FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:45 pm

Connecting an iPod to Carver gear...........

<<

dyeraudio

TFM-75

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:54 am

Connecting an iPod to Carver gear...........

So my stepdaughter comes to me and asks me if she can listen to her iPod through my system.....and since she is such a great kid I said yes.....so my question is does anyone here listen to their iPod through their systems.....if so what docking station do you use and what do I need to get to make this happen? Thanks guys.....

*I do NOT condone this type of behavior :lol: so please don't hold this against me.......
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:08 am

Re: Connecting an iPod to Carver gear...........

I listen to my I-pod all the time through my Sunfire gear. I bought a generic docking station from Bestbuy with a remote for $50 that charges the I-pod and has a remote. Most of my MP3s sound just fine, better then radio quality. CDs do sound better of course but since I only have a couple dozen CDs and over 5 thousand MP3s, I end up going to the I-pod. Also, I like to listen to my music loud at times and my CD players skip from the bass, obviously not a problem with the I-pod.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

rah

M-400t CUBE

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:50 am

I use the regular Apple iPod dock that I got from the Apple Store for about $45.

Not as detailed as if listening to the original CD, but for background music such as Anonymous 4 does fine. Crank it up for complex music, and in my opinion, even if ripped in Apple Lossless, can easily tell the difference from the CD.

What I am interested in is the Wadia dock which is supposed to bypass the iPod's internal D/A and take the direct digital signal from the iPod. Guess I could run it directly into my Sunfire preamp.

Anyone have or tried a Wadia iPod dock?
My office (and only) system:
Sunfire Ultimate Receiver (thanks jjptkd!)
Sunfire Theater Grand Processor (with original remote!)
Carver TD-1770
Klipsch Chorus II's
Sony CA70ES 5-disc changer
Sony SACD 5-disc changer
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:55 am

Oh dear....

This thread reminds me of how well toothpaste and orange juice go together. :shock:

Prayers sent.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:31 pm

I do that with my Zune for parties...great to shuffle 1500 songs~

connect thru the phone jack with an rca splitter
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:33 pm

Well, for a lot of people, myself included, it's really more about great tunes then the absolute highest quality sound reproduction. Do I like CD quality better then MP3 quality? Yes. Would I trade my 20 some CDs for my over 5,000 MP3s? NO. Until I can replace a large portion of my I-pod music with CDs or quality digital copies, I'm happily stuck with lesser quality versions of great music. Even with my I-pod plugged in, I'd put my stereo up against the majority of systems out there any day of the week.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

dyeraudio

TFM-75

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:36 pm

Well I am pretty positive my 14 year old daughter doesn't care at all about the quality....lol
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:00 pm

dyeraudio wrote:Well I am pretty positive my 14 year old daughter doesn't care at all about the quality....lol

Heard this somewhere before, but forgot where: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU" or her in this case!!!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:11 pm

dyeraudio wrote:Well I am pretty positive my 14 year old daughter doesn't care at all about the quality....lol

I suggest what Rabbit said. Go to Rat shack & buy a cable the will plug into the Ipod headphone jack with the other end being RCA left/right channel. This works O.K. Not super hifi but O.K.

Pay no attention to the Prius freak with the orange juice/toothpast analogy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:08 pm

My daugther asked me the same thing awhile back and I thought ummmm :-k don't really have a way to set this up and hey wait a minute! My Oppo has a usb port! We plugged her ipod (she had a usb adapter) into the Oppo and there it was playing through the system via Oppo! It sounded like shit to me but she liked it. :lol:
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:22 pm

Alright, alright.....

Two I-pod docks that have had experience with that actually sounded good were the Fat Man tubed dock and whatever Eddie had in his rig at Carverfest last year. My preference between the two nods toward the Fat Man.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:23 pm

Hmmm. I don't know how that works. I thought the Oppo read the device, not the other way around. I wouldn't have thought that the format on the iPod would be something that the Oppo would understand.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:41 pm

BillD wrote:Hmmm. I don't know how that works. I thought the Oppo read the device, not the other way around. I wouldn't have thought that the format on the iPod would be something that the Oppo would understand.

It's been awhile so I thought I would try it again. My wife just got home and she listens to books on her ipod in the car. She has an Apple ipod Nano 16gb. We just plugged it into the Oppo (usb adapter, same one she plugs into the usb port on the computer. brought up the menu on the Sony LED TV and then used the Oppo remote to navigate to usb. Turned on the Sunfire processor and amp to > DVD, clicked OK on the Oppo remote and there it is. Her book is talking through the stereo system. It does work. :D
<<

dyeraudio

TFM-75

Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:23 pm

TNRabbit wrote:I do that with my Zune for parties...great to shuffle 1500 songs~

WTF !!! #-o #-o #-o NO WAY you can plug ANYTHING into a PHONO in/out except a turntable........
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:57 pm

dyeraudio wrote:
TNRabbit wrote:I do that with my Zune for parties...great to shuffle 1500 songs~

WTF !!! #-o #-o #-o NO WAY you can plug ANYTHING into a PHONO in/out except a turntable........

No, dipshit~ :lol:

The HEADphone jack on the Zune!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
Next

Return to Carver Home (Audio)