FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:01 pm

Repair m4.0t or buy a Sunfire?

<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:54 pm

Re: Repair m4.0t or buy a Sunfire?

Don wrote:Have my TFM-75 sitting on a rack since I purchased my 7 channel Sunfire. Does the Sunfire sound better? No, not to my ears. Does it sound worse? No, not to my ears. Because of space requirements, I like the convenience of having 7 channels in one chassis.

With my mains being 96 db's efficient, I can't flush out a difference. I should mention my mains have their own ICE amp for each speaker. Therefore the Sunfire and/or 75 are only driving the mids and upper frequencies. Maybe with the more inefficient Plat 4's, I might be able to hear a difference. Maybe, just maybe, but that is a project for another day.

Still have my first Marantz 2270, Pioneer SX-1250, Dynaco's A-25, Small Advents, EPI 360's and my Dual 1249 with Shure v-15 Type Three. The list goes on which is not really important.

Where does it end? It just doesn't. That is what makes this hobby of ours so much fun for all of us old folks.

I should mention my mains have their own ICE amp for each speaker. Therefore the Sunfire and/or 75 are only driving the mids and upper frequencies.

A total abuse of power I tell ya ! :( :D
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:42 pm

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely". :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:57 pm

Don wrote:"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely". :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock:

you'd be correct..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

tonionc

Post Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:05 pm

Nice to see Machiavelli brought into the discussion :)

Thanks again for all the ideas! Since I have not heard back about the Amazings, I think I will be content for now with the DQ10s and have the m4.0t repaired. If I move to Amazings in the future I will seriously consider the Sunfire. Thanks for the comment about an older Sunfire possibly needing repair, too. This has definitely helped me make a short term decision at least and from here, I can save up and prepare for the next experiment.

This has been a great help for me. Thanks!
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Audio)