".....which is his version of saying that he wants some damned tunes, man!

As soon as the tunes come on, he starts dancing in his own weird, Bill Cosby on drugs way. :D

To me, it's all about the music and its enjoyment. Without it, life is dull. Point being, I'm not anal about the reproduction all the time. I actually do take the time to enjoy it. In fact, I think I feel like creating a nail pop or two before the family gets home. Gotta run now 'cause AC/DC is performing in my living room in t-minus..........
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:33 pm

treitz3 wrote:
Snoop65 wrote:Sounds like you are suffering from audiophile nervosa. Nothing is ever right :lol:
Well, I may be anal with my reproduction but that damn sure don't mean I don't enjoy the hell out of it.

Kinda off the beaten subject here.......I'm married to a wonderful wife, Kim. I have a son named Aiden and he's only been stompin' the grounds of this Earth for about a year and a half. My wife used to not be interested in listening to stereo, the "radio" was good enough for her. Now? Her and I always kid each other about who's "turn it is" to listen to some tunes. Gotta love that, eh?

The little man in the family was introduced to music when he was an extremely young lad. While he was in his crib, less than the distance from my elbow to my hand in length, he was listening to music 2 feet away from the stereo while he slept during the day. I didn't try to keep the music at whisper level, I kept it at a reasonable listening level to at times, rather loud. He used to fall asleep to Air Supply every time I'd put it on. Now? As soon as he comes home, he runs into the house and points to the stereo [if it isn't on] and goes "heh".....which is his version of saying that he wants some damned tunes, man!

As soon as the tunes come on, he starts dancing in his own weird, Bill Cosby on drugs way. :D

To me, it's all about the music and its enjoyment. Without it, life is dull. Point being, I'm not anal about the reproduction all the time. I actually do take the time to enjoy it. In fact, I think I feel like creating a nail pop or two before the family gets home. Gotta run now 'cause AC/DC is performing in my living room in t-minus..........

God bless you and the family! Enjoy the music!!!!
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:31 am

treitz3 wrote:Well, I may be anal with my reproduction but that damn sure don't mean I don't enjoy the hell out of it.

I vote this for quote of the year~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:44 am

TNRabbit wrote:
treitz3 wrote:Well, I may be anal with my reproduction but that damn sure don't mean I don't enjoy the hell out of it.

I vote this for quote of the year~

x1 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:42 am

Re: Defect

I thought anal reproduction produced lawyers.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Return to Carver Home (Audio)